Electromancy ~ first mod, please give feedback <3

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by MarethRavenlocke, Aug 6, 2012.

1. @Kazuhiro ~ Duly noted. I'd rather not buff it so much that later spells become less worthwhile, but it does seem to be a tiny bit behind for its mana cost. Maybe I'll just make it cost less mana. In any case, that's not something that I plan on implementing any time soon, first I have to figure out what I want to do to it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Atech22

Atech22 Member

I have a problem with the mod. I installed the mod normally just like all the other mods, but Electromancy is not showing at all on the mod list?

Got it fixed. It appears that the mod files are in additional Electromancy file which causes the zip file to not work,

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Ashnal

Ashnal Member

Looks like a nice addition to the game, especially since it's based on existing spells mixed up a bit.

I was almost expecting some sort of capacitor like skill. Would there be a way to make a skill where the player gets an attack buff when hit by voltaic energy? It would represent the player storing any excess voltaic energy they get hit with and redirecting it into an attack. Besides being useful against monsters who deal voltaic damage, it would open up the gameplay mechanic of finding items and other skills the player could combine to shock themselves whenever needed to trigger the buff, such as tesla's wand.

Royal Blue and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

That would be cool, but unfortunately there's no code that distinguishes what kind of damage you just took.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Royal Blue

Royal Blue Member

I have to say that this skill tree looks like a lot of fun.

Opinion, skill tree 4: The Path of Least Resistance should have a +3 existential resistance rather than lightning.

I was looking at the last skill and I had a ... concern. I just have trouble envisioning lightning which blows up stone walls and wooden doors ... I think a much cooler and logical ability would be to Trigger (or Destroy) traps. I don't know if there is a mechanic for this in the game's code. Perhaps a "pick" lock is attempted on all the traps at the characters skill level. Failure triggers and success clears it, unless it's a trap that shoots you with lasers or arrows or something. Much riskier to use this highly damaging spell now.

I've not made it very far into the dungeon so perhaps this skill change would just guarantee character death.

6. Royal Blue

Royal Blue Member

The very powerful skill 6 requires a voltaic charge. I think it'd be fair to acquire a charge whenever the shield passive triggered.

7. Royal Blue

Royal Blue Member

Requires the battery item to store charges. Stores up your level in the skill in charges.

8. I don't think the existential damage fits. Turning into lightning has nothing to do with your metaphysical sense of self.

Triggering traps doesn't really fit the theme of the spell, though destroying them would. Not enough to warrant an update by itself, though. Besides, disarming traps is something that rogues do. I don't think it would be fair to rogues to create a wizard skill that does the same thing.

If you're having trouble imagining lightning blasting down walls, then you've probably never actually seen a lightning strike. Naturally occurring lightning bolts regularly strike down trees, and bolts that strike the streets send up shards of asphalt and leave large potholes. That's to say nothing of the theoretical difference in power between natural lightning and magic lightning.

This is a picture of an airplane wing that got struck by lightning: [​IMG]

So yes, lightning can indeed blast through walls and roofs.

As far as requiring a charge to be built or an item in your inventory, I believe the spell is already limited enough by its mana cost. It's on par with similar Promethean spells in terms of damage, and further limiting the spell would be too much of a nerf.

However, I do thank you for your suggestions, Royal Blue, and I'm glad you enjoy using Electromancy <3

Kazeto likes this.