Dredmor 1.0.10 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Hey, guys, it came to my attention, that the Time Lord Scarf randomly teleports you around, which is why I was teleporting a lot in RC 9. I'm surprised no one told me this.
    Is there a reason for making this item have a horrible curse? "What a horrible night for a curse."
    Teleportitis, I.E. Random Teleporting is a not a good thing at all. :)
    Plus, it doesn't really fit in with Doctor Who mythos, he has a TARDIS. He does not have a scarf that randomly teleports him around.

Even if he were to try to dodge attacks, he wouldn't want to teleport randomly. :)
    I'm really kind of confused why it now teleports you randomly, and how no one mentioned it to me.
    I would like to know the reasoning behind this potentially fatal idea. Because nothing is more painful than teleporting into an arch-diggle swarm. Not to mention, I can't wait to hear the rage when people put it on and die on Permadeath because it teleports you around. You think I complain a lot.

It may be extremely powerful, but so is the Window of Elements, and the Crownstar Addendum and they don't randomly teleport you.
    This makes the Time Lord Scarf extremely dangerous which is a bad idea, since it's 10 cold resist could have been easily nerfed instead.
    As it stands, the 10 resistance to cold helps a lot in fighting strong enemies later that love to spam Artic Vortex, and does make the fight with Dredmor a bit more easier.
    According to lccorp2, it does.

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

TLS teleports you? I never heard of this.

3. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

That's because item's when-hit triggers weren't working before.

4. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

So, they fixed a bug, and because they fixed a bug, they made an item completely and totally useless until Teleport Control is added into the game?
    That seems a bit problematic.
    Not to mention, probably one of the worst ways to balance an item. Giving it a fairly good chance of instant-deathing you is really bad. And by that, I mean throw you into a mob and have you chainsawed before you can react.

That 10 resistance to cold is not worth dying...to paraphrase from the Doctor himself, "Worst Bug-Fix EVER."

They should have made it obvious that it teleports you randomly. I see no indication it does that at all.
    Nethack/Crawl/Angband/ADOM all have it made obvious that an item gives you random teleportation, having it completely random with no way to realize it does that without looking at the code, is something even really hard Roguelikes tend to avoid doing.
    I can't think of any Roguelike, hard/easy/medium that would actually not make it obvious where your random teleporting is coming from.

Yes, even tripping down a staircase with a cockatrice corpse in Nethack and instant killing yourself is still not a bad idea. :) Because it makes sense.
    A Time lord scarf teleporting you around doesn't.
    Here's the Description, "Keeps your neck warm through time and space."

5. zefria

zefria Member

What save file? Its every character. I don't think a random save file would help, but sure if they ask. I did verify my game cache, and the problem persists.

While we're talking about it, for some hotkeys you can open and close them with the inventory open (quest, skill), but for the menu, pressing the key will first close the inventory, then open the menu with another press. That might be some unfortunate result of how the UI gets keys and reacts or something, but it's a little strange.

6. Grim Peeper

Grim Peeper Member

The menu key does tend to close every other window until the menu window itself can pop open. I actually like that....if I've got three windows open I can just hit "mmm" instead of q and c and i. Then again, you can accomplish the same thing with the escape key, so...

Free shrugs? Sorry I couldn't be of help.

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

Yes, after I brought the issue up here, I posted it in the bug thread where were informed it was always supposed to, but the effect was just now fixed. I too am baffled by it, but then I've only watched Doctor Who from the David Tennant and Matt Smith eras, so maybe that doctor teleported, I don't know.

It certainly is amusing, but makes it way too dangerous for me to use now.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Even the Forth doctor, which the scarf is based on, doesn't have the ability to teleport randomly.
    That's not even a Weeping Angel power, and they basically have the Flash's (The DC Hero) speed. :)
    The closest would be the Silence, because you forget them being there when you look away. So, yeah.

Random Teleportation in Roguelikes usually has it obvious. Which is why I'm really annoyed by this. It's a great item, and one of the best amulet slot items in the game, and now it's about as useful as being tasered. :)

9. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

You never fixed the issue with the second-to-last big game hunter level. Hunter's Strike and Butcher are mixed up. I don't think you want the damaging proc on death or Butcher on hit.

