Dungeons of dredmor Speedrun advice?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by gia257, Mar 1, 2013.

1. gia257

gia257 Member

Hi I made a casual speedrun (meaning without knowing the game inside out) I used the skills that I though could beat dredmor the earliest, without getting me killed, without segmenting (single segment, no retries)., and on the current steam patch.

Now I know a few modders here know the game inside out so I wonder if they have some pointers, perhaps theres other spells, items or whatever that can kill dredmor early (wtihout many levels and/or gear) that could work segmented or single segment (single segment having to require you to be able to pull it off more than once a full moon unless the theoretical successful run is THAT short).

I just found out there's auto loot, and also found out at the end of the run you can fasforward "4x" by walking while advancing turns, I used to walk OR advance turns not both at the same time.

I don't know the bare minimum combined level, magic power, sagacity, mana pool, and recovery required to beat dredmor in one strike, assuming thats the fastest, (since you can always do two or three strikes by hoping you wont be greeted by a lightning bolt, which dredmorpedia has it at a high chance). I got pretty close to run out of mana here but I did not optimize the mana plan as you can see (used the items late for example) so probably could do with a bit less. If anyone is willing to help I could run it if the strat has a good chance of being successful, or at least you can leave the road open for anyone in the future.

Daynab likes this.
  2. GreenZanbato

GreenZanbato Member

Press plus a few times to speed up the game.

3. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

Never really thought of this game as the type of game where it would feel rewarding to do a speed run.

4. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to one-shot Dredmor without some sort of crazy-overpowered mod.

5. mining

mining Member

The best way to do a speedrun is a melee dual wield build, IMO.

Dredmor has X much HP - I can't remember off hand.

You can get 10:dmg_piercing:, 15:dmg_righteous:, 25:dmg_slashing: damage off an endgame COTW sword. That can be Chest of Evil'd to ~ +30 :dmg_aethereal: (but I haven't been to 15th floor in a while, so proviso applies.) Dreddy has 30 AA and 10 pierce reduction, so we can assume -40 damage. You can get a couple points of damage/melee power from your helm, 4 melee power from a chest, 4 melee power from legs, 6 melee power from gloves, 3 melee power from gloves, 24 piercing from rings, and probably like 5 MP and 4 damage off of an amulet.
    All up, dual wielding, that comes to: [10p + 15r + 25s + 30a] * 2 + 24p + 4a? = 44:dmg_piercing: + 30:dmg_righteous: + 50:dmg_slashing: + 64ish :dmg_aethereal: , and 24ish:melee_power:.

Now, to deal with skills:

Swords: +1 piercing, 6 slashing, 4 melee power from stance.
    Dual Wielding: 2 pierce from combat momentum (hit a diggle or something ;)) 1 melee power.
    Berserker Rage: 1 melee power, up to 3 melee power, up to 3 melee power, up to 6 melee power, 5 melee power and 100 crit from TKB.
    Smithing: 7 bur
    Killer Vegan: +5 righteous damage, +9 burl
    Wandlore: +7 aethereal damage
    Maces: 30 burl from final stance.

So, assuming you get max level in all of these (smithing and maces can safely be lower, as can dual wielding if you don't mind having low to-hit chance - in terms of maxing levels): 28 warrior levels, 6 wizard levels.

In terms of mp: 28 * 0.66 + 6 * 0.33 + 30 * 0.33 + 9 * 0.33 + 7 * 0.33 + 18 + 1 + 4
    +=58 melee power
    ++7 aethereal
    ++5 righteous
    ++6 slashing
    ++3 piercing

Ok, so thus far:
    82 :melee_power:
    71ish :dmg_aethereal:
    35 :dmg_righteous:
    47:dmg_piercing:
    56:dmg_slashing:

Now, lets look at buffs:

+18 burl from burl potions = +6MP
    +2 righteous from radiant aura potions
    +1 melee power from Dire Empowerment
    +1 aethereal from lesser syzygy
    +9 burl from Plumber's Brawl mushrooms =+3 MP
    +1 melee power from fell shrooms

