ALPHA 50C Emotion Post: Happy=Work (Now with less striking)

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alavaria, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

version 50

Food: Eating and Drinking

All memory info can be found at the scripts\entity\histories.edb

===============================================================================

Basic Food
    When you start off, you're likely to be foraging, maybe hunting, and then farming Maize for food. The most likely thing you will do (for me, on day 2) is to have your kitchen set up to "Cook Basic Food".

For an overseer, Basic Food like Maize Chowder, Bread, Cooked Steak etc will get you the following memory:
    It's not really that bad. Not that somehow the Epicurian (who you think would be fussy) is happier than the standard overseer. Shrug.

Because the basic foods give you 2 units of output for 1 unit of input, this makes your cook extremely productive. Furthermore, while colonists can survive on 1 raw food a day, they will be happier with 1 cooked food a day.

How much does the cook help you? Take the following:
    • 3 farmers produce 7.5 raw food a day (average)
    • 3 farmers + 1 Basic Food cook will produce 15 Basic Food a day
    That cook gets a lot done!

Quality Food

Anyway, for comparison, Quality Food gives you the following:
    In my experience, making better food (Farmers' Stew, or Sausages) isn't very worth it. Essentially you're looking at doubling the number of farmers* and cooks in order to produce the same quantity of cooked food. This is something I tend to leave for last.
    *This is if you use Pumpkin, but currently you must use Cabbage which is less efficient of a crop (see the Crop Post).

There are entries for eating even better food (ie: Premium Foods) but there's no way to actually make any of them currently (it's mostly pies).

Now the input=>output ratios are as such:
    • Basic: 1=>2
    • Quality: 2=>2
    • Premium: 3=>3
    So yeah it would be great to make premium ones. Currently you can't... you could before in Sogwood actually (Coconut Curry), but now, a premium food recipes are impossible with the Antipodea setup.

==============================================================================

Basic Drinks

About drinks, the most basic type (Chicha or Beer, from Brew Basic Drink and/or Brew Beer):
    This is actually rather nice to have. My current early strategy is of course farming maize, which is Basic Cookable into Maize Chowder and Bew Basic Drinkable into Chicha.

I usually have this up soon after my first oven, actually, getting the module (Wooden Brewing Vat, from Carpentry) built while the bunkhouse is going up. Just note that you should not use minimum orders on Brew Basic Drink (it's fine to have minimums for Brew Beer).

As 1 maize turns into 3 chicha, set your order appropriately, an order of Brew Basic Drink "3" will in fact end up giving you 9 Chicha!

Spirits

And now the more powerful stuff. With a Still, you can make things like Whiskey, Moonshine, Rum.
    This is pretty nice. Though it takes 1 Chicha or 1 Beer to make 1 bottle of spirits, if your overseer has a good skill level (Middling, though higer is even better), it is very fast.

Since colonists do NOT chug alcohol (of any type) like maniacs, it is not too taxing to produce lots of this. What I do sometimes is set the following (along with the other things).
    • Brew Beer: Minimum 1
    • Distill Whiskey: Minimum 20

If you're using Brew Basic Drink, then set your Distill as above, but you will need to manually order the Basic Drink as mentioned above.

Medicated Spirits

Even stronger stuff? Not actually that strong. Let's take a look at the "medications" available to us from the chemist:

This needs you to farm opium (which you must research at the lab) and uses 1 opium + 1 whiskey to produce 1 bottle of laudinum.

This uses 1 sulphur to produce 1 sulphur tonic. Most likely way you'll get sulphur is by buying it off traders for Trade Value 50 each.

I'll just pass on this as well. Though feel free to produce it if you want, at least it isn't as wasteful as the Laudanum.

I don't know how colonists decide to drink and so on, but if drinks are relatively substituteable, it would be best to just have 100% Chicha/Beer or else nearly 100% spirits.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Samut likes this.
  2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

The structure of memories and emotions has totally changed with version 50-C. Basically when the next stable version comes out all the preceding information will get nuked.

