Egyptian Magic - Sandstorm Question

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by BMandFighter, Aug 2, 2012.

1. BMandFighter

BMandFighter Member

Does the effect size of sandstorm grow with the number of glyphs you have active? Because according to Dredmorpedia and others on here it should be hitting a huge area, but when I cast it it only hits 3x3. I currently only have 2 glyphs.

2. Heartnet

Heartnet Member

The sand storm it self doesn't increase but the extra effects hits more then 3x3

3. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I do believe the sandstorm gets bigger with 3 glyph on it.

4. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

Specifically:
    Sandstorm by itself hits the tile you point it at.
    Glyph of the Asp adds the tiles immediately adjacent to the target, and adds long-lasting poison/asphyx clouds to the mix.
    Glyph of Imhotep adds the tiles diagonally adjacent to the target, and adds the "Test/Ruin of Time" de/buff.
    Glyph of Anubis adds the tiles in a ring 2 squares out, and adds necro/putrefying damage.
    Glyph of Ra adds the tiles in a ring 3 squares out, and makes the sand set things on fire.

5. BMandFighter

BMandFighter Member

Thanks everyone.

6. BMandFighter

BMandFighter Member

New question: Looking at Dredmorpedia, it seems :magic_power: has very little effect on Sandstorm's base effect. Does it do anything to the glyph effects or are those also fairly fixed?

7. Highwang

Highwang Member

I got my own question about sandstorm: is it normal for it to destroy dungeon walls? I'm on floor 4 and it's tearing apart what I'm assuming are alot of fake walls.

8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Every area-based effect (things that target tiles instead of monsters) that does damage can destroy walls marked as destructible.

9. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

In terms of what they do to Sandstorm:
    Asp's toxic/asphyx clouds (which AFAIK can stack multiple times on a tile) and Anubis' straight-up necro/putrefying damage (which doesn't) scale approximately twice as well -- each -- as Sandstorm's base damage.

Imhotep doesn't scale, but the Ruin of Time debuff it applies is -5 each of :burliness:, :armor_asorb:, and :resist_blast:, which means anything that was already taking damage from the sandstorm is now taking 15 extra damage per turn, a lot more stuff is taking damage at all, and there's less HP to soak it all up with.

Ra doesn't scale at all, but its ground-based fires (which will be just as common as the Asp clouds, if you've seen one but not the other) do 6:dmg_conflagratory:. While the storm proper is running, it also has an extremely high chance (90%/turn) of setting the enemies themselves on fire, which pings for 1:dmg_conflagratory:/turn and applies -1:armor_asorb: (among other things). Again, this raises the base sandstorm damage by another 2 points.

With all 4 glyphs, assuming both Ruin and On Fire get applied, nothing is resisted, and there's one Asp-cloud and Ra-fire on the tile in question, the full damage formula is:
    (12 + (0.06:magic_power:)):dmg_blast: + (7 + (0.05:magic_power:)):dmg_slashing: + 1:dmg_piercing: + (1 + (0.1:magic_power:)):dmg_toxic: + (1 + (0.1:magic_power:)):dmg_aphyxiative: + (2 + (0.1:magic_power:)):dmg_necromatic: + (2 + (0.1:magic_power:)):dmg_putrefying: + 6:dmg_conflagratory: + 1:dmg_conflagratory:
    (Conflagratory is in there twice since it's split into two packets, unlike the other damage types.)
    tl;dr: With all the glyphs, Sandstorm's damage-per-turn is roughly half your :magic_power: (plus change) across a massive area, but it's split into eight damage types. It's not going to scratch Dredmor, ever, unless you've got some hardcore shenanigans going on to get upwards of 300:magic_power:.

Outside of Sandstorm:
    On their own, the only glyph with any scaling is Ra, which adds roughly a third of your :magic_power: to its melee proc.
    The Asp + Imhotep and Asp + Nile defensive cloud procs summon the same clouds as Sandstorm + Asp.

That's ... all of it, actually. Very little scaling outside of the one direct-attack spell, but then again the tree is mostly passive buffs.

EDIT: I might have included one or two things in the sandstorm damage/turn that shouldn't have been. Mines that call other mines are weird. Two plus two is ... ten. ... IN BASE FOUR! I'm fine!