Essential Core Skills Rebalance II: Electric Bungalow

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Shreeper

Shreeper Member

Technically that would make sense, Vanguard Party really needs something to make it more appealing eitherway, but wouldn't it feel... weird to have a buff that you can toggle on/off with :smithing:? Besides I personally have a hard time why a political-ish effect would affect :smithing: rather than the millitary alternative that is The Iron Curtain. Maybe if the :smithing: buff was a permanent boost rather than part of the buff, but then again that'd kinda leave Vanguard Party in it's currect state of "meh'ness".

Maybe something along the way of either moving the additional +4:resist_hyperborean: to the Vanguard Party buff and add the +1:smithing: to The Iron Curtain or simply remove the additional +4:resist_hyperborean: altogether and instead add some (minor) :crit: boost to the Vanguard Party alongside the +1:smithing: to The Iron Curtain in order to encourage the player to make the power armour - Clockwork Knight style? Personally I reckon that the latter'd be the better choice as, the way I see it, crafting the power armour should be encouraged and giving too much natural :resist_hyperborean: could potentially leave the power armour unwanted to the player.

Sorry if I'm rambling by the way... kinda tipsy at the moment.

PS: Don't ask me, I'm just a theori obssed loonie. You're the modding maestro of amazing amounts of awesome.

EDIT: Although I'm suspeciting that I'm not the only one who've gotten familiar with Sewer Brew tonight. ;)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Nah I'm sober. I just sick at posting from my Kindle. :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Shreeper

Shreeper Member

...shame on you.

By the way, I just noticed that Dagger of Dealy Immagination scales with :magic_power: for each trigger rather than :sagacity:, :savvy: and :caddishness: as advertised. Or rather, that's what Dredmorpedia tells me.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Nacho

Nacho Member

I think 3rd sight's broken. It doesn't proc the 100% luckiest sight like it's supposed to.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

Noted, thx

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Wootah

Wootah Member

To me, I think that it is best that the :resist_hyperborean: is tied to the iron curtain. The skill is already about amazing defense.
    Plus you aren't mucking up trees by adding more crafting to non-crafting.
    That and it is nice to not have to worry about the gear aspect to survive a random proc.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

STACHANOV, MY COMRADE. Considering that it's more a political figure than a real worker - bless the man who died working hard!
    Uhm. I'll try fix as you intended. But it was kinda of cool that you were stealty until someone attacked you, so you could stick your knives into your enemies unseen.
    After all, Sneaky Shiv isn't 100% procced (maybe it could only if you have Slim Customer buff up). But still, two attacs one dagger.
    :edit: ok, it's working now, the game was cancelling the buff as a result of the past attack made. I'm still in the idea of making it just brittle="1", since 20:sneakiness: for an attack doesn't change anything.
    :re-edit: also, I noticed Shot in the Eye puts a buff on enemy with the same name. Is this intentional, and if it's what it does?

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. Wootah

Wootah Member

Aren't there a few attacks that scale with :sneakiness:? I figured this is why it was there.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Yes both your sentences. Sneaky Shiv and Two Attacks One Dagger, as I've said (in a contracted form). Neither of those is 100% sure, ever, so you'll probably gonna waste those +20:sneakiness: on a simple attack.
    It's quite good to run away from monsters, but it's the only real use I've found for now.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Essence

The getaway effect was the intent. I didnt want to make the ability too strong; the Assassination tree isn't particularly weak; I was looking for just a little something I teresting. I do think at one point I made it give a 100% blackjack chance. Maybe again?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Shreeper

Shreeper Member

The good, the "meh" and the awesome:

The good:

Pretty much everything really. It's a lot of great and in some cases much needed fixes that adds a lot to the individual skills and while I may not agree 100% with all of the changes I still do consider ECSRII as much a part of the core game as the official releases by Gaslamp themselves. Although I did make a -few- changes to my own version. Even the "meh" changes are amazing.

Special mention goes to Dual Wielding though, it's a simple change which greatly helps fixing it so that's it's no longer the go-to-fix-all skill for mellee characters.

