Dredmor Patch 1.0.10 RC9 Feedback Thread - I Believe in The Lever Fix

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Btw, if you use Wild Magic, you will get all the burnt out wands you can handle... with some patience.

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Oh, sure. Easy.

EDIT: Done. Set a wand's min and max charges to -1 to have it be an infinite wand with no charges applied to it.

Arron Syaoran, Marak and Loswaith like this.
  3. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

If its for a mod (presumably a skill) why not just have a skill that spawns wands with the max charges and a super high recharge, though for 1.0.10 you could add sacrificing a burnt wand for the new one, and you wont have any left.

4. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

FYI, the syntax for scaling is secondaryScale and primaryScale. Search the spellDB.xml for examples of these in the official spells.

5. Nicholas

Patch is patchy. OS X and Linux are going to be fun because the next new exciting move to Even More Real Offices is tomorrow, and all the computers are sort of packed and disassembled. So, uh, we'll do that somehow...

6. *tries best to smile, tears rolling down cheeks*

kino5 likes this.
  7. Quarky

Quarky Member

Code them with the power of your mind.

This is always the answer.

8. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

drainMana still doesn't work... or perhaps i'm using it wrong.

9. Nicholas

Didn't get looked at yet.

10. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

http://pastebin.com/RpiaqegX

This is the spell you wanted to see.
    Each spell effect deals scaling damage, but is part of a trigger effect.

None of the parts of this spell will scale with patch build rev2.

11. Glazed

Glazed Member

I'm very glad you got rid of "Zalgo Blast1" on Malleus Maleficarium and The King in Yellow. M.M. is now really neat. However, I'm not sure that Zalgo1 is a good new choice for The King in Yellow. I'm still killing myself with the resultant Corpse Blast. Tomes that make you kill yourself are only useful for ranged characters, and that makes me sad.

I was looking at the spawn list for the new Mushroom spell. It lists Tofu as a choice. Is this intentional? Tofu isn't a fungus. Since the effect already spawns Fairywodger, I don't see why you'd want it to spawn food now, anyway. Also, there are now two chances to spawn "Spores". One for amount=3 and one for 5. I commented out the rest of the fungus to see just what these two options would do. It spawns nothing. When I limited the list to just Spores and Tofu, it always spawns Tofu. I assume that items that don't exist get skipped from the spawn list. Did you intend these two entries to do something? I even tried changing them to "Mushroom Spores", but still nothing.

At any rate, it's OK. I changed it to spawn these items instead:

tomes.png
    Now it's my favorite spell!

All joking aside, I'm also not entirely thrilled with the new mechanics for Mushrooms. I agree that it used to be really overpowered. For one, you could make limitless spores and turn them into lutefisk. You could also turn literally every corpse into a mushroom after making a ton of spores ahead of time. The dropping-an-item-on-a-corpse mechanic was also very awkward, so I'm glad that's gone.

However, now it takes 20 turns between turning corpses into fungus. That's harsh. I find myself killing a few guys, turning the first into a shroom, then wanting to hit space 20 times so I can do it again. It's not a combat spell, so having a long cooldown on it doesn't make it a tactical choice of when to use it like a cooldown does for melee spells, or teleports and such. All the cooldown serves to do is make me die of boredom and get carpal tunnel syndrome. Game mechanics where it's Man vs. Boredom as the limit for abusing the mechanic are not particularly good.

Mana and Health regen are another example of this mechanic. The only thing limiting me from healing these stats to full between clearing every room is that same boredom mechanic. I don't want to spend my time running back and forth to heal all my mana and health when I could be just playing the game. Thankfully, though, there are food and drink and a Digest button as a much more fun alternative. (Although in a pinch the run-around mechanic is still available.) There is no such alternative for the Mushroom Farmer spell. Well, I suppose I could drink a 20 turn beverage and hit Digest. :)

Nothing would really change if you made the cooldown on Mushroom Farmer something like 4 turns, like Corpse Drain has. In either case, 20 turns or 4, I could still turn every corpse into a mushroom, but at 4 I wouldn't wear out my space bar. The only real difference is, with 20 turns, there's the chance of a monster spawning nearby to interfere with my fungiculture, which is not that big of a deal. In fact, it's another body!

12. Nicholas

The real issue with mushroom farming in 1.0.9 (and with lockpicks, as well!) is that it encourages constant click-spam farming. People always do these things, and they hate themselves for doing them, and then they hate us. So it's all being gotten rid of in favour of better things.

I have no idea why it's spawning tofu, though. David? As a vegan, you should know better.

Marak, Ruigi and Kazeto like this.
  13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Get item, add effect you want, add effect of spawning the same item in your inventory.
    You'll get an item you'll be able to use an infinite amount of times.

14. Glazed

Glazed Member

I can see that click-spam farming might make certain people hate themselves and/or hate you. However, this hasn't changed much. Now, instead of farming a bunch of spores every 32 turns as they explore, they can't farm the items at all. What used to be an occasional click to build up some spores and single click to get a mushroom is now 21 clicks to get a mushroom, if the player still felt the need to farm mushrooms. The same people who felt compelled to farm in the first place are still going to do it. They'll just hate you even more. :)

Have you considered changing the spell entirely? I like the flavor of turning corpses into mushrooms with a sprinkle of spores, but maybe that mechanic is the whole problem. Perhaps you could try making it an on-death proc that has an X% chance of spawning a mushroom 4 turns later. This must not destroy the corpse, or else that takes away the player's choice to use the corpse for exploding or draining. What would a fair % chance be? 10? 15?

So, rather than having the player perform an explicit action once in a while, the effect simply happens by itself once in a while, and they get a reasonably steady stream of mushrooms. This puts an upper limit on the number of mushrooms they can get. No longer can they turn every corpse into a mushroom by spending the time. Instead, they just keep exploring and the mushrooms appear on their own.

The flavor of the effect can still be the same. The description can say that you put spores on every corpse, but they only occasionally bear fruit.

15. Nicholas

I fixed it! It's in Patch 2! We can stop talking about Infinite Wands now!

(I think.)

16. Nicholas

Yeah, that's the eventual decision that we need to go, I think. We'll see what happens between now and release.

17. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Yes, this is the solution we've discussed and agreed upon, it's just waiting on the feature to be implemented.

18. Nicholas

... yeah, yeah. Ask me after we Move All The Things. :)

Essence and dbaumgart like this.
  19. lockeslylcrit

lockeslylcrit Member

Playing the Release Candidate 2. I'm noticing there's no longer a microstutter when the music changes. I can now walk in and out of a shop without the game lagging. Food no longer crashes the game, also.

20. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Posting this here for the benefit of anyone who may notice it: for crafting, only one of the new filters works correctly currently. "Have ingredients" works and toggles only the recipes you can make. However, "Have skill" is always on and as such you cannot see recipes you don't have the skill for. "Secret Recipes" appear to be always on as well and there's no difference between toggling it on and off.