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Too bad you cannot inscribe "." on the item to prevent random teleportation like in 90% of current generation Roguelikes. :)

11. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If you want to remove it you can go into itemdb.xml inside your expansion folder and remove the <playerHitEffectBuff percentage="10" name="Froda's Jump Discontinuity" /> at the line 847.

I was surprised myself to see it, and I agree it's annoying, though I could see it useful as a "swap in, swap out" item if the player doesn't have access to teleportation.

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The part I do not understand is that David was having this issue even on dodges. Does playerHitEffectBuff apply when you dodge?

13. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

It does and all procs completely ignore dodge, counter and block.

14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Thank you, Daynab, now off to delve deep and greedily into the mines of...wait, this isn't Dwarf Fortress.
    I'll go fix that.

Teleportitis is really annoying after all.
    With a 10% chance, and it being random, I couldn't really see it as a good thing in some cases. What if you get teleported into an area without any way out, and it only triggers on being hit?
    Kind of how like you don't want to drink Spacial Instability potions without another way to teleport.

I can't imagine how bad it would be for someone to lose 10 floors of progress on a going Rogue Permadeath run because the Time Lord Scarf teleported them somewhere where even normal magic can't get them out.

Also, why doesn't the Steel Plate Gorget actually display the fact it gives you -2 :resist_aphyxiative:? Seems really odd that it wouldn't display that when most other items with a resistance penalty do.
    I was unpleasantly surprised by that too.

I can understand that it's so heavy and bulky and spiky, but still, making it obvious, instead of confusing to tell would be nice.

15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Would that proc apply on self damage from spells? If so you could wait until you have mana enough and health enough and spam fireballs (Or whatever else you have.) at nearby walls to attempt teleporting out.

16. zefria

zefria Member

That sounds dumb. Things that effect you "on hit" shouldn't affect you if you dodge or counter, since you were never hit. I imagine this might be hard to patch depending on the code's current structure, but it would be a worthwhile change.

Essence likes this.
  17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I agree. It's very annoying.

18. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Actually, I think that's the way it's supposed to work now. It just doesn't at the moment. Double Zoos is a known issue, but it's nice you're taking the time to point it out.:)

19. coldcandor

coldcandor Member

I always wondered about the double zoos... It's always bizarre when I open one and it says "...of 200 monsters" and there's a blue patch all the way on the other side of the level.

While on the subject of zoos, I'd like to confirm whether it's intentional that you lose the reward if you leave the level. It makes sense to me (chicken! No bloody reward for you!), but could be a bug.

Woah. That's ugly indeed, especially since it's only slightly lower level than the glass neck, which is often much better (depending on the scarf's random stats) and doesn't have that trigger.

While I understand why it's likely this way, it would make a LOT more sense to restrict it to hits and crits against you. Please fix!

20. Glazed

Glazed Member

This is a serious issue, and you're not the first person to raise it. This effect should be removed from the item until GLG programs a way to make sure it doesn't teleport you to an island, or behind a grate, etc. If there's no open path between your starting location and the square it selects to teleport you to, then it should pick a different square. Or, first test all eligible squares for an open path then pick randomly from only those squares that do have one.

The game is supposed to be hard, but one wrong teleport could totally ruin the game. You'd be forced to quit the game without saving (with Alt-F4 or ending the process) and reload your previous save. With auto-saves you'd only lose 5 minutes as long as the auto-save doesn't kick off while your on the island!

It doesn't matter that it doesn't accurately reflect Doctor Who. DoD is a game. It's not a Doctor Who simulator. With that logic you should be complaining that the Indiana Jones hat shouldn't give crit. "His hat didn't make him a better fighter!" Again, it's just a game. GLG is allowed to take liberties with the function of spells and items.

The random teleport is sometimes a feature. If you're surrounded by enemies, you may want to be teleported out of there. Have you considered that maybe the item is designed for mages? Maybe it's not meant to be used by melee characters.

Marak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.