FML

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Warlock, Aug 27, 2012.

1. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Ah, our Inquisitor has arrived. Don't worry, there are no witches here. If we found some, we will ask you if we may burn her. :)

On topic: there is so much I can talk about. I'd rather tell nothing, because the wall-o-text may hurt you. :)

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Very well, I was mostly referring to Warlock's image before my post :p

Uhm... I don't have anything to complain about ;)

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Sure you don't. :)
    Did your company you worked for make the offensive game Ethnic cleansing?
    It sounds like they would make that game.

I haven't really had much bad experiences in real life to be honest. At least none that are noteworthy.
    Everytime I seem to have an issue with someone in real life, they mysteriously disappear...:eek:

Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Sounds like a confession...

DavidB1111 and Kazeto like this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

It was PRIMARILY an actuarial consulting firm, though we also did some medical programs for doctor's offices, and retirement programs, and so on -- about 90% of our clients were insurance agencies (the actuaries would design products for them to sell, and the most common type of program I'd be ask to write would be to create what's known as 'Insurance Illustrations', which were, essentially, simulations over time of a policy's cash value, death benefit, and so on, based on many different factors (everything from projected interest rates to loans taken out of the policy to pay for college, etc.). Frequently, the insurance products would be for companies insuring their executives, and in at least one case, doing some really unethical stuff (one company -- no joke -- was trying to fund the building of a nuclear power plant using insurance on their employees).

And BTW, the owners and most of the partners were orthodox Jewish, so ethnic cleansing wasn't in the cards (yes, us Jews can be racist also, although I'm betting the irony of that is completely lost on those who are). Even though I wasn't religious, I'd be called up in the middle of the day on occasion to help form a minyan for daily prayers (Jewish law says that you need 10 adult men who have been Bar Mitzvad to do certain prayers, and I would be called up as needed -- a couple of the people in the company, including the owner, were rabbis.

OmniNegro likes this.
  6. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I once had a boss that never gave me the biggest possible raise at review time. And this was after constantly telling me for years that I was underpaid. She would remember the smallest mistake I made during the year and then would throw that up as the excuse I didn't get my raise as high as I could have. I mean that literally, a number of times, I made only one mistake during the course of the year and that would be the excuse to keep me from getting my maximum raise.

Also, I was supposed to get paid for miles traveled whenever I had to go somewhere on the job. She did not want to pay me for a trip if I went straight to the other location first and then came into my regular office afterwards. I finally just went straight to my regular office and then made the trip from there so that she couldn't use that excuse anymore. It was like pulling hens teeth with her to get any money/raises at all.

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Oh, okay. I see, Halderson. It's just you mentioned programming and them being racist...so...yeah.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's my birthday today, I opened most of my presents last night. I now have nothing to open until tonight. FML :(

Daynab, TheJadedMieu and OmniaNigrum like this.
  9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I would send you a present via a PM. But that would likely get me banned for violating the rules again.... :p

Happy Elderly Day. :)

*Edit* Here are some ideas that came to mind with a bit of searching. (I love giving presents all the more when it is totally useless and hated by whomever I get it for.)
    Decapitated Teddy Bear Lamp
    Canned Unicorn Meat
    Nothing
    Zombie Jerky
    Zombie Blood Bag

I could go on and on. Cheer up. I spent a few minutes looking for something I have no money to spend on for you. At least someone in the world cares this much for you. :D

Haldurson and mining like this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Thank you, ON. But I'd settle for an adult-size costume of Jessie from Toy Story 2/3.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I never saw any of those movies. And I doubt they would accept my pocket-lint as payment. But really, happy birthday to you.

mining likes this.
  12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Thanks. I guess I'll just have to pretend then.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. mining

mining Member

That's a frigging creepy avatar.

TheJadedMieu and OmniaNigrum like this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. :)

mining likes this.
  15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Don't care :D

mining and OmniaNigrum like this.
  16. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm going to be a complete radical here, and suggest something that no one will ever suggest to you. If you really want to ditch your depression and other issues and they're not caused by some huge trauma (most people's aren't), I have to suggest you go to your local library and look up a book called "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. It literally turned my life around in less than a week.

OmniaNigrum, Kazeto and mining like this.
  17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I don't think mine comes under that category, and I've not heard of a book curing a (potential) medical condition.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Depression can have several causes, and you are right in pointing out that some of those causes are medical (and I'm not just talking about being sad over bad health).

There is a common disconnect in people's brains regarding the nature of mental illness, and it's is sometimes hard to convince others that it is a real thing, which exacerbates the problem, creating an atmosphere where people are ashamed of their illness, cannot easily talk about it and may be unwilling for that reason to seek help.

I just want to illustrate the disconnect. If I drink too much, obviously there are physical consequences -- my speech can be slurred, I may lose balance easily, etc. Furthermore, my behavior can change. My judgement becomes impaired -- things that may seem like a bad idea when I'm sober, suddenly seem more appealing.

And that's something that people accept -- that a chemical that you put into your body can change your behavior, can change your mood, can change your judgment.

But the same person who knows that alcohol does these things, has seen it with their own eyes, is totally incapable of accepting that a different chemical or physical problem can result in the same sorts of changes in behavior or mood or judgement.

If you are depressed because you lost a loved one, broke up with significant other, pet died, or someone in your family is very ill, that is perfectly normal. You may stop eating, or start overeating, you may lose sleep, or want to sleep all the time. And so on -- all the things that people do when they are very sad. But that's not a disorder. And most people gradually will get back to a normal routine.

If you have clinical depression, though, you can feel depressed without any specific reason. Sometimes it really is triggered by a real tragic moment, but it DOESN'T fade with time. That's not normal. And there's very often a physiological explanation.

There seems to be a genetic link to depression -- it can run in families. I know when I was diagnosed, they wanted to check my thyroid, since apparently, depression has been linked to thyroid disorders.

OmniaNigrum, mining and Kazeto like this.
  19. mining

mining Member

Worst case scenario you've learned something new about the world with your time. Best case scenario it fixes everything.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I think my 'fixes' are beyond reading a book.

OmniaNigrum likes this.