FTL

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Sep 14, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

shaken likes this.
  2. shaken

shaken Member

Listening to it / checking it out while I work. Sounds good. I noticed in your first enemy encounter, something that you may not be aware of. If your weapon system is damaged, it disables the right-most weapon first, which means you should probably put your more important weapons on the left side. I usually put my more reliable weapons there, such as your Burst Lasers, which you had queued up, but which were unfortunately disabled by the enemy ship before you had a chance to fire and disable his.

Just a small tip, if you weren't aware.

EDIT: Oh man, this isn't going well. I'm rooting for ya Krispy.

EDIT2: I don't watch many Let's Plays, but you seem to be doing a damn fine job. It sounds like you are new to the process, but you're doing a good job of keeping the dead air filled with interesting commentary, which is, I'm sure, the most difficult part of doing an Let's Play.

3. shaken

shaken Member

Very much considering using this. I liken ship selection to skill track selection in Dredmor. It pains me that I can't have my choice of the whole lot.

4. Createx

Createx Member

Try this if you want to have more time playing.
    It's not exactly what you are looking for, but the rebel fleet advances a lot slower. Will screw with balance a bit though since you'll have time to gather more scrap.

I beat the final boss with a boarding strategy, using the starting ship (I quite like it, though your starting crew sucks). I failed against each stage before, so I knew what I was up again (ok, after losing for the third time I looked at a guide :D)
    I had two boarding parties and took out the weapons as fast as possible, I didn't take any damage.
    I hope you can see the folder
    Those are some screens from the fight.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. shaken

shaken Member

You heard it here first folks:

Modder-extraordinaire and co-creator of the Swashbucklers mod for Dredmor has been overheard stating, "I do not like Pirates." in his latest Let's Play for the space-roguelike, FTL. This begs the question, what kind of diabolical plot did he have in mind when deciding to take part in the largest pirate-themed mod for Dredmor?!?

Turbo164, Daynab and Kazeto like this.
  6. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

I agree that the Engi B looks awful. I suppose it *could* work if you vented all the air out of everywhere but the pilot station though (no need to fight fires or most invaders if you upgrade doors), but even then having so many unmanned stations at the start of the game is pretty bleh. It might be fun to try as a challenge though.

As for Zoltan B, I've never unlocked it but I assumed 2x Ion Blasts on an 8 sec CD would pair amazingly with the 16 sec Pike Beam the ship also comes with. That thing should tear stuff up! I still need one more achievement on Zoltan A before I can test it though. :( My bigger concern was starting with zero shields (other than the 5 point non-rechargeable Zoltan Shield).

7. shaken

shaken Member

The Engi B ship starts with fine weapons too. It really is a good ship as well. And I haven't gotten the Zoltan ships, but 2 Ion Weapons? Yes please... I can't imagine that would be a bad ship with 2 Ions at the start...

Again, I reiterate, I liken the ship selection to skill tree selection in Dredmor, you may think that some "suck" or are less powerful, but often it just requires a different playstyle.

8. Createx

Createx Member

I made an IRC channel on quakenet, it's #fasterthanlight if anyone cares to join me there :)

9. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I think you are confusing the "lawless hijackers" interpretation of pirates with the "free-wheeling unaligned men (and women) of high adventure" type of pirate. The Swashbucklers mod is clearly focused on the latter, so I see no conflict of mission in those statements.

Turbo164, OmniaNigrum and shaken like this.
  10. shaken

shaken Member

Touché salesman.

11. Godwin

Godwin Member

Hmm, it seems things are even more random than I thought... just had a playthrough where I got loads of scrap, managed to get my third shield :) Was doing really well. Until an enemy attack drone just made mincemeat out of my Engi crew.
    Guess I just had bad luck earlier? Or really good fortune this time... I got handed to me like 2 drone systems and 2 weapons.

12. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I find it VERY useful to target my own ship with bombs - to kill enemy raiders. Works great, if I can manage the fires.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Unless you are using any Zoltan ship. You cannot get bombs aboard the Zoltans even with the shields depleted.

14. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

Having played a bit with Zoltan B now, I can say that you are pretty vulnerable at the start with no regular shield. It's like the stealth ship, the wrong match ups early can sink you (asteroid field, anti-ship drone, etc). The weapon layout is kind of cool though, pike beam just WRECKS stuff if it has no shields up (which 2x ion certainly can arrange).

15. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Slightly off topic, but related -- I saw someone comparing FTL to another game called "Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space". Anyway, out of curiosity, I took a look at it, and although it has a very different combat system, it does seem to be similar in that it is a rogue-like in space with a randomized universe, random events, and so on. I was wondering if anyone has played it or knows anything about it (other than the unwieldy name).

16. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I have the game, got it in a bundle but I haven't played it yet. If you go to the developers website, you can download the first game in the series for free. They also have a few other free games there. :)

Here is the link: http://www.digital-eel.com/games.htm

The free ones are under the STEAL THESE GAMES area. Have fun with the older games to give you a possible taste of the newer games.

17. Godwin

Godwin Member

Haldurson, I tried them out (there's also Strange Adventures In Infinite Space) about 2 or 3 years ago and I found them, despite being interested from text and pictures, rather unplayable.
    I don't exactly recall what about it make me de-install them really quick, but I think it was the complete randomness.
    This coupled with no real felt purpose made it feel like just mucking about in a gambling engine or something.
    It felt unfair, the events were... unfair, and not that cool... something like that.

Oh! Now I remember another thing!! The screenshots: the map that you see in them is the whole game! The largest universe is really small. And you see every corner from the start. That also made me lose interest.

Please take this with a cube of salt because it's really not an honest review.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. shaken

shaken Member

Did not know this was possible:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, it is. But it's not likely to happen (I had it happen twice and I was really surprised both times, though in none of these cases was I in situation as bad as the guy from this video) so counting on it is likely to get you killed (not that your chances of survival are high either way, but why bet on something unlikely).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I believe it's a sequel to "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space" - a really great game that I've sunk a few dozen hours into. SaiIS was all about 20-minute games, while the sequel expands the game systems to allow for longer game - stories.

If you like it, you should really check out "The Ur-Quon Masters" - which is the progenitor of both games.

OmniaNigrum likes this.