Windows Vista/7 32-bit Experience / Level up bug?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Foxhack, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Foxhack

Foxhack Member

I just bought Conquest of the Wizardlands (yeah, I'm cheap) and started out a new build. So far, so good right? Well in the third room I find this weird Bug person. Okay. S/He's dead.

Then I walk to the next room where there's this purple skeleton guy with a top hat. I hit him, it only does two damage, and he has tons of HP. Crud.

I run away to think of what to do. I'm still Level 1 so I decide to put him to sleep, then fire a Unicorn wand bolt at him. That knocks out most of his HP, so I finish him off with arrows and melee.

I beat him. I get 500 XP. AND I ONLY GAIN ONE LEVEL.

According to the Stats page at the Dredmor Wiki, I need 125 XP to go to Level 2, and 250 to go to Level 3. Now, I thought this would've bumped me up to Level 3 (500-125 = 375, then 375 - 250 = 125 XP left over). But it didn't. Since this is the first time I'd ever gotten so much XP at once, I'm not sure if this was by design or not. So was it? Or did I find a really annoying bug?

Thanks.

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

It's by design. There was a time when you could gain multiple levels at once, and it caused all manner of ills, so they just made it so that extra XP doesn't overflow.

This is only really an issue when you get something like Bee Arthur (240 XP on NTTG) or The Baron (1200!! XP on NTTG) and you're nearing the end of one of the early levels -- but I've deliberately ran away from both, leveled up, and then come back and killed them to get the next level instantly on multiple occasions.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Foxhack

Foxhack Member

Oooooooh. Well that sucks. I had no idea who this Baron guy was or that he'd give me so much XP. He also wouldn't let me run away (he was between the only door that led to the rest of the level) so I had to kill him.

At least I got a cool hat out of it. Thanks for the help. :)