Every point in a crafting skill should give you 5 extra backpack slots.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by moof, Sep 21, 2011.

1. moof

moof Member

It's pretty pathetic that I would actually use more of the crafting skills if i didn't have to sit there and play tetris with my inventory every time I want to loot a couple items. That or maybe the main crafting skills all have a container that can be made to store items that skill uses mostly , like an a craftable box for smithing that stores 10 ore/gems/metals, an alchemist bag made from alchemy skill that store all the alchemey stuff, etc.

2. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

I think storage bags would probably be the best option; having something dynamically increase your base inventory size would require the UI overlay (the backpack) to have a different image for each size, or be redrawn in a way that allows resizing.

3. jareddm

jareddm Member

Here's the problem with a storage item. It makes it the single most important item in the game. There is absolutely no build that would be made without it as there is zero downside to having one.

It's like in the card game, Magic: The Gathering. The most powerful/expensive card is black lotus because no matter what deck is being made, adding one will make the deck better.

4. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Naw, what moof was talking about was having containers whose sole purpose is holding the detritus needed for crafting. Like having a bag that only held ingots, or something like that. If your build doesn't have any crafting skills, those items either wind up in the Lutefisk Cube, or are only held for the time it takes you to shlep 'em to the store to turn into coin. Their effect on your load is minimal anyway -- unless you're actually wanting to do crafting, which means you get to take up LOTS of space for the materials.

I'd say no to making containers for potions, or bolts, or mushrooms. Anything that you may be actively using should take up space.

5. moof

moof Member

Why does freeing up a few inventory slots make it "the single most important item in the game"?

all it really means is more time playing the game and less time playing inventory tetris.

6. jareddm

jareddm Member

This I'm okay with. Something that only holds ingots would be viable.

Let's say this item was in the game. Now try to think of a single build that would not require you to have this item. Every single person who played would have this item with them at all times. Even extremely useful items like the lutefisk cube still have a downside in that they take up a spot in your inventory. A bag that did nothing but gave more space would negate this only penalty. There is literally zero downside to having this item.

7. moof

moof Member

3/4 of my characters don't give a damn about invetory space. It's only my crafting characters,and god forbid you try two crafting skills. And those are the characters I don't want to play because the inventory is a joke. As I said it would only store crafting items of the subtype of crafting that it came from. Your argument, or lack thereof, makes no sense whatsoever.

8. jareddm

jareddm Member

That's you personally. You survey the community and I have a feeling you'll find a pretty large number of them complain about the lack of inventory space. People like hoarding every item they find. They like trying out multiple crafting skills together, especially if they're new to the game. Now I never had a problem with an item that could only store ingots, only one that gave completely free inventory spaces, which may not have been what you're suggesting, and I never said it was, but it is what I was commenting about. I mean, have you ever seen someone play seriously without having all of the crafting tools? No, because everyone wants them for the extra space, whether they have the ability to craft or not. Adding something that did nothing but give more space with no penalty would just be adding another must-have item to the game.

9. moof

moof Member

Even assuming that the bags held an infinite amount of any kind of item -- who the hell cares?

Do you really think this game is supposed to be about inventory tetris? You continually fail to make any sort of point regarding why simply having more storage space is OMGAWESOMESAUCE.

Everybody wants lutefisk cube. OMG overpowered. Everybody wants an alchemy kit even if they can't make a single thing in it, tinkering same story. OMG overpowered!

10. icantsave

icantsave Member

I love to get to experiment with this game, which is what makes it so fun for me. Let's say that you wanted to make a tinker smith, or an alchemist/tinker/smith, or maybe even for fun throw fungal arts in there too just to see if you can survive with those four skills. I want to get to play a build where I can just go around making the various traps or items for each, to see what it is like. Could I survive with four skill slots taken up like that? I don't know, but it would be fun to try.

Obviously in this game, we don't get every item we need when we want it. Let's say I want to make a cybertronic amulet. I need copper tubing, a plastic ingot and a voltaic cell. I find the plastic ingot pretty easily, but don't find the others as quickly. I use a copper ingot to make the copper tubing, have my plastic ingot, and then I need to either find a voltaic cell or find oil of vitriol, a zinc ingot and a copper ingot to make it. I can't find an oil of vitriol on my current floor, so instead I need saltpetre and brimstone to make oil of vitriol. Just to make this one cybertronic amulet, I need to dedicate up to five slots (plastic ingot, copper ingots, zinc ingots, saltpetre and brimstone) to be able to craft it. I could find 1 of each and not have enough copper ingots, and I have to hold onto those five slots until I find another. In addition to this, I have the alchemist box, distiller, anvil, smelter, and tinkerer box in my inventory. That is ten of the slots already.

If you want to pick up the items needed to make various traps, armors, potions, etc... you'll run out of space extremely quickly. And that's not even counting the need to hold ingots, food, booze, arrows that you find or may craft, enchanted items that you may or may not use at all times (canada hat for example), quest items, or things that you may want to sell for money. If there was just one type of food and one type of booze in the game, or you only played a vampire you could save a little space, but even a vampire still needs booze if they use magic. There are at least twenty or thirty different types of booze alone, and you can't just mix them together to make one kind.

