Exiles in Dredmor: Character Building/OOC

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Orion, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Orion

Orion Member

This thread is for the second dredmor-based forum-rpg. I'll GM using the Savage Worlds system. I'm assuming that most people haven't played it yet (It's great by the way) but that shouldn't be an issue because the majority of the core-rules are available for free here: peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

For those unsure how to set up their character feel free to just post some Dredmor skills to represent where you'd like to go with your character (say 3-5 skills). For the most part the Skill Trees in dredmor can be duplicated in Savage Worlds or at least get pretty darn close.

-----
    Character Creation
    ----

The character creation rules you see in Test Drive is pretty much how it'll work with the following exceptions:

--Races--
    There are four races:

Humans:
    *Humans get a free Edge at character creation.

Dwarves
    *Tough: Dwarves begin with a d6 Vigor
    *Infravision: Dwarves halve penalties for lighting (round down).
    *Slow: Dwarves have a Pace of 5"

Elf:
    *Quick: Elves begin with a d6 Agility
    *Low-Light Vision: Elves ignore lighting penalties for Dim and Dark conditions. They also have a +2 bonus to all Notice rolls.
    *Wuss: Elves are fragile and suffer a -1 penalty to Toughness.
    *All Thumbs: Elves automatically have the All Thumbs hindrance and suffer a -2 penalty to Craft rolls and have a higher chance of breaking mechanical/electrical devices.

Vampires:
    *Undead: Vampires receive a +2 bonus to Toughness and +2 to recover from being Shaken. They take no additional damage from Called Shots (except to the heart) and are immune to poison and disease.
    *Blood-Drinker: Vampires cannot eat mortal food and instead must subsist on blood. If they don't feed at least once a day then they starve just like a human would.
    *Unhealing: Vampires cannot heal naturally (although magical healing functions normally on them). If they drink deeply of blood (or other vital fluids) then they can make an immediate Natural Healing roll to recover Wounds. However it's only possible to make this roll once per day.
    *Light Vulnerability: Vampires exposed to sunlight or bright lights suffer a -2 penalty to their rolls due to either painful burning or embarrassing sparkling.

--Traits and Derived Stats--

Skills and Attributes work pretty much the same. I wouldn't bother with Boating, Driving, Piloting, Riding and Streetwise, in case that wasn't obvious. Repair is replaced with Craft (which covers both repairing and creating things). The Arcane skills are also slightly different (see below). The Guts skill is also removed.

--Edges and Hindrances--

Pretty much the same. The test drive rules contain a basic list of the Edges (feel free to ask if you've got any questions about Edges). Remember that at character creation you're limited to Novice Edges.

Everyone also receives a free bonus Edge. So if you're human you get at least 2 Edges at character creation.

Most of the Hindrances function the same but the following are not available: Bloodthirsty, Death Wish, Doubting Thomas, Enemy, Heroic, Illiterate, Outsider, Poverty, Vow and Wanted.

There's a couple of extra ones not listed as well
    -Bleeder (Major. Bleeds profusely after being Wounded).
    -Combat Shock (Major. Make a fear check whenever there's violence)
    -Cursed (Major. Can't benefit from divine powers)
    -Screamer (Minor. Shrieks when exposed to sudden loud noises or injury)
    -Slow (Major. draw two initiative cards and take the worst one).
    -Victim (Major. If something bad happens it happens to you).

--Gear--

I'll provide a list of starting gear you can pick from.

--Magic--

There are five different Arcane Backgrounds: Astrology, Alchemy, Tinkering, Psionics and Magic (which covers more or less everything else). The rules for each Arcane Background and conversion for various Dredmor spells can be found here: http://z-toast.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-savage-powersof-dredmor.html

Remember you're limited to picking Novice powers. Here's a helpful list: http://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/Powers+Index#x-Novice Powers Savage worlds powers are designed to be generic, but altered to suit your character. So "Bolt" is just your standard "ranged attack spell" but you should think about the form your Bolt takes (acid spray, magic arrows, fire, etc) because this can influence how the spell behaves.

--Bennies and XP--

Since there are no "sessions" in a PbP game you'll refresh your Bennies and receive XP whenever you go down a level in the dungeon. You can also receive extra Bennies and XP for various things in game: divine favor, defeating monster zoos, completing quests or defeating major enemy NPCs.

brobbeh likes this.
  2. Orion

Orion Member

Gear

The automatic gear first:

*Anyone with the Thief edge gets a free set of lockpicks (1 lb)
    *Alchemists begin with an Alchemists Trunk (15 lbs) and may start with as many potions as they have power points to make them if they wish.
    *Tinkerers begin with a Toolkit (10 lbs) and any devices they've invented.
    *Astrologers begin with a Fancy Hat which grants +1 charisma when dealing with the gods.

You can also pick out up to 3 pieces of gear from the following list:

-Dagger (1 lb, Str+1d4 damage. Throwable: 3/6/12)
    -Small Mace (4 lbs, Str+1d6)
    -Hatchet (2 lbs, Str+1d6 damage)
    -Short Sword (4 lbs, Str +1d6)
    -Small Crossbow (3 lbs, 2d4 damage, 6/12/24 range) and 5 bolts
    -Leather Armor (torso. +1 armor. 15 lbs)
    -Small Shield (+1 Parry)
    -Bucket (Head, +2 armor, 4 lbs)
    -5 dwarven boomerangs (1lb each, Str+1d4, 4/8/16)
    -2 sticks of dynamite (1 lb each, 2/4/8, 2d6 damage. Medium Burst).

Characters who take Rich, Very Rich or Noble get access to better gear at character creation as well as some starting cash. Otherwise cash starts at 0.

For free everyone can have a suit of clothing and very basic weapons (clubs, wooden swords or staffs).

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

This might help some people (like me) who are new to the rules.

My character is a Psionic healer, for the record, so I got the band-aid role covered. :)

Cy O'Nach

4. Orion

Orion Member

That could definitely be helpful. Just don't forget the bonus Edge everyone receives.

5. Essence

Right! I don't claim to know exactly what it means, but I added Hard to Kill, hopefully to offset being old and feeble a little bit. :)

6. blob

blob Member

Pretty cool how you seem to have adapted all the stuff of Dredmor !

7. Orion

Orion Member

Heh, basically it doesn't make you any harder to hurt, but when you get incapacitated by damage it makes you much more likely to succeed on rolls you make to stay alive.

8. Essence

So...am I the only player, then? :D

9. Orion

Orion Member

Hmm, yeah, unfortunately doesn't look like enough people have interest or spare time to join a second game. Ah well, it's something to keep in mind for the future.

10. blob

blob Member

Dyrynify said he would join I believe, he probably just doesnt have the time yet...

11. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

Sorry, other stuff got in the way. Let me work on a char, and I will play.

12. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

Done, and checking in. I have our thief role taken care of. We still need a meat shield.

Attached Files:

13. Orion

Orion Member

Awesome! Brobbeh were you planning on joining in?

14. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

Does my char look good?

15. Orion

Orion Member

Just finished looking it over and you're actually due a couple of extra character points due to your Hindrances, you've got 2 CP left which can be spent either on a new Edge, a boost to an Attribute, or 2 extra skill points.

16. blob

blob Member

The game system looks pretty cool. I'm already on the other RP so right now I'm not sure I'd have the time to start on a second one ( 3rd one with the one im in with real paper ) yet. : /

17. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

Then I will add Two Fisted.

18. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

Beyond that, I think we are ready.