Dredmor Patch 1.0.10 RC9 Feedback Thread - I Believe in The Lever Fix

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Karock

Karock Member

They haven't put it out on steam... or even released the patch yet!

Fixing one bug has a tendency of screwing up other thing you fixed and creating new bugs.

Not meaning to attack you or anything, but you don't sound like an ideal beta tester to me. You should probably just wait until they actually release the patch before trying it.

2. Loren

Loren Member

I'm glad that shirts could make it in this beta. I was worried I was the only one affected by them.

3. Marak

Marak Member

He does have a point, though. There are bugs that persist through patch after patch, even though they are supposedly fixed each time. His advice to work out the kinks as a priority over adding new goodies isn't a bad idea; he's just presenting it in a rather blunt and argumentive manner.

I will attest that the persistent bugs and UI niggles really do hamper one's enjoyment of the game, especially after you're a "veteran" and are simply trying new and exciting builds. There's all sorts of things that slow gameplay down or are inconvenient as hell, things like...

• Windows not saving positon and having to be dragged into place every time you load up.
    • The fact that you can't click thru the crafting interface.
    • The crafting interface still not working with the mouse scroll wheel.
    • Random crashes that delete an entire floors' worth of work and you have no idea what you did to crash the game.
    • Stat bugs galore - mostly variations of them not being applied or simply doing nothing at all.
    • Belts going *poof* into the nether because you tried a shortcut (right-clicking) that works with every other gear slot.
    • Having a combat log that can't be "rewound" and is basically useless when you encounter things like Monster Zoos that simply overwhelm it.
    • Not seeing how much XP you get per kill/lockpick'd/Heroic Vandalism/etc. in text form anywhere - if you're playing on Fast Speed it's very, very hard to pick that stupid little Medal icon out from in-between the 17 damage numbers that popped up on the killing blow.
    • Not being able to clear a slot in your 1-9 Skill Bar. If you decide that the skill in number 3 would be better as number 9, it will then be in both places permanently unless you learn a new skill and use it to "overwrite" number 3. Why is there not a blank box in the list of Skills To Put Here when you right-click one of those shortcut buttons?
    • Related, how about clicking and dragging skills out of the Skill Book and onto the Skill Bar, like you do with Consumables into the Belt Bar? Those tiny little shrunk down icons the current method uses can be hard to distinguish from one another.
    • Using Shift 1-9 or even just pressing one of the number keys sometimes does not recognized. I've died a few times because I hit, say, "7" to select a Movement Ability or Teleport, only to lethally My Chemical Explosion myself in the face because the game decided to ignore my input and leave my selected Skill as Number 3 (the aforementioned Chemical Explosion).
    • And so on.

When you've been struggling with these things since patch 1.0.2 or thereabouts, it sometimes makes you think twice about firing up Dredmor for one more session. A little polish is sometimes better to (for?) the player than New Shinies.

4. EDIT: Read OP. Alright, I guess I can wait.

ElectricMessiah likes this.
  5. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I can't get damage scaling to work, take this spell for example

<spell name="Rocket Jump Stomp" type="target">
    <effect type="damage" crushing="4" crushingF="4" secondaryFactor="10" affectscaster="0" />
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="5" framerate="100" sfx="crushing" centerEffect="0"/>
    <effect type="suction"/>
    </spell>

supposedly with damage scaling, the attack will add 4 damage per point of Armor, but this effect does not work.

Also, the drainMana effect doesn't work.

6. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Ruigi, read the OP. Scaling isn't active yet.

Marak et. al, just a small point: step back and look at your list of "kinks". Only 3 of them are things that actually need fixing (crashes, stat bugs, and belts), and all three of them are planned to be addressed by the patch. Seriously, these guys have been working their asses off to get this out at all -- the fact that they released the beta patch without a pile of internal testing isn't worth bitching about. The community can and does test shit far more in-depth, in-breadth, and faster than internal testing could ever allow.
    They've done their part -- coding the patch as best as they've had time -- and now it's our turn: breaking it and telling them what needs more attention. That's the entire point of the beta-patch process. Let it do it's work.

7. The OP says that? I don't see. It looks like that's supposed to be one of the things working. Randomized damages and resistances are what haven't been added yet by the looks of it.

8. Essence

Ooops, my bad. You're right.

9. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

In no particular order:

That we can fix fairly easily.

[/quote]

I don't understand what you want here?

This one we can't fix because the crafting interface is not modal. If you keep the crafting interface open, there is no evidence that the mouse scroll button should move through the crafting interface as opposed to, say, the belt. (That said, I don't know how many people keep their crafting interfaces open at all times.) This used not to be an issue with the old recipe book because the recipe book was modal.

