FAXPAX: A Thing What Fax Made

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by FaxCelestis, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You put the whole archive/folder into the "mods" folder in the "documents" directory (if you are using Windows, the directory is different if you have Linux or OS-X), and it should work. If it doesn't, then either you have some weird OS, or you don't know how to install mods (an issue that can be alleviated by reading the modding guide).

2. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

The path you install a mod to is

.../My Documents/Gaslamp Games/Dungeons of Dredmor/mods/[mod name]/[all of the files and folders in the mod]

If a mod's in a zip file, and you see a folder named "mod" and/or other folders, like "sprites" as soon as you open that zip filer, you can just dragg the zip file directly into the mods folder. The game will handle the rest itself.

3. Borodin

Borodin Member

Yes, that appears to work. Thanks very much. :)

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Okay, this is really weird, Faxpax has suddenly become beyond unstable.
    Clutch of Midas crashed the game on leveling up, and now I can't get down to floor 3 because of errors about maces and staff art not being found. :(
    What the hell is going on here. It's like Dungeon of Dredmor lost half it's files or something.
    It's inside the sprite directory. Inside Faxpax.
    But I can't get to level 3 because of it. It crashes because of that or a staff image missing, and they're both there. I really don't get it.
    I tried another staircase, and got a missing axe image message. :(

Okay, the game finally let me get to the third floor, but wow, at least 8 times it crashed, not letting me go down to the next floor. What could be happening?
    All the files are in the right place. Nothing is missing.
    Also, Floor 3 didn't have a shop spawn. So, it must be something related to that.

Attached Files:

6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You know we love you Fax, but I hate to say that the trust is that FaxPax is the least stable mod I have tried. Of the last ten revisions, two would not crash at startup. And those two are terribly unstable.

The images were an issue for a while, but you fixed that. I wish I could even come close to explaining how and why it is unstable for me. But I lack an adequate understanding of it to give useful feedback.

DA skills are cool. Spellsword and Encyclopedia Magicka would also be nice to have, but I can live without them. I will keep playing with them as time goes on and see if I can find anything useful to report. Thank you for the merger. I fear however that I hate losing an hour worth of playing due to seemingly random bugs that crash the game whenever I have the modset loaded and use a bookcase. (That was the last crash I had.)

7. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'll look into it in the morning.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

You have a bigger issue than that though, now, because now FaxPax won't even let down a floor most of the time, except rarely.
    And then, apparently, only if there's not a shop.

9. FaxCelestis

Okay, I'm reindexing every png in this mod because apparently GIMP cannot index a png properly approximately 90% of the time.

10. FaxCelestis

Okay, I've reindexed everything. Stupid GIMP doesn't know how to index pngs like a normal person: it seems to enjoy setting the transparency index to -1 when I'm not looking. 0.5.RevD uploaded. Tell me if it crashes again.

Essence likes this.
  11. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I"ll give it a go soon. A bit tired at the moment.

12. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

[​IMG]

I love you, Fax.

13. FaxCelestis

That ain't me, but lol.

14. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...I guess this is from ID then? Well, you're awesome either way, what with roll the dice being incredibly amazing and all now that I've actually bothered to grab it. Incidentally, is it a script effect that causes you to regain more than one mana per turn with concentration, or...?

15. FaxCelestis

Yeah. <effect type="dot" resistable="0" spell="Regen Mana 3" amount="9" />

<spell name="Regen Mana 3" type="target" >
    <effect type="spellpoints" amount="3" />
    </spell>

16. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I'm experiencing a bit of a cosmetic problem with the Meteorology skill Acid Rain:

[​IMG]

I'm in a safe tile. As far as I can tell, the animation displays one tile lower than it actually should; on the north end of the Acid Rain area of effect there's a line of tiles that display no animation at all but do inflict damage.

Meteorology's quite a fun tree: It's weak to start, but becomes great later on. Acid Rain is just plain amazing; it costs less than Rune of Exploding but deals a good bit more damage (not counting burning). Soothing Rain is extremely powerful, as it's pretty much the only instant-heal skill in the game that has no penalties at all. Other than, y'know, being the sixth skill in its chain.

17. FaxCelestis

That was my intention, actually.

As far as the graphical issue, I'm not sure I can really do anything about that. Those are core DoD sprites using the mine spell mechanics. I guess I could hack together something by adding transparent space to the bottom of a copy of the sprites, but that'd be rather kludgy. It stems from the fact that the mine spell effect is designed for sprites around 16x16, not poison_rain's 20x48.

18. FaxCelestis

0.5 Rev E uploaded. IF YOU HAVE ANY SWALLOW SWORDS, SELL OR FISK THEM BEFORE SWITCHING TO THE NEW VERSION. The graphic for it was apparently a crashy crasher that crashed while crashing.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

My current save has one in a store. And I have the recipe. Will either of these issues cause it to be unstable or crashtastic for me? I can abstain from this until my character dies to a Diggle or I start a new character in any case. I just figure you may already know if I should bother upgrading now or wait a bit first.

Thank you in advance. And thank you for continuing to maintain it for us. We love you for more than just the Hat God that we envy. :)

20. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...Hey, Fax, what're the stats like on the Meteor Storm effect? Because it seems to be doing almost nothing relative to a single round of Acid Rain.