FAXPAX: A Thing What Fax Made

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by FaxCelestis, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Killer2

Killer2 Member

I tried extracting it in the "mods" folder, but apparently it isn't working (I can't see the new skills when starting a new game). Could someone please tell me how I'm supposed to use it?

2. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

You have to keep a folder between the mods folder and the content of the mod.
    Something like this "C:\Users\username\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\mods\MODNAMEFOLDER".
    Anyway, for FaxPax (and lot's of other mods) you can just put the rar file into the "C:\...\mods" folder, and it will work.

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Vitellozzo likes this.
  4. Killer2

Killer2 Member

I've tried to do that. For some reason there was no mods folder, but I created it and put it there. For some reason, it STILL doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

What OS? And what Distro of the game?

Presuming Windows as the OS, and Steam or Desura as the distro, click start and run. Type "cmd" to open a command prompt.

That should start you in a path like C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\ From here, type "cd documents" then "cd gaslamp games" then "cd dungeons of dredmor" then "cd mods" and now you should be in the path where the mod zips should go. If you can find this in Windows Explorer then you are set to copy the mods in place.

If part of this fails, check your spelling. If is simply does not exist, tell me where it failed at and we can find a fix for you.

But note that some of this may differ with different versions of Windows too. So please tell me what version of Windows you use if you use Windows.

Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  6. Killer2

Killer2 Member

I use Windows 7 Ultimate. And I'll try to do what you said, but tomorrow. I am too tired to do this today.

7. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Did you try to activate it from the Mod tab in the launcher?

OmniNegro likes this.
  8. Killer2

Killer2 Member

Well now I feel stupid. Thanks a lot Vitellozzo, that was it. I have no idea how I could have missed it this whole time!

OmniNegro and Vitellozzo like this.
  9. Killer2

Killer2 Member

The mod seems to be working now but I still have a problem. Apparently all of the new abilities that have a cooldown don't refresh their cooldown. It keeps saying for instance "7" even if I make a turn or more.

10. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Just add them again on the skillbar, the same spot where are the skills will work too. It's a bug simple to defeat.

Killer2 and OmniNegro like this.
  11. Killer2

Killer2 Member

Thank you again. That fixed it. A question I'd have...does this mod break the balance of the game in any way? Also, what does it happen if I load an old save with the mod on?

12. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I just tried the executioner skilltree, and it was just fun to play with, not broken nor op.
    I think that they managed to balance all tthe skills if the thread counts 25 pages.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Lol. FAXPAX breaks the game alright. Fax gets blamed for each and every problem with the game as often as I can scream his name in rage. This morning, I spilled my Coffee and blamed him for that too. :D

And the 1.1.2 version of the game saves the mods with the savegame. So even if you update it, your old save will use the old FAXPAX.

As for what happens when you start the game from a save where you did not have FAXPAX while the mod is loaded, it will be saved with the savegame if you save or an autosave happens. Your savegame is literally unplayable without the mod from that point on.

Balance is an opinion with many disagreements. Only you can decide if it balanced or not. But be warned that Fax is a sneaky modder. He has surprises in store for you. :D

I suggest sticking with it for a while. I think you will appreciate it in time. If not, then you can always restart without the mod loaded and play without it.

Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes and no.
    Yes, because it adds more things, more skill trees, and more items, meaning that some older strategies might get supplemented or might stop working as effectively as they did.
    No, because it neither makes the game unwinnable nor does it make it too easy to win. If you sucked you won't become a master, and if you could kill Dredmor consistently it won't make it impossible to get through the first floor.

Overall, I dare say it makes the game slightly easier, but nothing more than that.

DoD now makes copies of mods used when saving the game, so I'm pretty certain it would only load mods used with that save, and all mods used with that save. Thus, it wouldn't change anything; you have to start a new game to play with different mods.

OmniNegro and Vitellozzo like this.
  15. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Panic button: don't load saves if you want to test the mod without breaking your precious digglekiller.

OmniNegro likes this.
  16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You can always backup your saves. Some would call that cheating, but so long as it is legitimate, and not abused, I cannot envision that being cheating. And as a single-player game, you can cheat all you damned well please. I have given directions of how to cheat many times in these very forums. (Much more detailed that specifying that it uses 4 byte integers to hold stats and quantities and such too.)

A cheat is only a cheat when it ruins the game. So long as you have an experiment you want to mess with, you can cheat all you like and call it honest playing. Once the game is impossible to lose at, you are undoubtedly cheating and will lose interest though.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  17. Rakankrad

Rakankrad Member

Suggestion for Fax: a "Double Popped Collars" shirt item for Brofistery.. Really enjoying that tree. If it had items that were custom to it, I'd use it nearly every non-mage runs I do

18. Exvenator

Exvenator Member

I don't know, I have just played this game, and download this mod..
    and there is this error about lightningarc.png, although I've search up a bit and it is said it should have been fixed, but it occurred to me..
    I use version 0.9.RevF, win 7 32bit..

19. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Brofistery is odd because it's lousy with freaking active skills. Can't HOLD all these active skills, literally. With all these active skills there's all these wasted turns not spent using other active shit. 'Specially with these short-ass buffs.

Hey, have nonsense things like Diptheria and Emasculating Pox been fixed? And I haven't seen a Wildfire Flask in a whole bunch of runs, did you give up on it?

20. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

That is an error with the core game files, not with mine. Try validating your game cache.

My latest fix for them should be not crashy. I may have made wildfire craft-only.

OmniaNigrum likes this.