OS X Lion Fullscreen shows a white screen and windowed has insane mouse lag

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by MatteAce, May 24, 2012.

1. MatteAce

MatteAce Member

Hi there,

If I try to launch DoD on fullscreen on my MBP (2007 Core 2 Duo - ATI x1600 128 - 4gb ram) it only shows a white screen. I can hear audio, pull up steam overlay, and I can hear mouse passing over buttons. It's just all white.

If instead I try to play that in windowed, I get an insane mouse lag, so much that I can actually see the trail left behind the mouse cursor.

I don't have to say that these issues are really preventing me from actually play the game...

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Are you running with the -opengl flag in launch options or something? Since as far as I know that is the only way to get overlay, but it causes misc issues with different people, so I'd disable it and see if the problem goes away.

Alternatively, if you aren't using it, try to use it, who knows.

3. MatteAce

MatteAce Member

hmmm, how do I flag it on a Mac? in the launcher I can just choose resolution, smooth graphics and fullscreen...

4. Daynab

Right click DoD in your Steam library, properties - launch options. Type in -opengl

5. MatteAce

MatteAce Member

ok, did that: no happy news. everything is exactly as before :/

BTW, it's not steam related, since I first bought it with HIB, and as a standalone it had the same exact behaviour.

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Sending this to Ryan.

Exile likes this.
  7. -opengl doesn't do anything on the Mac, because we always force OpenGL mode there. That option is for Windows and Linux people.

The X1600 GPU has problems with non-power-of-two textures; even though on Mac OS X it says it supports them, it doesn't support them well on this hardware...I suspect you're getting bit by that. Since we use a texture the size of the window (or fullscreen resolution), you're probably getting bit by this.

I have an iMac with an X1600 here, so I'll see if I can reproduce it and dig up a solution.

8. Yeah, I was right. Swapped in GL_ARB_texture_rectangle support and it fixes this problem on my iMac (and windowed mode performance is much better too).

This fix will be in the next patch.

MatteAce and Daynab like this.
  9. Daynab

Ah, that explains why the overlay came up, I was really wondering. Oh well, the more you know.

10. MatteAce

MatteAce Member

thanks a lot!! that brings up another question of course... do you have any idea when this patch will be released?

11. Nicholas

June 5th, baby.

Exile likes this.
  12. MatteAce

MatteAce Member

thanks, you just made my day :)

13. MatteAce

MatteAce Member

Just downloaded last patch from Steam, now it works BEAUTIFULLY, thank you!!
    I'm gonna buy the DLC to thank you!

PS: are you the same Ryan C. Gordon on Icculus bugzilla? because I've just sent a bug report for Psychonauts aswell... haha it quite seems I'm bug-stalking you! :cool:

14. Nicholas

That's the same Ryan, yes.

Now if you'll excuse me, we need to borrow him back from Tim Schafer.

Exile and MatteAce like this.