Feed monsters?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benexclaimed, Sep 17, 2013.

1. benexclaimed

benexclaimed Member

I read somewhere that you can actually feed monsters food items. Is this true? If so, how do I do it? Last night I decided to try to feed a monster poison. Instead I ended up drinking it and nearly dying.

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I know that in Rogue itself, and Nethack (maybe some other related games) , you could feed wild dogs or cats by throwing food to them, and tame them. But so far as I know, there's no equivalent action in Dredmor. The best you can do with monsters is feed them your hand (in other words, let them take a bite out of you).

3. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

You *can* feed monsters food, presumably to heal your pets (why you would do that is beyond me, though, when you can resummon most of them). Simply click and drop a food item onto a monster.

SkyMuffin, Kazeto and Haldurson like this.
  4. benexclaimed

benexclaimed Member

I'll have to try that with poison on monsters (or that stupid awful root I ate that ruined my most successful attempt to date).

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Only actual food works, I don't think potions (which poison technically is) will work.

6. benexclaimed

benexclaimed Member

Aaaand final question - is there any point at all in poison aside from the fact that it can be used to craft other things?

7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Suicide

SkyMuffin, Kazeto and Thereddic like this.
  8. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

For that matter, food with special effects doesn't seem to work properly either; you still get the food but not the effect.

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You can use it as an ingredient for things if you create a mod.

Besides, "obligatory in-rogue-like-game poison".

Under normal circumstances yes, but when facing waves of enemies or one bigger thing, you might want to decrease the amount of MP you use up on re-summoning your meat walls so that you'll have more to spend on smiting. Combined with the abundance of food for some builds (80 sandwiches and 900 grated cheese, for example) in the end-game, it's at least worth trying.

10. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The debuff it inflicts could also be called by a 'requirebuffontrigger' or 'requirebuffonnottrigger' in a mod.

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

That, too. Thank you for adding this.