Encrusting question

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Rocky209, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Rocky209

Rocky209 Member

Hello all. I had just gotten my dlc today for dungeons of dredmor. I am very happy with what I have. However some of it is a bit confusing to me. I want to try out encrusting but I wanted to ask if it will affect my build. My question is

If I want to use encrusting, will I have to get a crafting skill based on the items I want to encrust?
    If so will I have to level said crafting skill?

I want to make a warlock build but I do not want to get wandlore. Please and thank you!

2. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

All encrusts have a crafting skill they're "tied" to, and it's possible for them to have a high enough requirement level to pretty much make it impossible to get if you don't have the skill.

3. Rocky209

Rocky209 Member

That is unfortunate. I really do not want to get wand lore on all my magic based characters. However it's a bonus for the clockwork scientist build. thank you for your time.

4. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

You're welcome!

I find encrusts to be not very important on all different builds, and I can safely say I have never used a Wandcrafting one, ever. Wand Lore can be handy to level up your :sagacity: on a pure mage if you have left-over skill to pick, but I generally stay away from it. To be fair, though, I hardly ever play mages anyway, so go figure :v

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Wootah

Wootah Member

Encrusting is great on some builds. There are some really good crusts out there available at very low levels. Even on builds that don't have a crafting skill, there are a way to access some of the crusts.

I do agree though that picking up wandlore just to get the higher crusts is not really worth it. Even the crusts available to wandlore are few and far between. I did a :magic_resist: caster build which included wandlor. I planned on stacking the helment crusts, but the materials are had to come by and even when I could double or triple up the best one, it still didnt' seem to make that big of a difference.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Kuroro

Kuroro Member

On a melee based tanky character, I was able to put a fairly cheap (it only used gems and a potion... things I rarely if ever use) to get a +6 elemental damage. It requires level 4 smiting... which I also used to make VERY good gear for myself.

I could pretty easily get +20-ish damage on a weapon with encrusting alone (I think it would have a 30% chance to fail on the last crust)

Basically, encrusting is very good for melee characters. For mages, on the other hand... I imagine it would be a much weaker bonus... but being able to craft wands AND encrust for bonus spell damage and mana would probably be worthwhile. You could certainly do without, though.