Dredmor 1.0.6. Patch Commentary

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

So - patch is up. Thoughts? Comments? Complaints? Praise? Let us know here!

Exile likes this.
  2. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

Initial thought - yay for blink battys that actually blink! :)

3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Noooo! I'm kidding, I like that addition.
    Reminds me of the blink bats from Diablo I.
    Now maybe eventually they'll add the chance for monsters to drop items. :)
    I don't know how that would be balanced, but I have hope you can do that.
    "GAMEPLAY: The resistance statistic now gives you a roll to block corruption attacks."
    THANK YOU! Now I have a reason for stacking resistance like crazy. Though, what resistances? all of them? Transmutive, which would make the most sense. :)
    GAMEPLAY: Sneakiness has a -20 modifier.

I'm a little confused about the Sneakiness, doesn't that make Sneakiness unusable? I mean, it doesn't even start at 20, so dropping it to -20 will make most anyone start at -4 or so Sneakiness. Which would make you about as sneaky as a Cyberdemon. :)

I mean, if you're doing this to stop people from abusing sneakiness and getting it up to above 80, there are better ways. :)

GAMEPLAY: Added the Mosolov Cocktail! Don’t drink it all at once.
    Don't you mean Molotov?

I mean, you can drink a Molotov cocktail, it's usually alcohol. You can't while the fuse is in and all. :)

4. Marak

Marak Member

Bah, I just made a whole separate thread for this very reason :( Oh well. I can summarize here, too, for funsies:

Noticed a few new Monster comments: "we have ways of making you talk" and "hello". Regarding the former, there needs to be a reference to a Comfy Chair™, if you ask me. No one will expect it.

New Minimap Icons: Teleport squares and the various Shrines. Related: Anvils and Inconsequentia Icons light up and dim dynamically. I really really really hope that UberChests™ have an Icon now too, but amazingly the first Floor didn't have any, so I'm still searching.

A few new crafting recipes have been added, near as I can tell. By default, there are a handful of new Rings and Axes and Maces for Smithing - that I noticed, at least. I'm sure there must be others. This applies to your starting recipes, I haven't seen enough Bookcases yet to tell if new "hidden" recipes have been added.

Non-lava Eelys now spit Acid at you! It hurts, leaves a puddle on the ground, and gives you an Acid debuff. Not pleasant at all, and makes Eelys something to be feared rather than simply being Spell/Bolt fodder.

The Easy Target trap now lasts for 1 hit instead of a certain number of turns. You can no longer trip one and walk off the negative effect.

Double-size Bottom UI Bar works. Use it on resolutions much larger than 1024x768 for best effect. =p

Click-to-move disabling fixed. You can no longer take single steps when it's turned on.

New Help Buttons with little [ ? ] boxes in the Escape Menu really make it much more user-friendly: they tell you exactly what the option does, and in some cases, even what the current setting you have toggled does. Very nice.

Complaints: items can still spawn under Shrines and Vending Machines, rendering them unclickable unless you can shove the Shrine/Doodad around with a Skill and get lucky enough that the item under it is not shoved into the same square again.

The Eelys spitting at me didn't seem to be recorded in the Combat Log. Said Combat Log still scrolls too slowly and you can't scroll it back up - once something goes up off the top of the screen, it's gone forever. I really wish the Combat Log would add the amount of Experience Points each kill is worth: "The Diggle collapses in a pile of scraps and fail! You gain 8 Experience." That little Purple Heart Medal +8 is hard to see in the numbers and abilities procing spam over a monster's head, especially if you're playing at 2x speed. Having it "in writing" somewhere would be a godsend.

So all in all, it's looking very good so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what the lower Floors have in store (assuming I make it that far, I am on GR/PD with a Melee character, so...)

5. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

I laughed out loud at the new "badass" item. Worth the price of admission right there.