No more pleased by this one than you are, although a lot of them are gone as of 1.0.10. Except for the new one. We also added the autosave, which should help.

These are on my list to look into, but admittedly haven't been done yet.

Somebody said earlier in the thread that this was not fixed; I just tested it this morning, and it is fixed locally... or at least I can't reproduce it. Am I missing something?

Is a legitimate complaint.

Also a legitimate complaint.

David informs me that he actually did art for this one; I just forgot. I'll sneak it in RC2.

... okay, wait, he's fibbing. So we'll put it in, but we're waiting for art.

Click and drag is a pain in the ass because some of Dredmor's UI code is... shall we say, crufty. So it's not impossible, but not exactly fun. I'm also not entirely convinced that there aren't resolutions in which the skill bar will be obscured by the text.

This one is a new one. I'll look into it.

Sure, but most of the stuff in this patch is actually stuff that directly addresses either crashes, UI polish, or gameplay issues. There hasn't been much new content since 1.0.8, and before that, 1.0.4. http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Version_history

At the risk of being cantankerous: I'd argue that we're doing exactly what you want; we just haven't dealt with everything on the list yet. :)

10. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Scaling fixed.
    Belt bug not reproducible.
    Tracking down the new random crash now, and then pushing out another beta.

11. I don't know if this is related to any of the other known crashes, but I started a fresh game, made it fine to floor 3 (with some hiccups when going downstairs or randomly in the music), then I saved and quit because I had to go away. Now when I load the save (I have 4-5 enemies around me) as soon as I smack a couple of them my game crashes, crashed within 3 turns atleast 10 times, Maybe it's related to counter?

12. Essence

Same. Played for an hour with no crashes, saved and reloaded, now I crash regularly upon killing the first enemy (not always, though, it crashes on Deth, Excision, and Batty, but not Enraged Diggle) or if I try to eat or drink any Food or Booze. Potions/wands/mushrooms work fine, but food and booze crash one frame before the buff icon would hit the screen.

13. Karock

Karock Member

Hey Nicholas, are 'negative stats being added as positive bonuses permanently on level up' on the list of patch fixes? or is that a bug fix which isn't really possible to fit into this patch?

Just hoping to get some clear info on that bug.

(As an easy to test example of this bug: the negative mana and health regeneration bonuses applied by necronomics(etc) turn into permanent positive mana or health regen on level up -- this may only happen when the buffs are stacked or stacked after a certain point).

14. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I just wanted to clarify something: with Gaslamp, generally there is some internal testing of course, but the majority of the testing is crowdsourced. The patch above will not be launched on Steam/Desura etc until it's ready and stable. They let us who want to be part of the testing team, be part of the testing team. It's optional.

Essence and ElectricMessiah like this.
  15. Marak

Marak Member

Sorry, I was referencing this:

That's a shame, clicking on arrow buttons to scroll is, well, clunky. And it's easy to miss the scroll button(s) and click Craft by mistake. Oh well, if it can't be fixed, it can't be fixed. :(

I'd settle for not scaling the icons down so much when selecting Skills to put in the Skill bar, honestly. Even at a modest 1024 x 768 resolution, those things are so small that often times, they cease to be distinct from each other, especially for things like the various Spell Schools, which tend to re-use a lot of the same colors in the icons.

No no, be cantankerous all you'd like: I'm the one derailing the thread. I was simply trying to say that I thought that ledow had some valid points, he was simply voicing them in a moderately hostile way. And then I got carried away, as I'm wont to do on forums. :(

So uh, yeah. Carry on, don't mind me. I'm eagerly awaiting this patch so I can take Tanky McTankerson II through Floors 10-15 in all their loot-and-trap-expanded glory.

16. Crowdsourced. Nice term. Also, when feeling the need to write such a statement, a good 'ol fashioned "RTFM" works to. In this case it would be RTFOP. .02 and 'liked'.

17. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Belt bug is easily doable with two leather belts. Use the fill inventory debug key on floor 1, right click leather belt while wearing a leather belt. It doesn't work with every kind of belt.

ElectricMessiah likes this.
  18. badboy80

badboy80 Member

Can we get infinite wands for modding? Please? It can't be that hard!

19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I don't think that's necessary.
    You can use the debug mode or modify the source code for yourself; it's not that difficult (and many of us are capable, and often wishing, to help with that).

20. badboy80

badboy80 Member

It's actually for a mod, not to test a mod. I need to cast spells from items for an infinite amount of uses, but I can't get it right. I could end up with infinite stacks of burnt out wands, or have the spell only cast on the player!