The "meh":

- Assassination: This skill have pretty much always been, well, "meh" and while the ECSRII does fix quite a few things to the skill it's still just not interesting or that interesting. Things that kinda baffled me were the Sly Customer buff and Et' Tu scalling with :nimbleness:.

Sly Customer has a way too low proc rate to be of much use, especially when it's broken so easilly. I personally thought that Sly Customer was surpossed to give Sneaky Shiv and Two Attacks One Dagger a boost which it just dosen't in it's currect version as you'll have to hope and pray for the 12.5% Sly Customer proc and then for the Sneaky Shiv and/or Two Attacks One Dagger proc, which is terrible odds. Maybe increasing the proc rate to 20-something% and removing the brittle attack clause would be a sufficient solution, the way it is now making Sly Customer proc a 3 turn invisibility buff'd make more sense.

Et' Tu scalling with :nimbleness: also dosen't quite sit that way with me personally for a number of reasons. First of all Assassination was originally meant to be the :crit: and I just feel like scalling it with :crit: rather than :nimbleness: would be keeping it more in spirit with the original design. Secondly making it scale with :nimbleness: alienates warriors and wizards from the skill which I think is kinda sad, especially seeing how much Communism wants the :crit:. Finally it would give Assassination some pretty amazing synergy with Daggers due to Daggers giving you the Silent Deadly Dagger Sneaky Stance with it's +:sneakiness: and +:crit: buff, not to mention that's it's a perfect fit flavorwise.

...also, why haven't anybody (in general) considered making Assassination less focused on proccing in mellee and give it some more utility? It's a rogue skill after all.

EDIT: Forgot to point out that Sly Customer and Move In Mysterious Ways are still using the same artwork, which I personally think is annoying as hell.

- Werediggle: Considering the +6:caddishness: +6:burliness: +6:stubborness: boost you gave to The Vanguard Party it seems kinda silly not to give Werediggles a few added numbers to make them more interesting and appealing. Now I understand that you might not want to do so while the Werediggle thread is going on but it's just a few numbers, not any new abilities or major changes. Although it would be easy to add stuff like a teleport, pet or Monsterous Rage proc to the skill.

- Tourist: It's not bad but it's still kinda boring, not your fault though. It's just not that interesting beyond the initial two skills even with the buff.

- Staves and Maces: Having more than 2 stances just seems a tad silly to me. Now I know that the extra stances improve your attack range but it still feels a bit off.

The Awesome!:

- Magic Training: I've always perfered Magic Training over Blood Mage and Leywalker on a flavorwise level but it just used to be so insignificant compared to the other two in terms of usefulness. Well, no more. Now it's about making the most out of your spells in general which is something I approve greatly. Although I personally feel like The Master Spell should be a :cooldown: rather than a spell to prevent abuse and to make it more symetrical to Killing Blow.

- Perception: I love the changes to this skill, the ability to deal 1 damage to nearby walls in particular. It's amazingly flavorful to have a "shearch walls" ability. Huge thumbs up from me for that idea.

- Artful Dodger: ...it's a simple and cool fix.

That's all from here. Awesome and highly recommended mod. :D

Essence, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It was one of my insane ideas from some time ago. Hey, I feel proud that stuff got added.
    And it is a non-removable non-dispellable dummy buff lasting 999 turns and a simple buff check on trigger, really.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Shreeper

Shreeper Member

It was a lot more "AMAGAWD?!"'ish when I thought it checked your inventory for The Bomb and restricted you from reusing the skill while you still had it in your inventory, simply because that'd be impossible to code into the game as of now. :D

And yay for people who's ideas are added to ECSRII, they're the best! - I'm not just saying that because my +1 :smithing: to Communist got added. Cough, cough.

Vitellozzo, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, you could do something like that (it's not even hard to do), but then again, you would have to use dummy buffs for that.
    Many things are possible if you are willing to waste some buff slots, with the only question being "is the amount of buff slots used adequate to the benefits gained from cluttering the screen?".

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

There can be a workaround, working like Haematic Phylactery: until you use the bomb, you have a debuff that makes you impossible to make others.