6. Derakon

Derakon Member

I believe they're talking about Magic Resistance, not a specific damage type resistance. Like, the one that looks like a spiny purple circle in a square.
    Again, I believe what they mean here is that they've added a -20 to the resistance calculation. So e.g. where it used to be "chance to trigger trap = (sneakiness) / 100", now it's "chance = (sneakiness - 20) / 100" (numbers made up; I have no idea what the actual odds are).

Mosolov was a Russian composer.

7. 123stw

123stw Member

I feel like some of the 1.05 and 1.06 beta should be addressed before continuing to stack more on top of things?

So Heal = "Amount F" still isn't fixed, damage on armor/resist on weapon doesn't seem to work, the new axe trigger effect doesn't work, leech still doesn't work on the kill shot, nightmare and deathly hex still giving multiple debuff when cast on corpse, ley walker trigger still doesn't work, sleep trigger gets disrupted on the turn resulting in no sleep......

New features are nice and all, but only if they are working.

As for the balance
    Thaumite got a bit more damage, don't think it's enough to offset the huge new cost.
    Fleshbore got change to have amountF.... But last I check amountF was never fixed for heal.
    Math nerfed, Translation min cost raised significantly, zen cost raise, all are called for.
    Viking changed to be more variable for melee, while arctic wind got a nerf (cost increase). Whatever intended knockback/stun on Unholy Warcry doesn't work, which IMO is better that way.
    Pyrokenesis got cost boost.. Why?
    Solar Inscription got a hard nerf? From a bad stun to a high cost low damage trap?
    Mark of Chthon got nerfed down to 1 necro resist. It was always there for the resist, so now it's kinna pointless since the sleep thing never works.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah, thank you, Derakon, it wasn't exactly obvious.
    Why would they make them even harder for melee characters? :( That's not very fair. It's bad enough they're almost unhittable due to an insanely high counter/dodge rate, and the fact they hit hard as hell, now they shoot acid from a distance. :(
    I wish this game's game designers would realize that not everyone loves OP mages. :)
    Also, I hope someday the damage is reduced on Elvish Easy, or it really is going to be the new Going Rogue. :(

Edit: Fixed me being stupid.

9. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Works for me.

Has a neat visual effect too.

10. 123stw

123stw Member

No it doesn't work.

What you have from an anvil buff is not stored the same way as item.xml.

11. 123stw

123stw Member

Right looks like they fixed that and just never updated the database.

What extra damage are you talking about?

Anvil? Yes it works everyone knows that. Yeah and anvil weapon to cast works just fine.

It's the new weapons with the new tags that's not working. You can't make a magma mace with the 3 fire resist as advertised on 1.06 beta, and if they fixed it they have not updated the database.

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Yeah, our accounting with the database may be a bit off.

Re: damage/resistances and the mace trigger - they're working over here, but we disabled them for this build because they're causing... interesting save-game crashes. We left the items in, and we will flip them on for 1.0.7, but we didn't want to hold things up further. (Especially the Killer Digest button.)

1.0.6 was a little rushed out the door so that we could have a build that was synched across all our new distributors and the Linux build. Ideally, we would have had another week, but we needed to get the distributors sorted out fast. Why this is the case... will become apparent shortly.

Exile likes this.
  13. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

Can anyone post the full changes or point me in the right direction?

Just tested warcry, I like the idea but it doesn't work. Artic wind nerf is totally fair, 5 mana vs. 3. I like that there are no charges on the viking buffs. I'll have to play around with everything. If warcry gets fixed I'm thinking a viking melee champ!

14. 123stw

123stw Member

It doesn't mean anything unless you are looking into the codes.

If it shows up on your screen it's working.

It's all the stuff that they type into the database that never made it to your screen.

15. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

OKay. I got it. I just misunderstood what you said. I'm sorry,
    Please accept my apologies.
    I don't mean to sound like a brain damaged moron. :(
    I edited/deleted my posts. I apologize for everything. I really apologize for being stupid.

16. 123stw

123stw Member

Thanks.

