For the Convenience of The New

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Lorrelian, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

And that fisk definition seems off. I've only seen it to mean lutefisk itself or skolling stuff (which itself could be there).

2. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

That definition of fisk was originally proposed by Essence, and I added it here in the hope it would catch on.

It didn't.

So I've laid it to rest, and replaced it with the more common definition. Such is the way of language. Also, updated OP to include YHTNTEP and CoW. Anything else people think forum newbies should know about?

3. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...wait, proc is short for procedure? I thought it was short for procure.

4. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

It's what SkyMuffin said. I dunno jack about how this game actually works under the hood, I just writes what they tells me.

5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

proc is one of those terms with a vastly debated origin, but most people agree it's short for 'procedure' for whatever reason.

Also, in the spirit of YHTNTEP: CoW/CotW/Exp3 all refer to the 2nd paid expansion, Conquest Of The Wizardlands.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

I always heard Proc as Predetermined Random Occurrence. I'm... not sure how much sense that makes, now that I've typed it out.

7. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

In Slovak language 'procedure' means some kind of action (work, etc.) done by following some steps (let's say a cooking recipe) - sorry, but I cannot explain myself properly. If my dictionary is right, then banjo2E's word (procure) is marginally better word. Or Darkmere may be even closer with the random occurrence.

8. mining

mining Member

9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Procedure, yeah.

10. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

11. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I could just edit out "Procedure", since no one is debating what Proc really means....

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

We've been using CotW for Wizardlands. Don't think anybody has referred to it as CoW.

13. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I think I've seen people calling it both in the Announcement thread, and CoW seemed funnier, but if the devs say CotW, that's what they'll get.

14. mutated

mutated Member

Considering we didn't abbreviate YHTNTEP to anything shorter, I'm not at all surprised.

15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have referred to it as CoW several times before you mentioned this. :)

I thought it was funny to say I want to buy a CoW so I could play Cow all day. But then again, it does sound pretty queer. (No, not homosexual. Dictionaries exist for a reason people.)

16. mining

mining Member

I just did a quick google search and it was top result - and the first piece of it was what I was referring to, which doesn't even refer to WoW, which was the main point.

17. actreal

actreal Member

As a forum newb, I'd love to see some of the abbreviations for in game stuff added. I've worked out HHG, BGH and BMD, but NBF eludes me.

18. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

NBF? Wow, I don't think I know that one either. Any input?

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Kazeto likes this.
  20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Noxious Brimstone Flasks. Most people refer to them as "Brimstone Flasks" or just "Brimstone Bombs", so I don't see the point of adding this one.

And yes, I had to dive into the data files to look for often talked about things that would have such an abbreviation. That alone says much about the frequency with which this abbreviation is used.

Also, I propose adding OmniNegro below Wi§p with something like "Don't worry, he likes you too.".