Dredmor confessions

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by SkyMuffin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Warlock

Warlock Member

What living? surely you've got enough zorkmids to last a couple of generations once you're done with escaping the dungeon? If your descendants want to get rich, then all they have to do is repeat the process.

Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  2. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Just because you have enough money to live doesn't mean that you want to lay around all day doing nothing. My winning adventurers could be the best smithing/tinkering/alchemist around if they want to be.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I play with Debug mode and then augment that cheating with cheat mods, and if that were not already insane enough, I use Artmoney to edit memory the game is using for things like the number of a particular consumable item.

I have not had a non-lamer win in months. And I spend ten times as much time in these forums than in the game, even when I am discussing the game.

I may be the lamest cheater ever. But cheaters always win. :D

Vitellozzo likes this.
  4. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

1. Nearly all of my game-time happens late at night (after 11pm - often until 3am). I usually play until I'm falling asleep. About 50% of my DoD deaths happen because I fall asleep while walking, and hit traps / monsters / etc.
    2. My entire family plays DoD, though I'm the only one to actually finish the game with PD. My 9-year-old son has made a non-PD character, just so he can finish the game once. So cute!
    3. I love the gaslamp forums so much, I founded my own game studio, announced a major project, and ran a Kickstarter JUST so I could have my own forums that are almost as nice!

5. Thecakepie

Thecakepie Member

In real life I cull all the weak items from my house, but in dredmor I'm always like "But but, what if I NEED that? Better hang onto it just in case"

I sometimes wonder if it might be fun to have monsters that spawn (similar to dred collectors) if you have a full inventory too often, or if you have too much stuff in your pocket dimension.

Vitellozzo and Jace like this.
  6. Jace

Jace Member

I love the metagame implications of megahorder monstrous mashers! After eons of playthroughs worth of completely molesting the dungeon economy, the karmic dungeon demons fight back!

Also fierce pocket dimension gnomes blinking in... to steal your casserite ;)

Vitellozzo likes this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Do not give the devs more ideas to torment us with. Thanks.

Vitellozzo likes this.
    • I've been playing a character named AchievementBot, who I play for the specific purpose of testing and maxing skills I don't have the achieve for yet.
    • On AchievementBot, I tend to play things entirely backwards, such as Kronging mission-critical equipment (curses are more achieve progress!) and eating omelets as soon as injured instead of hoarding them (MOAR PROGRESS!)
    • I've collected two dozen Wizardland addresses over achievebot runs. My next for serious character is going to be very busy in those.
    • I am almost constitutionally incapable of leaving the clone lever alone.

8. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Mysterious Portals are my favorite thing in the game. I always go into in unless in it is on floor 1-3 (which case I came back for them).

9. Albit-ness

Albit-ness Member

• I have a corruptionphobia and because of that i can't go past 10-11 floors. (And then i learned what magic dragons and golems, as well as Dredmor and Digula corrupt too. *Gulp*)
    • I'm constantly trying to do a random build. But it's either unplayable or boring for me. Mostly boring.
    • Tried to play Impo Paradoxus (A.K.A. Let's play with Bankster, Communism, Killer Vegan, Big Game Hunter, Burglary, Magical Law (well, it is still a law) and spice it with Vampirism (Vampires do not exist, silly!)) First run was so bad what i want to try again.
    • Constantly trying to complete GRPD( well, generally, any PD). Feeling ashamed after every try.
    • Necronomiconomnomnoming myself to death several times because i thought i was the boss and can take debuffs without :resist_nercomatic:.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I love the imminent sense of danger and adventure you get from exploring a Mysterious Portal. And the loot from 10 floors into the game. :D

Gaidren likes this.
  11. MoonTreant

MoonTreant Member

I... rather dislike Krong. I used to slap myself whenever I said, "Oh, well maybe he won't curse me this time..." and he curses the weapon into uselessness. Now, after that first complimentary buff Krong gives, I shake hands (not with my bare hand, I don't doubt that he'd corrupt that somehow, too) and say goodbye.

I can't bring myself to take Blood Magic over Ley Walker. It must really smell funny, because whenever I build a character that it makes perfect logical sense on, like a Promethean or Necronomiconomics mage, I hover my cursor over the Blood Magic icon, remember how wonderfully consistent Ley Walker is, and click it instead whether it's actually better or not.

I've never beaten GRPD with a mage. The power simply goes to my head and I get stupid. I'll max Promethean magic and have the absence of intelligence to think, "With all this fire resistance, I bet I could walk through any ol' trap!" Or I'll max Necronomiconomics and get a little too frisky with Tenebrous Rift. I'm apparently not above placing a Rift on top of myself to wipe out the four monsters that appear when you step on a red square... and subsequently realizing that the vision reduction is to ensure that you can't escape with a targetable teleport. I've only beaten GRPD with a Warrior or Rogue... because apparently it's really difficult to kill yourself when you play one. :\

Stoz, OmniaNigrum and SkyMuffin like this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Ley Walker is far more useful deeper in the game unless you either manage to exceed what is required for 1 :mana:per turn regen, or if your equipment makes it go low due to any :mana_regen: malus. By the deep dungeon you will expend far more mana per kill average than Blood Magic will restore.

Alchemy or Ley Walker is the way to go for mana. (Both.)

Note that untargeted teleports do not always suffer from your reduced :sight:.

MoonTreant and Kazeto like this.
  13. Urthdigger

Urthdigger Member

I tend to fear Krong. He's cursed way too many nice things, and when I do get bonuses it's always things I never care about, like magic power on a rogue.

I have died way, WAY too many times due to not using potions and wands I pick up. Despite the fact that I inevitably get so full on inventory that I'm running to the store every few minutes.

Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  14. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

I cannot play a character without alchemy.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have one more thing. I *Always* play with Debug Mode. So I have *NEVER* encrusted anything. Either this function does not work in Debug Mode, or I have simply failed hard for way too long. I have no idea how it even works. Every time I tried, I got the whole "You must select and item" text and could never figure out how to select the item.

16. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

You see the little box in the encrust window? Pick up your item and drop it in there.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It does not seem to work in Debug Mode. I tried exactly that. I also tried dropping it in pretty much every item sized area of the screen while attempting this. I will give it another try one day *Without* debug mode and see if I am just being r... moronic. :D

18. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

I love trying to do those with characters that "shouldn't" be able to. Sometimes the reward is amazing, and if you die...at least you go out in a blaze of glory.

I had a Bankster character clean one of those out on like DL 2. There were monsters there I had no business killing, but I'd Bankster charm the toughest one and he'd kill his friends....managed to get the amazing helm off Major Tom along with a 40+ damage axe super early in the game, it was great! I sort of felt like I earned it, unlike when I steal some end game item off of Brax on floor one when he's located close to some stairs. :p

SkyMuffin and Kyrie like this.
  19. Tokubara

Tokubara Member

Whenever my items get corrupted (or cursed), I force a crash using the Task Manager.

OmniaNigrum likes this.