Also, I hate to sound like a broken record, but please don't nerf stuff unless they are causing largely recognized problems. Esepcially those huge hard nerfs on skills that are already recognized to be mediocre/bad (ex: thaumite/pyrokenesis/solar inscription).

So like solar inscription.... 12 mana for a trap that deal 3 fix damage once with burn? No longer stun? I just don't get it. It's so bad I can't even bear using it on floor 1 with infinite mana cheat.....

17. Stoz

Stoz Member

@jhffmn: The patch change list is here on the Gaslamp Games blog : http://www.gaslampgames.com/blog/2011/10/11/patch-1-0-6-is-now-live/

Nicholas, here are some highlights from me:

The funniest thing about the patch for me was the Magical Badass Jacket, especially as I remember a thread on these forums where someone enquired about how to use The Wizard's Sleeve and got a joking reply of to craft it with the One-armed Leather Jacket.

I'm especially glad that you fixed the steam achievements because every time in the back of my mind when I smashed a statue I would be thinking "and I still have to smash 100 more once the next patch hits".

With regards to trying to balance things have you ever considered applying diminishing returns to some stats? For example with sneakiness rather than a straight up -20 nerf you could make it so that over a certain number each point of sneakiness is worth less than 1 full point. This means that you always get some extra effect from additional stats but discourages pilling heaps of points on.

I think you still have a little way to go with refining the crafting recipe interface. For one having it be "modal" so you can't click on anything behind it can be frustrating. I would also find it immensely more useful if it was possible to filter for a particular ingredient, finding everything it can be made into, but also being able to filter it down again to remove crafting skills I don't have access to. This frustrated me so much that I created a php script that reads all the data in from the craftDB and then allows me to do that kind of filtering.

Lastly, thanks for all the work you are putting into this great game.

18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Wait, Stoz, I thought Sneakiness was like what Derakon said earlier, and not reduced it by 20 at the start. Because that would be rather not nice. :) Most every character would start with negative sneakiness.

19. Velorien

Velorien Member

This. I made an account here just to comment on the horrors that have been unnecessarily perpetrated on Narcosomatic Induction. It is no longer possible to play a dedicated psion on GR because Narcosomatic Induction now does 1 damage and is frequently resisted. One's entire mana supply isn't enough to kill the weakest monster in the game. I now need to use up a skill slot on a weapon skill purely for the purpose of living long enough to reach level 2 and get Shove.

Narcosomatic Induction is now useless. You can't use it to damage monsters, and you can't use it as an emergency stun because it's so frequently resisted. That's not just a nerf, that's practically a Skill That Must Not Be Used, like Five-Finger Discount.

Edit: It's also now even more overshadowed by Shove, since its slightly higher damage used to be a reason to keep it for use on single monsters. Now it doesn't even have that function.

On the other hand, I really like the change to Smithing. It always belonged in the Warrior archetype, so thank you for putting it there.

cameron8161 likes this.
  20. Pothunter

Pothunter Member

Sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.

UI-Size x2:
    Important: Why are there no more numbers directly on the pic of this things in your belt? Now I have to hover over with my mouse to see how many of each bolt/food/etc. I got left.
    Not so important: Please increase the size of the font of the XP-Bar. It is almost impossible for me to read it (1920x1080, fullscreen, 1.5m away from screen).

Keyboard-Functionality:
    - It is nice to be able to destroy a Dredmor-Statue without having to click. Add more like this please! A button with which we could disarm traps and open chests would be convenient too. Example: Pressing shift+W or shift+LeftArrow will open a Chest, open the dialogue menu for smashing a chest , disarm a trap or open the dialogue menu für disarming a trap. All Left of the character ofc.
    - Dialogue like for attempting to disarming a trap should be usable with Enter for "Yay" and Exit for "Nay"

Achievements:
    For me, they still do not work. My roommate's achievements stopped working altogether (he mastered the Sword-Tree and the Armor-Tree for the first time and didn't got them). We both tried the Achievement with the Canada-Stuff and it didn't work for both of us.