All up, thats:

93 :melee_power:
    72ish :dmg_aethereal:
    37 :dmg_righteous:
    47:dmg_piercing:
    56:dmg_slashing:

So, if you crit, you will do 186 + 47 + 56 + 109 damage, reduced to 398 damage. Shouldn't take too long ;;))

6. gia257

gia257 Member

had lost hopes of getting replies lol, let's see

how many times though? I did press plus a few times and everyone says to press it but no one says how many times

Well I've done a few complete speedruns, and I can say in some? authority dredmor is rewarding to complete, i would not expect it to be cool to watch

well i dont expect to one shot him, just something faster and or easier than pyre, for pyre he has to stand on the same spot until he dies, and you got mana issues, I found on my own i can try to use a stony wand to keep him on the spot using less mana overall although it will only last limited turns, but better than the original strategy, sound wand works too, clockwork bombs do okay damage but are difficult to set up with dredmor going after you, i havent tried with petrify

It has to be possible on a decent timeframe (meaning before heat death, and I mean the chance of everything going according to plan, the rng manipulation) to complete the game with such strategy in less than one hour and a half, since that's what it took the miasmatic/pyre strategy on the video I posted, I liked the idea of abusing evil chests drops until I read I needed seven maxed skills, thats too much leveling for a melee build, a mage can clear zoos in a couple minutes, a melee build has exp problems I fear

also while id do good damage i wonder how do i keep dredmor from killing me before i kill him, petrify him?

7. mining

mining Member

You can drop a lot of the levels, and only lose a few points of damage.

Drop Wandcrafting for -7, Smithing for ~-3, Dual wielding for -accuracy and -5 damageish - the main issue is just juggling skills.

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Sapeviech

Sapeviech Member

Starting to speedrun soon too, just did my first test with a melee build. Dual wield battle geology and piracy and communism are my fix picks, not sure what else to take
    I kinda need some Aoe for party rooms but still high damage and survival for single target.

Anyway if someone wants to try out stuff with me and do some speedruns for fun message me :)

9. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

So, since people seem to be interested in speed runs, I have to ask: what are your times? Do you have a goal?

10. Wootah

Wootah Member

This sounds fun.
    I only watched bits of the video, but i think +1 to speed is perfect. even 2 is too many.

11. Sapeviech

Sapeviech Member

Did my first speedrun, I refuse to use pyromancy and my only rule was do the Zoo on every level (hope its fixed that some levels have none, was fine this run)
    http://www.twitch.tv/sapeviech/b/404972124?t=21m30s

Spoiler:

I died at level 10 Zoo to an insane damage Diggle and counterattacked at my desperation attemt to kill him haha. Don't get cornered like me and flee to the stairs if you have to :p
    Anyway everything can be improved upon in my run and the build is pretty random atm aswell (only had a strict plan to level 6 or so ^^)

Hope to see more people trying out a run

12. medibot

medibot Member

Glad to know I'm not the only one trying to speedrun this game. My current build is: Promethean Magic, Golemancy, Magical Law, Mathemagic, Ley Walker, Archaelogy, and Killer Vegan.

A brief explanation of my strategy: the game is completed when Dredmor dies. Dredmor, being a nasty pile of hit points, resistances, and spellcasting, is far and away the hardest question to answer in the game. Therefore, I've selected skills that I feel effectively mitigate Dredmor. Gag Order from Magical Law shuts off Dredmor's spellcasting, as well as being an amazingly efficient single-target kill spell for most monsters. Golemancy's Unliving Wall traps Dredmor in place so that I can deal damage reasonably efficiently using Promethean Magic's Gog's Tactical Pyre. Mathemagic's Xeuclid's Translation allows easy repositioning, in case I am suddenly adjacent to Dredmor, as well as allowing me to escape from any tight spot I find myself in. Ley Walker gives me Thaumaturgic Tap so as to have more mana to pile on the Pyres and make sure that I can keep him Gagged.

