encrusting and notation question

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by youtoo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. youtoo

youtoo Member

every encrusting formula has a purple 5 pointed star in the notation. I can't figure out what notation this is. i look at my symbols at my skills and stats and i dont see this notatoin.

when i craft or when i highlight an item i see the symbols for what will change. is there anyway to highlight those symbols to see what they are. its a hassle to equip something to check to see what changed and then highlight those symbols. i dont have them all memorized. it would be easier if i can see the symbols for the skills/stats are when i highlight the item (so see the word for it)

2. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

It's the chance of the item gaining an unstable crust, it works like this:

The first encrust you apply on an item will never be unstable
    Encrusts of the same kind will increase the risk of being unstable multiplicatively
    Encrusts of different kinds will increase the risk of being unstable additively

I don't have any numbers on me right now, but multiply the purple number by itself if you're applying it more than once on the same item to get the % chance of the crust becoming unstable
    If you're applying a crust on a previously encrusted item of a different kind, just add the two numbers to get the %

Unstable crusts have a chance to proc all kinds of nasty stuff. Some can be quite handy, if you have the right resistances and know what you're doing, but in general it is a very good idea to not use unstable equipment, and by extension, not to encrust your equipment too much.

Kazeto and Haldurson like this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Kazeto likes this.
  4. youtoo

youtoo Member

what happens when an encrust is unstable?

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

You get a bad effect on it. For example, an explosion that hurts you sometimes when you hit with it.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. youtoo

youtoo Member

i got a comment about that, but it didnt show up in the weapons stats?

any way to get rid of bad effects?

7. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Only the very pragmatic way of turning it into Lutefisk.

Getting rid of it without also getting rid of the weapon? Nope.
    Hence the don't-encrust-your-good-gear-too-much comment.

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

None outside of getting rid of the item.

But then again, if the effect you got is that you explode whenever you hit something or are hit, it's possible to get some blasting resistance and just proceed, exploding in monsters' faces the entire time.