Enchantments... How do they work? This is going to be (hopefully) an indepth article on exactly how they function. Note, all the details listed here are gleaned directly from the game code. Enchantments: There are 82 different "types" that can be modified by an item, ranging from damage, damage resistance, primary statistics, secondary statistics, etc. Any item can have one or more modifiers, and they can be a positive or negative number. You may have an item that has +1 voltaic damage, +1 slashing resistance, +1 visual radius and +1 dodge chance. You may have another item that has -10 crushing resistance. Only items that can be worn in the character cutout can be enchanted (with one noteable exception). Gaining Enchantments: When enchantments are being assigned to an item, they are selected individually at random. More specifically, a number is generated from 0 to 81. If the number corresponds to a primary statistic, that statistic increases (or decreases) by one, removing one from the total number of modifiers being assigned. If, however, the number corresponds to something other than a primary statistic, then there are three subsequent 50% chance rolls (equivalent to 3 coin tosses) of the modifier increasing. This means there is a 1/6 chance of the numbered statistic not being used, a 1/3 chance of it gaining +/-1, a 1/3 chance of it gaining +/-2, and a 1/6 chance of it gaining +/-3, assuming there are sufficient modifiers available. Once the roll has been dealt with, should there be more modifiers to distribute, another random roll is made to select a new statistic. Positive Enchantments: Whenever an item receives a positive enchantment, it will either gain new modifiers, or increases the power of one of the modifiers it already has, or both. The amount of new or increased modifiers that the item gains is determined by what is causing the item to gain the enchantment. Negative Enchantments: The reverse of the positive enchantment, a negative enchantment will decrease modifiers on an item. It's important to note that an item that already has a positive enchantment on it may appear to become unenchanted when it receives a negative one if the specific "type" affected is cancelled out. For example, if an item has +2 toxic resistance, and it receives a negative enchantment that gives it -2 toxic resistance, it will appear to have no toxic resistance at all. The item is still considered enchanted, however, and should it be modified via something like the "This Translation is Wrong!" skill, it will still be considered to have a negative enchantment. Also for negative enchantments, you may not have a negative damage value. If an item does not do damage of a specific type, any negative enchantment for that type of damage is eliminated when the enchantment is placed. For example, if an axe does 6 slashing damage, if it gains a negative enchantment that causes -2 slashing damage, that is acceptable, and the axe will now do 4 slashing damage. However, if the axe gains a negative enchantment that causes -2 piercing damage, that enchantment will not apply, as the axe does not deal piercing damage. The axe would still be considered to have a negative enchantment on it, should it later be re-enchanted, or gain a new one. 1) Altars of Krong. When you put an item on an article of Krong, you have a 5/7 (roughly 71.5%) chance of getting a positive enchantment, and a 2/7 (roughly 28.5%) chance of getting a negative one. This is independent of the item, the item quality, or any enchantments the item may already have. If a positive enchantment is rolled, all normal and enchanted items will gain 1-2 new modifiers following the above rules. The only exception to the previous rule is items that are considered of the "artifact" class, but have not been enchanted. This includes such items as the Staff of Moravic, or The Wizard's Sleeve (the noteable exception mentioned previously, as this item cannot actually be equipped). These artifacts will gain a much higher number of enchantments - their "artifact quality", as defined in the itemsDB.xml file - on their first enchantment. Subsequent uses on an altar will gain them the same 1-2 enchantments other items get. If a negative enchantment is rolled, all items gain 2-4 new modifiers. 2) UberChest/Chest of Evil Chests of Evil have a 50% chance of containing a weapon. If they do, the number of enchantments on the item will be 2 + (dungeon level - 1). So on dungeon level 4, for example, the item would have 2 + (4 - 1) = 5 modifiers. The item in an UberChest will be similar, but 1 + (dungeon level - 1) instead. 3) Random Items This includes the items on the isolated "islands", items for sale by Brax, etc. As with the UberChest, they will have 1 + (dungeon level - 1) modifiers. 4) Quest Rewards Quest rewards are similar to the Chest of Evil, 2 + (dungeon level - 1). 5) Lutefisk Statue The item from the Lutefisk Statue will have 1 + (# Lutefisk used / 25) enchantments, where the # Lutefisk used is capped at 100 (giving a maximum of 5 modifiers). The dungeon level of the statue does not appear to have any bearing on the number of enchantments received. 6) This Translation is Wrong! Using this skill does not add or remove enchantments, but it will modify the enchantments that already exist. The number of positive enchantments will be used to determine how many positive enchantments to grant, and the number of negative will be used to determine the number of negative enchantments. 7) Corruption Some monsters and traps can corrupt weapons. I'm unsure of the number of negative modifiers gained from corruption.