ALPHA 50C Emotion Post: Happy=Work (Now with less striking)

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alavaria, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    dbaumgart likes this.
  2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

.. gameplay slowdown or actual game speed/framerate slowdown?

3. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Oh game speed/framerate.

At This point the action starts moving faster as you get overseers coming in and immigrants, plus their productivity is rising as they are happier... except now the game is suffering even more so they start stuttering even worse.

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Okay. Well, numerous steps have been made and corrections have been proposed to fix that, so... here is hoping.

5. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Well yes, I had this big plan nicely put together but that's why I haven't got a screenshot of my industrial hell...

1. Though I do wonder if making Quality Food would push them to 6 shifts a day. In fact, I don't know if the productivity increase is worth needing a bunch of extra farmers.

2. The day2-4 unhappiness is a hilariously big jump from what you have on day1, it stays rather low until you have cots (probably because of how they will become so tireddddd but won't sleep, just idle about complaining)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  6. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Nope. Doesn't work sadly.

From what I've been able to gather even if you get off to a great start, have a kitchen churning out sausages and such by day 2 and the only negative memory is the annoyingly bugged "Haven't slept in over a day" because they had to sleep on the floor the night before, the happiness effect of all the various memories such as:

* Worked in a neutral quality workshop.
    * Made a friend.
    * Ate a superior quality meal and it was fantastic.
    * Comforted by the sight of military protecting the colony.
    * Had a nice conversation about the monarchy lately.

All average out to a colonist with absolutely piss poor happiness and slated for 3 shifts.

The happiness factor of the memories just seems so incredibly low that from what I can tell having something 'good' happen to the colonist can actually bring down their happiness from the artificially boosted level it starts up thanks to the 'Happy to join the colonial efforts' memory.

The more lower end good things you ensure happen to the colonist, the worse their mood seems to become.

7. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

[​IMG]

That's sort of what I see about, a 4-shift worker. The "slept in a wonderful building" (and it's a middle-class bed, not a cot) seems to be pretty important to happiness.

You'll see my farmer higher up apparently reports 5 shifts though, as the diplomat just below that.

That is a bonus, now I think about it, as farmers do not have the "work in XXYY building" they don't get any bonuses from that, but they can carry the "slept in wonderful building" which perhaps is actually better (sometimes 1-overseer workshops just fill their memories with working and they forget their night's sleep)

Hmm, I will look at my colonists and see what I can find.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  8. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

The main constant seems to be your sleeping... this might be due to things like maxing out your building quality, which implies:
    1. Use a dedicated building for your cots/beds
    2. Spam decor, which leads to
    3. You end up making crammed buildings with as many beds as you can fit in, with windows everywhere or something (my favorite, the Bunkhouse of Hellish Pleasure). Due to how decor & building quality work.

I used a 6-cot Wonderful bunkhouse and am in the middle of making beds to go into a 12-bed Wonderful house.
    You can still superhotbunk, I'd say splitting your colony into two work groups (each of which will have 2 or 3 off-shifts) means you probably can get 4 people in a bed. So my 12-bed house should last quite a while...

The following are on day 12:
    Zachariah Buckle gets 5 Shifts, you see he remembers his last two naps.

[​IMG]

Augustus Wheellocke gets 4 shifts. Between getting a Wonderful cot and not sleeping.

[​IMG]

Drucilla gets 4 shifts. One Wonderful bed..and soldier memory.

[​IMG]

Darckense Galvaniser gets 4 shifts. Again 1 nap but 1 not sleeping (mostly an issue solved by superhotbunking or just having more beds).

[​IMG]

See, this is odd, Millard Stonebed slept on a ... stone outside, and then didn't sleep but still gets 4 shifts, possibly because of the "became more skillful"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pansy Mustard at 5. And a farmer... I'm a bit puzzled why she's so happy though, does she really like beds? (If so, this trait might be important to keep in mind)

[​IMG]

Othniel Steeltar: "Became more skillful" and "wonderful bed" for 5 shifts?

[​IMG]

Another 4 shift.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  9. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Well hunting in the script/entity/history shows the following, if the numbers from these are used they confirm sleeping is probably your first and most important thing, compared to say better food:

EDIT: See below, the numbers have changed.

dbaumgart likes this.
  10. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

(Balance changes incoming.)

Tikigod and Alavaria like this.
  11. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

(Great.)

Oh yeah, so now I have an idea what is happening:

Basically a lot of memories have very little or no happiness attached. The one memory not listed above is also probably the most powerful.

Currently sleeping in "a better bed if possible" and "in as good (decor-ed up) a building as possible" will let you consistently get a colonist to hold a very powerful +happiness thought.

For working in a workshop, you may lose this due to the "I worked!!" memories, if so then you can compensate by adding decor to those. But the amazing bedis probably the biggest factor.

This has all changed in version 48 (and therefore the current version 48A) Yay!

12. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Outdated information on sleeping was here. There is better information, see top post for a link.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  13. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Old Version, multiple numbers were updated.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Samut and Tarod like this.
  14. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Outdated information was here.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  15. Wolg

Wolg Member

For happiness, perhaps not, but sulphur and Laudanum are both supposed to target madness (or at least they have in the past...).

16. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

If so it should have the value of "madness=0"

Let me take a look again at a few to compare.
    It's always possible there are effects outside of the history, however, for things like Spirits, you see it has entries for fearful=0 etc

(I think the result for happiness, etc is the average of all memories which have a value. So a value of 0 brings down the average, which is great if it's sad=0, for example

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  17. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

version 50

How Happiness Affects Work

Here's something useful, to put those happiness values in perspective:

scripts/entity/citizen.edb
    For reference, a Wonderful building (for sleeping) is 60, seeing military nearby is 35, eating Quality Food for an overseer is 40. The Chapel would be nice but I can't seem to get it to work.

Sleeping is still the best thing. Having military wander around is good, as well as making Farmers' Stew. I have most of my overseers working 5 or 6 shifts.

The big building is a new house. While I have a 9-cot (elsewhere) and 15-bed, this new one will be a big pyramid holding 32 beds :dmg_righteous:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  18. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

version 48-C

This is using
    • 9 Cots and 32 Practical Beds (in two Wonderful buildings)
    • Some of the workshops are at increased quality
    • Basic Food
    • Beer
    No chapel by the way, I had to cancel it.

Gets me the following workshifts:
    [​IMG]

And an earlier full picture:

[​IMG]

19. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

version 50

Sleeping: Building Quality and Beds/Cots

Let's jump in, I have the parts you need to figure out what your colonists think of their sleeping arrangements!

This part tells you what memory the colonist gets, as well as makes the description the memory has.

From scripts\gameobjects\FSM\citizen\sleep.fsm:
    We also need the actual emotional values, right? Got you covered as well.

From scripts\entity\histories.edb:
    That should answer all your questions! Great, see you next time...

===================================================================================

Ok, here's another way to do it. I'll do all the work for you for a subset of cases. We care about overseers, and let's assume people aren't sleeping on the floor or outside...

First, go look at the bed and the building it is in...

What is the building's quality listed as?
    • Tier. 6: Wonderful
    • Tier. 4: Great
    • Tier. 2: Comfortable
    • Tier. 0: Typical
    • Tier -2: Uncomfortable
    • Tier -4: Overcrowded
    • Tier -6: Dismally Packed

Now what bed?
    • If it is a Practical Bed, take the tier of the building.
    • If it is a Cot, take the tier below that (if at Tier -6, you stay at -6)

Then find the appropriate tier in the condensed list below:
    • Sleep Tier. 6: {happy = 60, sad= 0, angry = 0}
    • Sleep Tier. 4: {happy = 55, sad= 0, angry = 0}
    • Sleep Tier. 2: {happy = 40, sad= 0, angry = 0}
    • Sleep Tier. 0: {happy = 25, sad= 0, angry = 0}
    • Sleep Tier -2: {happy = 20}
    • Sleep Tier -4: {happy = 10, sad= 15, angry = 15}
    • Sleep Tier -6: {happy = 0, sad= 30, angry = 30}

===================================================================================

Even simpler? Sure. Let's consider the two main cases I see in my colonies:
    • Wonderful Building + Cot => Sleep Tier. 4: {happy = 55, sad= 0, angry = 0}
    • Wonderful Building + Practical Bed => Sleep Tier. 6: {happy = 60, sad= 0, angry = 0}

Cots are beautiful.

Samut likes this.
  20. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

version 50

Angry and Striking

From scripts\gameobjects\citizen.go:
    And on the revolt section, so you know:
    So, if your colonist hits over 50 anger, and they strike, even if their anger is "fixed", they will strike for minimum 8 shifts (ie: a day)

Angry is basically the average value across all memories (which have an anger value), so naturally we worry about the memories which have above 50 angry.

A quote from the scripts\entity\histories.edb:
    And now, a list of memories of above 50 angry! (I include 50 as well just because).

From scripts\entity\histories.edb:
    Unlike what you might expect, anger does not "build up", in fact the most likely way I've seen overseers strike is because they "Felt Tired" and had no other memories with angry values (so, usually it's an unassigned overseer, or -ouch- the farmer).

In fact, being slapped repeatedly is *good* as the memory of getting slapped has an angry value of less than 50! It does lower their happy though, so they will probably work less.

So, how do we avoid the "Feeling Tired"? It's iffy, colonists sometimes just take their time getting to a bed and then the next day starts, then they go to work and in the middle of it they feel tired. Whoops~

I think it you literally have a bed for each colonist then the chance of this happening is minimized. Generally, though "1 cot: 2 colonists" should be ok. Just be aware that at random someone might start striking...

Samut likes this.