forced online playing

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by SangerZonvolt, Mar 7, 2013.

1. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

Yesterday I bought Sim City and I can´t play it cause the servers are down.

Which brings me to the following: I am 99% sure that I will be able to play CE offline, and I want to thank you for that now. Please, please keep at that. I hope I am not wrong.

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Wolg

Wolg Member

Kazeto and Zentay like this.
  3. mining

mining Member

Can CWE have an optional "online mode required" mode?

:p.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

5. Imperial dane

Imperial dane Member

You will need to have the game constantly connected to a steam outlet though.

mining likes this.
  6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Listen to the commissar. Or he'll shoot you.

Kazeto and Imperial dane like this.
  7. What exactly do you mean by that? As in we have to buy it through Steam?

mining likes this.
  8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Short answers:

- You will not need to be connected to the Internet, or our servers, for single-player, offline play.
    - Some interesting things may happen if you *are* connected to our servers, and choose to sign in, but it is not a requirement. You can, of course, disable it from your end. No program should be able to upload data to a server without a user's permission and consent. We are not ready to talk about what 'interesting things' means.
    - You will need to be connected to the Internet for multiplayer (obviously) or round-robin. I sort of think it would be fun to do play-by-email round robin, but I don't know what the logistics of this are yet.
    - You will need to be connected to our servers in order to do other interesting things. We are not ready to talk about what 'other interesting things' means.
    - Our servers run on AWS, including what we're doing for multiplayer. If CE becomes so popular it manages to take out Amazon, we... well, we'll be pretty happy?
    - I believe CE will be available directly from us, similar to the arrangement we now have for Dungeons of Dredmor.

Shorter answer: I believe it was David who said that our philosophy was "basically, don't suck." I still like that philosophy. The programming staff at Gaslamp also believes that making an always-online game is a huge pain in the ass, and if EA can't do it without causing a massive explosion we probably can't either. So, uh, let's not do that!

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's a joke. It's a steampunk game, after all.

Kazeto, Imperial dane and mining like this.
  10. mining

mining Member

Would this be a good or bad birthday present?

11. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Relevant:

simcity tetris i-9cXZC54-950x10000.jpg

Kazeto and mailersmate like this.
  12. Billick

Billick Member

Don't worry guys. EA has informed me that always online DRM is Perfectly Safe.

Kazeto and Imperial dane like this.
  13. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

14. Imperial dane

Imperial dane Member

The fools. Everybody knows piping hot steam is the best solution.

Billick likes this.
  15. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

Gaming has turned into a two tier system with pretty bland AAA stuff and interesting non-AAA stuff. I can't remember the last AAA title that tried something new that wasn't clearly aggressively weighted to the publisher.

It doesn't help that simcity uses the dullest scenario in a city builder I've ever encountered or that it's mechanics are just plain awful (in any of the games) compared to any other builder I've played.

Kazeto likes this.
  16. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

THe last AAA title I remember doing something different was Heavy Rain. The one I am looking forward to is The last of us and The last Guardian.

17. Imperial dane

Imperial dane Member

Looking forward to CoH 2 :D Bioshock Infinite. Metro 2034 and Rome Total war 2. Sure there are crap publishers, but there are also decent ones and good game developers.

But one does certainly see the strategy side of things being heavily neglected as of late and handed over to mid-tier publishers. Though they then proceed to reap the rewards. And of course we have smaller developers like gaslamp games doing excellent work as well.

The Wonders of capitalism :p If there is a demand, then someone will supply.

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Not sure Heavy Rain counts as it's kinda like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (same studio, too).

I want The Last of Us but console-goddamn-exclusive.

19. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

If you exclude every inovative game then of course you have no inovative games lol.

Forgot another one: Age of wonders 3. Only found out last weak that they produce it. Absolutely loved Age of wonders 1, 2 and shadow magic. Just perfect turn based strategy. I think I´ll dig out the old games again.

20. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

are Civilization and HoMM games considered AAA?

if no then i havent bought a AAA in +10 years since i last owned an N64 and bought my Starcraft Broodwar battlechest.