Essential DoD Core Skill Rebalance v.0.1.2

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Jan 7, 2012.

1. wall a choke point, put thaumites on the other side of the wall, make faces at creatures as they die to your diseased maggots

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Well that does work. But that can backfire with disastrous results too. Blink slimes come to mind...

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Golemancy is the zookiller. 3x Unliving Wall and spam Thaumites to bring down basically everything on the other side while you sit back and enjoy some Brie. Mortal Machine lasts a bit longer than the Wyrmling as well, though it does kind of peter out before you reach Dredmor.

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Hmmm. Perhaps just a nice spell like such:
    Kitten Litter: Creates 5 Weak Kittens at the location of your choice. They would have a fixed 9 hit-points. (Nine Lives) and no real resistances or purpose besides being mobile targets. Even a sickly diggle would mop the floor with them. The spell description would read: "Someone mentioned the weather somewhere and these awful things appeared as a result."

I know. It is lame. But Thaumite is a bit too potent as it is IMNHO. (In my never humble opinion.) I do not suggest a nerf of Thaumite. But I cannot use it and feel like I actually earned the kills. Unliving wall however is a perfectly balanced utility spell.

5. Essence

Just take Release the Hounds. :p

6. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

The trick to making ranged better without upping their damage is to make it so ranged attacks don't draw aggro if your stealth is high enough. Thus, ranged attacks are more powerful, and so is stealth and sight bonuses, two things that currently have a street value of strained peas.

Unfortunately, I don't think mods can accomplish this.

Essence likes this.
  7. Dynamod

Dynamod Member

well, when 1.0.10 comes out, I'm sure you could have a skill that procs based on stealth one of the spells from emomancy, that makes the enemy non-aggressive...

8. rulinus

rulinus Member

well this looks like a promising mod.

I would get it in a heartbeat but i won't. like never, ever. Why? Because of one simple reason;

Huge nerf to dual wielding, which is my favourite skill :D

9. Troacctid

Troacctid Member

Funny you'd say that because I always thought Digging Ray was the least useful spell in the skill (besides the cutlery). Busting through walls is fun but fairly situational, and it costs a ton of mana.

Summons rip apart the early floors so you basically get to like level 6 or whatever just for free. Thaumites are decent for clearing out groups of enemies in conjunction with Unliving Walls--you can clear Monster Zoos this way with very little risk, although it gets less exciting later on when the enemies start resisting the thaumites. But mostly Unliving Wall is busted. It essentially makes you impossible to kill. Block off enemies, make your own chokepoints, block off all four sides and take a sammich break...and it takes so little mana that it's practically free. If you're worried about the walls expiring, you can make more walls next to them, or heck, make more walls on top of them, why not. Pretty game-breaking. If you ask me, that's the one that should be the capstone.

10. Essence

No offense, but seriously? Did you even read the changelog? Yes, I took a whopping 2 points of :counter: off of the first level -- but then I added a proc to level 3 (which was boring) and somewhere upwards of 10 points of :counter: to level 5. If you love Dual-Wielding, you'll love the CSR. And even if you don't, if you love Warriors, you'll find that the other benefits to Warrior skills more than make up for the massive 2% shift in one defensive skill. :)

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Are you kidding Essence? I loaded this up and rolled random skills. One of them was Dual Wield. I then proceeded to jump headlong down every stair I saw and something five levels down killed me.

YOU KILLED ME!!! Your rebalance is unfair! Lol. (Obviously kidding. I think rulinus was too.)
    :D:D:D:D

Wi§p likes this.
  12. Essence

No offense, but seriously? You expect me to believe that you're posting to these boards after I killed you?!?

You're obviously an impersonator, since I currently have the real OmniNegro's heart in my freezer. And I think I know who...

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

LIES!!! OmniNegro never had a heart!

One of his Evil Kittens of Doom ate his heart before he began this reality.

We need not discuss the weather...

14. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

I was just wondering how everyone else felt about the Astrology skill tree's balance, because I feel that it is a bit weak atm.. I do want to point out that I am not using any mods including this one first however.

According to the change-log only Solar Inscription has been changed, but that isn't my biggest issue with it, I mean, one of the skills is just outright worse than an in-game item "Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster", it has the exact same effect, and gives mana while they both take a turn to use. I believe that skill needs to be changed or buffed, and I am sure that there are other skills that could use rebalancing in Astrology. I know the capstone skill is very strong, but the rest of it just feels weaker overall when I compare it to other skill trees..The only real use I can find for the tree ATM is for the Melee Wizard type builds.

Essence likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

For myself, Astrology is pretty much required if I want to spam Necronomiconomics spells around the Universe. The first level skill that is. The others are alright, but the line feels a bit weak to me as well. But still required for the Necronomiconomics spammers.

16. Essence

So far, the planned changelog for Astrology once 1.0.10 comes out looks like this:

Radiant Aura left alone.
    Solar Inscription becomes a permanent mine (i.e. goes off every turn if a monster stands on it.) (This in addition to what GLG did, which was reactivate 2 celestial damage and a 33% paralylze proc which had been commented out for some reason. So total damage/tick is 2+F.35 Celestial, 1 Conflagratory, sets the target on fire, and has a 33% chance of paralyzing it for 8 turns, which essentially turns the mine into a dot. Mine will last 16 turns.)
    Blinding Flash should trigger twice when cast (only once when procced via Radiant Aura.)
    Syzygy is eliminated as a level.
    Casting Celestial Aegis triggers Syzygy. Cost: 36 savvyBonus:.2, min 12, both buffs maintain their normal mana upkeep but are independently removable if you prefer.
    The Stars Align cost is still 40, but reduced by .5 Savvy to a minimum of 6.

17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Awesome! Now if only we can find a way to extort Wi§p for the changes. :)

18. Essence

Err....wha?

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It was a petty joke. Extorting Wi§p for the changes he thinks should be made. Shall I delete this and the other post? (Not humorous enough to keep.)

20. Essence

Ah, no, just my stupidity. I failed to remember that the original suggestion had come from Wi§p. Don't delete stuff unless you absolutely have to; mistakes are just part of a community where everything is recorded for posterity forever. 8)