Few questions please

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by captainkronos, Sep 24, 2013.

1. captainkronos

captainkronos Member

Thank you both for your replies. So mushrooms are never used in recipes?

As for monster zoos, I'll be a little more circumspect about opening doors from level 2 onward.

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Actually, there are 7 different recipes that use mushrooms, not counting mod recipes (including 2 from Mudwren). Check out Dredmorpedia to get the details.

/edit Correction: 1 recipe uses three different mushrooms, so there are actually only 5 recipes using 6 different mushrooms total.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  3. captainkronos

captainkronos Member

Some more questions if you would be so kind.

1. I know to use levers to open gates but some gates cannot be opened and they all seem to have monsters and loot behind them. Are they there just to frustrate us? Also, reading some of the threads there are references to secret walls. Are they talking about the black walls you can access?

2. What's the deal with the Krong altars? Is there a way where I can get more beneficial blessings as it seems to be a bit hit or miss or perhaps I've been unlucky?

3. One of the crafters turns cheeses into grated cheese which only heal for 3 turns when the original cheese heals for more. The only reason why I think you'd want to do this is to clear some space in your inventory and stack the grated cheeses?

4. Finally, how do you recharge wands?

Thanks again.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

1: Some are secrets, some, like the two lever room are a binary choice. Some you may not be able to open at all but you can push the gates with a skill that has knockback.

2: Krong is a fickle God. All you can do is pray a second time with an archeology skill. I think the first Krong of an item is always positive?

3: I think that's the main reason. But I'm pretty sure there's a recipe that uses grated cheese. Could be wrong.

4: You can't. A long time ago, you used to be able to, but wands were a weird mechanic and too RNG and people didn't like it. Now instead of having recharge, the wand lore skill lets you craft them.

5. Wootah

Wootah Member

Some stuff to add to daynabs comments.

1. There are also secret destructible walls that you need an area of effect skill to destroy. I might be able to get a picture of a few of the common ones from the first level.

2. I have gotten a negative enchant on an item that was never enchanted before.

3. The amount of grated cheese is very close to the amount the main cheese heals. 5 grated cheese is 15 health worth, except that you have to spend more turns eating it, which is a no go in combat.Grated cheese is used to make omelets which are one of the best foods in the game.

6. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

1. You can also teleport anywhere you can see with mathemagic, burglary, ley lines (I think), including behind grates.

2. Krong anvils are pretty much a net loss. The boosts are smaller than the curses, and too many times I've had a curse give me reduced sight and trapsight. This means you don't want to use it on your best gear... but the buffs are small and probably not enough to push sub-par stuff over the best stuff you've found. You can supposedly re-roll the enchantments on an item with This Translate Is All Wrong from archaeology... but that has a chance of wiping off enchantments from your item. SO....... krong anvils are decent if you have a crafting profession and enough materials to make duplicates of a strong piece of gear that you haven't found as an artifact yet. I.e. not worth it.

3. Yeah, you can use the grated stacks to save inventory space and just eat the high-value food (omelettes, grilled cheeses) for combat food. But, if you're a vegan and can't eat meat or cheese anyway, grinding up all that stuff gives you a LOT more lutefisk from the cube than jsut tossing the big items individually. It depends on how dedicated you are to getting lutefisk shrin artifacts.

Haldurson likes this.
  7. captainkronos

captainkronos Member

Excellent stuff as ever. I've been reading old threads to get some ideas (on page 10 of this forum at the moment) and asked about wand recharge because it was mentioned. Obviously it must have been from an old thread.

As for the Krong altars I think I'll not risk my high end stuff. Which reminds me, on weapons and armour what does the stars mean? I thought it meant that an object with say, 5 stars, had +5 armour but then noticed there was a separate symbol for that. So I'm assuming it just shows the quality of the item?

Thanks.

8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I think that the star rating is more related to the price of the item for Brax, than the actual quality of the item. Note that for artifacts, the same basic artifact with a single positive adjustment will have the same rating as the same base artifact with a half-dozen or more positive adjustments. So it's probably more related to the quality of the BASE item, than of actually how good it is.

Kazeto likes this.
  9. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I always thought that higher tier artifacts would allow for more positive adjustments (cf. Evil Chest boosts), rather than the other way around
    However, this might just seem so, just because higher tier artifacts appear more towards the deeper levels, and adjustments just scale with that rather than the star rating.

10. Daynab

The stars don't really mean anything. They used to be a rough indicator of quality and of the floor the item would spawn on at average (10 stars for 10 floors) but since we have 15 floors and still 10 stars now...

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Wootah

Wootah Member

So I promised pictures of destructable walls:

Here is a wall that is always destructable and it always has something hidden behind it. It is fairly obvious because you can see a pocket. Some aren't so obvious.
    DOD Destructable Wall.png
    I use the acid skill targeting the floor in front of the wall since walls are not targetable by this skill, and a piece vanishes.
    DOD Destructable Wall Acid.png
    Now you see that a piece is missing? It may not be obvious, (I should have closed the door), but now there is a black spot behind the door of un-mapped terrain.
    After a second cast of the acid, I can see the item behind the wall.
    DOD Destructable Wall Hidden Item.png

There are tons of places like this in the game. And there are some where it doesn't work properly and you will actually get the wall destroyed and create a black box that looks like unscouted fog except it doesn't have 'cloudly' edges and cannot be scouted (ie you can stand behind it and it will be black box over you).

Kazeto likes this.
  12. captainkronos

captainkronos Member

Wootah, many thanks for the explanation and slide show.

13. captainkronos

captainkronos Member

Sorry for the bump. I know that orbs and tomes are placed in the shield slot but are they counted as shields in the game? Wondering if Shield Bash would work with them.

Also, apart from the tutorials is there a manual at all?

Thanks.

14. Daynab

15. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

About the Krongings. The very first Kronging you do in a game is always positive. After that all bets are off. My experience has been that Krong is less fickle and more of a jackass, but if you're an archaeologist you can just re-translate all the bad things away.