Archaeology and Killer Vegan are my two non-wizard skills, and require a bit more justification. Archaeology starts me off with an extra point in trap sight and trap affinity, meaning I can more easily gain my first two levels and start casting Summon Wyrmling. Furthermore, one point invested in the skill gives me It Belongs In A Museum, letting me convert suboptimal artifacts into valuable experience. Killer Vegan, being a warrior skill, makes my character slightly less tissue-paperesque, but importantly, it makes animals non-aggressive. Simply having fewer monsters reaching for my tender and delicious wizard-throat is well worth the restrictions on food, drink, and melee combat.

A bit of non-rigorous mathematics has led me to believe that the Tactical Pyre plan is better than anything involving Stars Aligned, which is another strong anti-Dredmor skill. Stars aligned has better damage per turn, but Pyre is much more mana efficient, and you're going to blow through your mana supply quickly.

I've been trying to theorycraft up a build that involves using Petrification and Wright's Irrefutable Argument to keep Dredmor encased in a stalagmite while pummeling away with melee attacks, but I'm way too used to playing spellcasters to solve that problem by myself.

Going under 35 minutes should be possible with decent luck (I managed this in a session that I wasn't recording, of course), and under 30 minutes should be possibly with excellent luck. One of the biggest time killers in the run is just trying to find Dredmor on floor 10. Xeuclid's Translation helps greatly with this, but sometimes the big man is in the last place you look. Oh, and I have a bad habit of forgetting to apply Zenzizenzizenzic before attacking Dredmor, which may very well speed up the process.

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

This is very impressive.

I think that the main exploit that this depends on is that spellcasting should not be able to shoot through your own Unliving Wall. The strategy for beating the final boss fight really seems to depend on kiting Dredmor and shutting off his spellpower with Gag Order, which is probably overpowered - Dredmor and Vlad Digula should both have some chance to either not have it work correctly, or the spell should be reflected (for maximal nastiness)

The wyrmling is also way too overpowered in the early levels - no one spell should let you go through a zoo!

Anyhow, food for thought. I'm not doing any Dredmor work until CE ships, but food for thought.

14. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

For vlad digula, kiting and silencing really is the only way, and without other durable casters in the game the silencing mechanic isn't all that useful except for a few cases, mostly Dredmor and Digula. Reflection does work though, just give

As for summons, in other games, summons can be given a duration. Why not let them be tied to buffs? Something like:

<buff .. dispellWhenAllSummonsDie="1" >
    <summon monster="monstername" dispellBuffOnSummonDeath="1" >
    <!-- spells to trigger on the square the monster is on -->
    <effect type="trigger" name="buffToApplyToMonster" />
    <effect type="trigger" name="spellMonsterCastsWhenSpawned" />
    <effect type="trigger" name="spellMonsterCasts5TurnsLater" amount="5" />
    </summon>
    </buff>

Summons are elements because a single buff may summon multiple monsters at once (like huginn and muninn from That One Mod, or the hunting diggles). Template and target information can be hackily passed because buffs can be marked as only affecting the player already. Limitations on the number of monsters summon now boil down to the stacksize attribute, and summons can be made mana-hungry or time-limited. The player also has a visual indicator for if they have a summon active, and can X button their summons to get them off the map.

15. Wrexorcist

Wrexorcist Member

Witnessed medibot go 33 mins the other night with this build. So hes on the money there

16. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

There are some other ways actually. I killed him twice while standing on the same spot he occupies. First time I just got lucky to get on the same tile and then spammed Axxeando with Wright's. And the second time I did it on purpose by using Warlock's Challenge (on a character with high :magic_power:) repeatedly while standing in the top-left corner of the room. It took time yet it worked. And the most hilarious thing was that when he casted Thor's fulminaric bolts on this tile they damaged him more than me.