=================================

version 50-C

Memories to Emotions

First, all colonists have a baseline of emotions, currently these are (for everyone):
    • Happiness: 50
    • Anger: 25
    • Despair: 25
    • Afraid: 25

A colonist only has the memories which you can see on their information screen. Each memory adds or subtracts from the appropriate emotion. That's all!

We still mostly care about Overseers, not lower-class.

Checking scripts\entity\histories.edb we have some of the following:
    • Overseer eating Basic Food: {happiness = 1, fear=0, anger = 0, despair= 0}
    • "Sleep Tier -6": {happiness = 0, despair= 3, anger = 3}
      Eg: Basically the worst, you'll get this if you put 4 cots into a building with no decor, for example
    • "Sleep Tier -4" : {happiness = 1, despair= 1, anger = 1}
      Eg: Sleeping on floor of a Typical building
    • "Sleep Tier 4": {happiness = 5, despair= 0, anger = 0}
      Eg: Cots in a Wonderful building
    • "Sleep Tier 6": {happiness = 6, despair= 0, anger = 0}
      Eg: Practical Beds in a Wonderful building
    • "Feeling Tired": {happiness=-1, anger = 3}
      The insta-striker has been killed!!

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  3. Teutomatos

Teutomatos Member

Thanks Alavaria
    It means for 100 workers u need 20 farmers and same as cookers ?

4. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

No, that would be 20 farmers and about 7 cooks, but only if your farmers are using some rather inefficient crop, have no farming techs, and the overseer is unskilled.

If you're using the "Refined Food" recipe and have the techs etc, it is much easier to feed people. Also, the Foreign Office - Empire food supply thing needs only 4 people....

5. Teutomatos

Teutomatos Member

Ok it seems so ( tech etc .. ), but more than several ovens, u build 2 kitchens anyway ?
    Means 100 workers as well 20 overseers are not enough. And i don t talk about differents mines ... Ok i make some turn around from one mine to another. But not for kitchen.

6. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

No, I haven't posted anywhere new settlement plans for the version 50-C setup. Though I've tried it, the game started crashing on load so I didn't get around to pushing it to 100 people.

But I think you only need 1 farming and 1 kitchen group if using Refined Food (which outputs Quality Food, so great for overseers haha)

7. Teutomatos

Teutomatos Member

Theres several different farming, u choose only one kind ?

8. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Yup. After I get the refined food recipe, all it takes is one farm and one kitchen (half staffed) to feed my population of 70+

9. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Refined food needs 1 "booze" and 1 "basic_cookable". Maize can be used to make booze and is basic cookable, but in biomes without it, you may need 2 farms, so you'll have to switch your farming crew between them.

10. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

ver 50-C

What Emotions Do
    The only real thing to look out for is Happiness.

Happiness
    From scripts/entity/citizen.edb
    Remember your colonists start off with 50, and memories add or subtract to that baseline.

While you're not very likely to stack up a whole +25 to reach 6 shifts, try to avoid falling down if you can. Because sleeping (even in terrible circumstances) is at worse a +0, and even Basic Food gives a small bonus, you can afford to wait a long time to even get them any beds (also it is hard to beat just sleeping on a Typical floor without getting into the decor treadmill).

Anger
    50 anger leads to striking, but that means you've somehow gotten them a net +25 anger. Unlike before they will not just strike after missing a night's sleep. I delayed building my beds for them like... 14 days? No problem.

Teutomatos likes this.
  11. Teutomatos

Teutomatos Member

Same here about crash on differents games or biomes at 100 ( crash when click on workgroup. )
    Have u try to refuse workers ? ( To stand under 100 ). But overseer can t be refused anyway.

About farming, tropical biomes suppose coffee for drink, not working with chili hihihihi
    Tea is only for sell.

PS : Love u return on game Alavaria, better than my confuse complain in english. Thanks !