Extremely Stubborn Traps

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Isasaur, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Isasaur

Isasaur Member

Extremely Stubborn Traps (the ones in the corridors to the Anvil of Krong rooms in the Wizardlands) don't trigger the "Try to disarm this? #% chance" when clicked, which would be really awesome since it does a crap ton of damage, it almost killed one of my characters a few minutes ago from trying to click it to disarm it.

Also, I know it says in the description that "No amount of tinkering or thievery is likely to persuade it to move or deactive" but still, there are other traps like that, and instead of them just killing you when you try to disarm them they just say that the chance to disarm the trap is 0% (which is my suggestion, btw).

2. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

From what I recall, most of the damage from that trap is fire. It takes a lot of work, but you can survive it, let alone twice, since you have to pass it twice to use the anvil and leave. Unless you have a way to teleport.
    I think it also does blasting, so AA will help with that.
    Basically, it's a free Krong Anvil, for the cost of 25 damage a hit. From what I remember being hit for.
    I have never seen any other traps like that though.

3. Isasaur

Isasaur Member

I'm sorry, but why do I feel like you didn't read my post? I was saying that the trap doesn't display the chance to disarm thing.

4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

that's because they're not actually traps -- they're customblockers in the room.xml file. :D

Code:
    <customblocker name="Extremely Stubborn Trap" at="1" can_push="0" png="dungeon/trap_hidden.png" passable="1" description="An uber trap is stubbornly guarding this specific bit of floor. No amount of tinkering or thievery is likely to persuade it to move or deactivate."/>
    <element type="anvil" at="2"/>
    <customblocker name="Brazier" at="3" pngSprite="dungeon/brazierB/brazierB" pngFirst="0" pngNum="6" pngRate="100" passable="0" pngAnimate="1" description="These flames burn for the glory of Krong."/>
    <customblocker name="Brazier" at="4" pngSprite="dungeon/brazierB/brazierB" pngFirst="0" pngNum="6" pngRate="100" passable="0" pngAnimate="1" description="These flames burn for the glory of Krong."/>
    <script repeat="-1">
    <condition condition_type="at" id="player" at="1"/>
    <action on="success" action_type="spell" casts="Ignition Bolt" targetat="1"/>
    <action on="success" action_type="spell" casts="Generic Fireball" targetat="1"/>
    <action on="success" action_type="ticker" text="You have been blasted by Krong's favorite firetrap! Consider it a blessing! Krong don't suffer no sissies."/>
      </script>

Those tricky GLGods!

Kazeto and Isasaur like this.
  5. Isasaur

Isasaur Member

Indeed, maybe they should be traps? I still think they should trigger the message, even if it's a 0% message like that other one trap, it would prevent trouble.

Bohandas likes this.
  6. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I agree with this

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Would you believe I am sorry about that.
    I misunderstood you.
    In my defense, I am actually very sick, and I might have hallucinated what you wrote. :(
    I apologize.
    That said, I agree that they are annoying and that they should have that message.

8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

They are traps, of sorts. It's just that you can't disarm those.

9. Createx

Createx Member

Traps can be kicked around or ignored with a high enough sneakiness, I assume GLG simply didn't want those to be traps. It should be easier to distinguish them from traps though, click-to-move can easily kill you here (why on earth do you have that activated?).

10. Isasaur

Isasaur Member

It wasn't click to move, I was trying to deactivate it.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It is a trap for people who use mouse to walk, pretty much. Because of a weird oversight in the pathfinding algorithm, when you use the mouse to move it becomes almost impossible to trigger traps even if you have 0 trap sight and 0 trap affinity (that is, if you know what you are doing). Therefore, "traps" which are not treated as traps by the pathfinding algorithm, and which can not be disarmed and thus just have to be avoided.

12. Isasaur

Isasaur Member

Yeah, the thing is, I don't use mouse to move, but I don't think there's a way to disable traps with the keyboard, is there? So when you try to disable the trap (which it does look like) instead of it saying you can't deactive it or something you just walk on top of it and take the damage, and that's the problem. If you don't know it can't be disarmed, you can't avoid it.

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's the usual "rogue-like" trap. Fall for it once, you will know better. Fall for it twice, shame on you.

That is not to say that I don't see what you are trying to convey. It's just that I don't see these traps as as cruel as some people see them as, and thus I don't feel like they need to be changed (which is not to say I didn't fall for them, because I did - once).

14. Isasaur

Isasaur Member

Yeah, but I just think it's super cheap how it doesn't work like any other trap in the game, usually the only way you're getting hit by traps is:

1. If you don't see it, which is then your fault
    2. You try disarming it when you have a low chance, which is also your fault
    3. You need to get whatever the trap is guarding (but then you usually know the risks and agree to it if you're gonna be stepping on it)

Unless the GLGods intended for the players to try to disarm it and then die to the fire because it doesn't work like a normal trap (note that it even has the same sprite as all the other traps in the game), I seriously think they should change that. Also, sure, you're only gonna get hit by it once, because after the first time you're gonnna know that it's not gonna let you disarm it and instead you're gonna walk on it, but it's still cheap and it gives the player the feeling that they're being punished for trying to disarm it.

15. mining

mining Member

And at worst you'll only ever lose one character to it, ever.

Kazeto likes this.
  16. Createx

Createx Member

Honestly, I don't see any solution for it. GLG clearly didn't want it to be a trap, else they'd have made it one with a ridiculously high level. That you die to it on a low level character is very annoying and pretty much inevitable if you have click-to-move enabled, but to change it so that dying doesn't happen would probably mean a major code rewrite, since you need a new class of objects. Basically, traps that can't be moved or ignored.
    I'd rather they bring out Clockwork Empires sooner than not dying to that trap once :D

Kazeto likes this.
  17. Isasaur

Isasaur Member

Then you haven't thought about it/read the topic. Here's a simple fix: make it not look like a trap and say it's a trap if it isn't a trap

Bohandas likes this.
  18. mining

mining Member

How about the 'bullshit' of root of t'char killing you? It's food, so why doesn't it act like food?

It's pretty simple - if its something that surprises you, but that you then have control over, its not an issue, its a part of the meta-game where you get experience on how to deal with shit in the game.

Giygas, Kazeto and Essence like this.
  19. Isasaur

Isasaur Member

You're comparing things on two different scales, the Root of T'Char is just a flavor item there to kill you, it's not like anyone legitimately tried to eat an item that heals one HP that says "This root shall suffer!! blarg blarg blarg random alien nonsense", I usually don't have a memorized table of what traps I can or cannot disarm at 100% chance, so I click on them to check, which is why I actually stepped on the Extremely Stubborn Trap in the first place, but why does this one thing on the ground, that looks like a trap and is a labeled as a trap work differently than all the other ones?

I mean, you might aswell just have an invisible swinging axe that does 45 damage to you instead of that trap, I actually think that that would be way more fair than what is currently in that small path to the Anvil.

20. mining

mining Member

Ok, different example: How about opening an evil chest the first time, or taking a mysterious portal the first time, or walking up to dredmor the first time, getting smote, then thinking "Nah, he won't do that twice" - the entire point is, you'll fuck it up once, then you won't fuck it up ever again.

Kazeto likes this.