Dredmor Patch 1.0.10 RC9 Feedback Thread - I Believe in The Lever Fix

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Feb 27, 2012.

1. tennerage

tennerage Member

Way to build D:!

2. Wedge

Wedge Member

Will using the RC9 patch from here be compatible with the Steam version when it updates next week?

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

The RC9 patch IS the Steam version :)

4. Wedge

Wedge Member

Well I wasn't sure if the Cloud and Workshop integrations were going to affect it anyway, I'm assuming those are not in the patch here...? Oh OK I downloaded it now and see there is an .exe just for the steam version then.

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Errghh, I just got my fedora cursed by Krong 5 times in a row. Either fix your mercene Twister RNG, or make it finally modifiable by a file to fix the chance for cursing.
    Seriously, 5 times in a row? And people wonder why I use Alt-F4 to go back to the main menu...gah.
    I know it's a 3/7 chance or something, but come on...5 times in a row? I know I was going to the main menu each time, but unless the RNG is coded like an old one and based off the system clock...5 in a row seems unlikely as hell.

I am still serious though, I will pay you all money to make that a feature. I don't think it will require seven or 10 straight days of coding it either...
    Do I have to fly to your headquarters and challenge you to a Lutefisk eating contest to get you to do it? I will. But you'll pay for the airfare. :)
    I swear though, if it doesn't become modifiable soon I'm going to nerve staple someone, and I'll take the Economic Sanctions.

6. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Aw, that's a whole 0.2% chance (2/7ths to the fifth power), DavidB. You should consider yourself lucky that you had one of those lucky one-in-five-hundred-characters that will have this happen in their lives!

7. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

It's important to keep in mind that humans psychologically value the avoidance of losses more than they value rewards, so even if krong is generally good to the player it will not feel that way.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Sadly, I actually learned of the Gambler's Folly Paradox awhile ago, which kind of ruins the ability of me complaining. :)
    I don't know if you know about that, Essence, but it's interesting at least.

But yeah, I'm very "lucky." :)
    Now let's hope Dungeons of Dredmor also stops being unstable all of a sudden.

9. coldcandor

coldcandor Member

*Clears throat* I had Krong curse my Universal Principles SIX times in a row, and these were actual anvils used up, not just a streak on the same one.

If this is hardcoded and thus can't be modded or avoided, then either simply do not use the anvils or only use them for items that won't hurt if you need to replace them. *shrug* It's not like skipping them is going to greatly unbalance the game or anything.

10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, considering I can reload the game over and over to fix the bad luck streak, mine isn't as bad as yours. :)
    However, ow that he did that to you.
    Apparently, he's like Trog in Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. He hates magic. :)

Ahahaha. You don't need to click to open up a BBQ to cook a steak into a grilled steak. You can click on it with the steak to cook. Neat little thing. I don't know if anyone else knows that, but I'd thought I'd share it. Made me chuckle.

11. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

*Shames the save-scummer*

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I just got three negative enchants in a row...maybe this is only in 1.0.10? I've never had this happen to me in 200 hours of Dredmor games until today. Or I am just super unlucky.

13. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Nope, Krong enchants have always been luck-based. Ask Fax about Maslech, the Eater of Beatings.

FaxCelestis likes this.
  14. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Krong isn't the only unbalanced negative. I have noticed that a lot of the time, I will have a 45% chance to disarm a trap but it will take anywhere from 5 to 10 tries before I disarm it. I'm talking about the bolt traps. :( I shouldn't have to do it more than 3 or 4 times. By chance anyway. Oh well, it's something I can usually live with unless I only have a couple of points in health anyway. :)

15. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Dredmor RNG sure loves to repeat its results.

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I know you're being non-serious. :)
    However, I play off of Permadeath. Not really considered save scumming when you can reload the game every time you die.
    More like using one feature to negate the bad effects of another feature.
    And the RNG should have been changed over the patches, so a 5 times in a row cursing shouldn't be likely.
    Unless it's a lazy RNG and is based on the System clock.Disclaimer: I don't know if that's a bad RNG or not.

Also, I think if you beat ADOM after backing up your save once when there was thunder outside your house, no one is going to hold that against you. :) Because then you could probably strike them with lightning. :)

Regardless, I won't have to do this anymore, if they finally made the Krong Anvil odds changable outside of source code wizardry. "You're a source code wizard, Harry."
    I don't know anything about the source code, but it can't be amazingly hard to actually change it to be modifiable.
    Maybe if we all bribe the creators enough, they'll finally tell us the secrets...:)

I mean, I'm willing to pay money here. What more do they need before they'll do it. :(

17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Negative Krongs in a row? I have had TEN. 45% chance to disarm traps failed in a row? I have had closer to twenty.

I simply do not believe the odds anymore. I think it is more like election results. They tell you some numbers, but it really means nothing at all.

It will put a dent in my "Das Keyboard" savings, but I will chip in five dollars to DavidB1111's pool of cash to bribe a better Krong out of GLG. :)

Really? Ten negatives in a row? WTF? Before I hit five I was thinking there was some pixel of the altar that I had to click to make it finally give a positive. But since then I have had more time to reflect and I fully understand that Krong just hates me like Trog hates magic. How did Nemelex Xobeh get in DoD in place of Krong?

SkyMuffin likes this.
  18. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Its good to see I'm not the only one not trusting the trap disarm %'s even a tiny bit. It seems more like the rule than freak occurence to have 45% trap disarm attempts get me 5-15 times before a successful disarm. ^^

19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Hahaha. That's a good one. :)
    But yeah, if you really mean it, that's good. Because I will put in $20. I know it's basically bribery, but hey, Gaslamp Games, it's free money! Tax Free! At least, I think most donations like that would be.
    I know you're up in Canada, but I think Canada does has a Tax group like the IRS.

Sure, I like it when it gives me good results, but oye.
    At least finding a Ring of Iron thorns for sale in the shop on floor 2 helped. Krong likes that. Krong hates my Fedora though, and thinks I want random useless abilities on it.

20. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I really do mean it. I pledge $5 USD for the cause. I can be quoted on that too.

Chip in guys. If you can afford common luxuries like beer or Coffee, why not a bribe donation to help improve the game we all love in a good way?

I literally spend more on Coffee and Tea than on all other foods combined. So I cannot justify buying a luxury device like Das Keyboard while ignoring the game I have been playing daily for months. That is why I decided I will buy another copy of the game once it is available without Steam. And that is why I am pledging $5 USD towards this noble purpose.