The point to all of this is that you may choose to play the game in a spartan fashion, where you don't need all of the items you find, and you throw them in the lutefisk cube, leave them on the floor or sell them. But some of us would like to use the items we find and play MacGyver: building traps to kill enemies with, fashioning our own powerful bolts, creating our own booze, and maybe even smithing our own armor and weapons, all with the same character. With the current inventory restrictions, that is an impossible character to play unless you leave everything you need in an empty monster room somewhere, and have to keep coming back for what you need. I love the thought of a crafter's bag where you can store the ingots and other materials that a crafter needs. You wouldn't need it for your playthroughs, and others might feel the same way. If we do get that kind of bag though, it won't effect how you play but will make the game more enjoyable for us.

I hope that this makes at least a possible case where a crafter's bag would be useful and not just a crutch.
    Try making that build and create your own arrows, traps, weapons, armor and booze. Live off the 'land', so to speak and you'll see how quickly you run out of space.

11. eggrock

eggrock Member

In my opinion, each crafting tool that the player specializes in should be able to automatically store the base materials for its respective specialty. This would apply only to the 'main' crafting tools:

• Tinkerer Parts store brass piping, copper wire, brass mechanisms and pressure plates.
    • The Junior Anvil stores ingots
    • The Alchemy Box stores Aqua Vitae/Fortis/Regia

If the crafting tool is dropped, sold or placed in the Lutefisk cube, the items in the container are dumped to inventory first, and any excess dropped to the ground. Everything else is the player's problem--hoarders should be forced to deal with my their addiction. ;)

Feynt likes this.
  12. moof

moof Member

What do you mean "automatically store"?

13. Bushwhacker2k

Bushwhacker2k Member

My strategy with my tinkerer/smith(going for the I Didn't Ask for This achievement) is to dump everything of one type in a pile on floor 1, near a shop. It clears up a lot of space to loot stuff and organization is pretty simple.

Though it's true I would just prefer more spaces to having to travel to floor 1 every time my pack gets full or I want to make something.

---

Also, yes, I am a pack-rat, I take just about everything I can find (though I have slimmed down on the w/e food once I hit 50k). I like making use of everything I can, it's part of my play-style, and obviously a lot of other peoples' as well.

14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

+1. Any one crafting skill kills your inventory. Trying two at once requires insane measures to manage. Containers just for ingredients would be so very nice.

15. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Agreed. Containers just for ingredients or the ability for crafting tools to store the crafting ingredients would both go a looooong way towards making inventory management much easier. Now I have to resort to all sorts of crazy tricks, like opening up crafting tools, putting items in each of the slots (which if you have all crafting tools open gives you a temporary 17 slots to play with) and making my way over to a store to sell all the stuff I'm hauling. It's quite a pain.

16. Godwin

Godwin Member

Really good idea!

17. Fax Celestis

Fax Celestis Member

So much +1.

18. more dead

more dead Member

Joined the forum to agree with this thread. Inventory management is totally inadequate for any of the crafters. It's also needlessly frustrating for other characters. I made my first character a fighter-smith and spent most of his time trying to fit all the various ingredients alongside the supplies he needed to win.

Look at it this way. You can already stack huge numbers of any one item in a single inventory slot. If it's overpowered to carry 1 each of 4 different kinds of steak, then carrying 4 cooked steaks must be game breaking. Same goes for weapon ammo. A handful of 5 different bolt types isn't better, on average, than a large stack of one powerful type. So unless we want to make trip after trip to a merchant or a storeroom, or turn everything to lutefisk, the less powerful ammo and food just go unused. Strips fun and variety from the game. Diablo ran into some of the same problems, but at least there most of the juggling involved permanent equipment with clear advantages to each. And that game had multiplayer available for assembling especially rare item combinations.

Permanent, one-per-slot equipment like armor and weapons are fine with limited storage slots. Food, ammo, potions, and, above all, ingredients and components don't get along well with limited, high-capacity slots. A potion bag with limited total potion count, or no limit whatsoever, would make the game more fun. If there truly are too many powerful foods and potions for unlimited storage, just cut back on the number of drops.

I also don't think it would harm anything to make the various stills, smiths, and presses non-inventory items. They don't see enough use in the games I've played to justify the space they take up.

The variety of items is great. I just want to be able to collect and use them effectively.

Crafting is also held back by the huge recipe list. Are there plans to add filters, such as only swords, or only items I can craft with my current inventory?

19. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to answer to your big post (that makes a lot of great points) with a small answer but; most of the crafting system is going to be revamped, so that includes the UI and the way things function.

20. Jatopian

Jatopian Member

I definitely think that stuff you won't actively use, like ingots, should not take up an inventory slot. It gets ridiculous.