DungeonMans

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Nicholas, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Haldurson, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

The demo's pretty fun. /Endorsement

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Haldurson, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Backed it. Thanks for the link.

Haldurson likes this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

BTW, I'm having the same problem with this game that I've previously experienced with The Pit -- and that is I always seem to die at around the same level of progression. In this case, I'm usually fine until I get to level 3, when I end up either getting swarmed from multiple sides, or (in my last game) get swarmed PLUS run into something that must have been a boss. Any tips on surviving longer than that, would be helpful.

Also, how do I make use of the academy? I thought that maybe once I knew what a potion was (as an example), I could preserve that knowledge, but no luck.
    Also, how can I get stuff I'm carrying/wielding identified? I saw the skill that identifies what I pick up, but it doesn't actually apply to anything I'm currently carrying.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I take back my previous post -- actually made it to level 5 this time, got some of the answers to my questions.

Bosses (the 'out of focus' monsters) drop 'artifacts' which are items with the only purpose of returning them to the headmaster. They have no other use. They will grant you points to be added to your base stats or upgrades to the alchemy lab. I THINK it identifies potions up to the level of of the lab (which starts at 1 once you turn in the appropriate alchemy artifact). Stat upgrade points can be 'banked' and not used.

The only ways of identification that I've been able to find (so far) are:
    1. The tier 3 skill from Adventuremans (identifies anything you pick up)
    2. Potion identification from the alchemy lab
    3. An identify scroll

BTW, if you get a message stating that a dungeon ought to be trivial to you, it's only meaningful for the very first level of that dungeon. Going deeper you can still get exp and loot.

9. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

cant wait till this comes out on steam :eek:

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Anyone know what you must do to unlock Necromanser? (Yes, it is spelled Necromanser, not Necromancer.)

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Hell. Less than an hour more playing and I managed to find a graveyard... Ignore my question...

Kazeto likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

For those who want to know...
    You need to delve deep into the graveyards and kill a necromanser in them. You must do this three times. It does not matter if the dungeon is trivial to do this. And the Necromanser class sucks as it is. So wait a while and level up until the graveyards are no challenge at all before bothering.
    By the way, the 1.07c version supposedly supports saves from 1.07b, but it broke my maps so I have to do this again anyway.

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

There's only 3 hours left to support the game -- the game is officially funded, btw, so HURRAH!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've been tracking the progress on this, and it looks good. Please support it on Steam Greenlight if it looks interesting enough to you.

Kazeto, Godwin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  15. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yup saw it too (backer here), looking a lot better already! Let's get it greenlit! :)

Kazeto, OmniaNigrum and Haldurson like this.
  16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Btw, permission was given to upload videos and screenshots of the closed alpha gameplay to youtube. BTW, I'm also in the closed alpha but I'm not going to make a video.

17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

FYI: The official launch trailer is now out. The game itself will be officially released on Steam on December 9th.

The game itself has come a long way from it's alpha. But unlike many early access games, it's actually been fun to play throughout it's development. It's a roguelike game with some optional progression even after death (you can pass on knowledge, stats, gear, etc. through the building up of an academy, though it's not mandatory that you take advantage of that). Of crowd-funded games, it's been the one I've (so far) been most happy with supporting.

18. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

BTW, the game has been officially released this evening, and is available on Steam right now. And there's already talk about a free DLC.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

How is it? I haven't played a roguelike in a while...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

It's an enjoyable, not overly tough roguelike, one that you can freely recommend to newbies and old pros. While technically, there are classes, thats really just to get you started. You can mix and match skills pretty much as you please (although, of course, some have prerequisites).

Even though there is permadeath, new characters can benefit from the death or accomplishments of those that came before you -- some of it is in the improvements and contributions that you make to your academy, or you can spend resources to upgrade your following characters' starting gear, or you stow away certain high-quality items that your current character doesn't need for a later character who does need it.

It doesn't quite have as much depth as Dredmor, but it's still pretty good.