The second one (scaling of et tu) was already discussed (I proposed it a while ago): it cannot work since :crit: already gives a mechanic ability, critics, while :magic_power: or :nimbleness: or :sagacity: or other scaling stats don't directly. So, since :crit: already was strong enough people want to max it, without skills, it couldn't be the stat behing Et Tu. But since it's a capstone... uhm.

I'm playing an assassin right now. And I can say having +20:sneakiness: until you get hit (and you can hit how much you want) isn't nearly comparable to hit every single enemy and put it to sleep. With 0 invested points, too.
    Sleep is powerful, even if you want to continue the beat. It gives crowd control. It's a really cool skill for the assassins, but it shouldn't make every melee character wanting assassination.
    Yeah, we discussed also about those in the near past, r_b_b maked the statement. The idea is to give skill trees more differences; both staves and maces have very powerful and useful stances, so giving them less free skills is to balance this state of being. After all, the third stance for both skills is the capstone. Both change a little the mechanics of the tree, but players aren't forced to pick them, if they prefer other stances.
    Yeah, Essence just want to wait some few days. But still, I'm ok with every change, but please no Monsterous Rage. Diggle God of War procs that, and it should remain a mystical ability, we don't want to make the diggle gods weaker in comparison.

Kazeto, OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  16. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Forums ate my first sentence about this:
    The first one (sly customer) was exactly what I was talking about, but I don't feel like it should remove brittle effect. After all, if you get caught into melee, you cannot continue to move silently since they already discovered you.
    A friend of mine yesterday suggested Slim Customer as it is now, could have a high %chance to recast itself. So you still cannot have it every single turn, it's more on luck based if it remains or not after a melee attack, and it still get cancelled on the first melee contact enemies make with you. And one simply cannot ohko every single enemy he encounter (oh, my succesful run did this, except on iron men) so melee attacks will eventually break the effect after the first or the second hit of the player.

17. Wootah

Wootah Member

Did you strip all the :resist_hyperborean: from iron curtain?
    Because I am in a run right now,and I don't have Blacksmithing, and I have to stack :resist_hyperborean:, simply to stay ahead of the damage from general winter. This is starting to be a problem, and 1 point of :smithing: isn't going to do anything to help my build:

I can't turn it off and therefore I can't stop using the ushanka as well as a couple other items (currently totalling +10:resist_hyperborean:) just to survive a chain of winter procs. This is hampering my gear progression because i have other pieces I would rather wear instead of this. I have tinkering and would LOVE to craft the crust that gives +3:resist_hyperborean:, but by floor 7 I have only found 3 black pearls, so whatever I put the crust on, is going to be my new locked in item.

If the goal of giving a point of :smithing: was to make the skill better, it sure hurts build diversity as opposed to just including it in iron curtain. I am not saying that you should remove the 1 point of :smithing:, but please consider keeping a large chunk of :resist_hyperborean: on Iron Curtain.

18. Essence

I haven't changed anything about it yet. If it's not giving 8 Hyperborean Resist, it's a flubup on my part.

Vitellozzo, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  19. Wootah

Wootah Member

I am trying to finish up a save I made with a vampire communist (based on one of the many builds I tried with vampirism due to the othe thread) before installing ECSRII. I just wanted to provide some counter discussion to those who think the :smithing: is the all around best fix.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  20. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Yeah, it's ok. But I think that the :smithing: is just another bonus, I don't think Essence is going to erase that :resist_hyperborean: bonus.

Symbiontic Toadstool buffs the player instead of the pet. Again.
    Here's the correct code. It missed self="0" in <buff [...]>.
    Code:
    <spell name="Symbiotic Toadstool" downtime="36" type="adjacent" icon="skills/rogue/fungus3_32.png">
        <effect type="removebuffbyname" name="Symbiotic Toadstool"/>
        <buff usetimer="0" allowstacking="0" self="0" icon="skills/rogue/fungus3_64.png" smallicon="skills/rogue/fungus3_32.png">
            <primarybuff id="0" amount="12"/>
            <primarybuff id="2" amount="12"/>
            <primarybuff id="3" amount="12"/>
            <resistbuff toxic="12"/>
            </buff>
        </spell>

Essence and OmniaNigrum like this.