Dredmor 1.0.10 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoingJuffoWup

GoingJuffoWup Member

My old saves are also crashing too :( I hope there is a possible fix for this.

2. zefria

zefria Member

3. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

We're waiting on Valve.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Incidentally we found out links don't work, yet.

5. zefria

zefria Member

I find such a thing to be highly unacceptable on Valve's part. Oh well.

6. Marak

Marak Member

Loving the new patch so far.

Took an existing character through Floors 7, 8, 9, and (most of) 10. Build is Shield Bearer, Master of Arms, Fungal Arts, Burglary, Demonologist, Big Game Hunter, and Berserker Rage.

So basically, he's Mr. Sword and Board.

The changes are very positive thus far. Melee feels far less gimped - I can consistently block Arch Diggle attacks down to nearly nothing, instead of being Crit-Countered into the ground. The fact that most monsters can do more than "charge mindlessly > proceed to melee" makes you think much more often. Any monster that isn't charging right at you is still a threat - and might be a worse threat than whatever is making a beeline for you.

The amount of spells and debuffs that the various baddies can throw at you - especially on the lower Floors - makes the game much more engaging overall, no matter your build. Mages, for instance, are no longer 100% immune to all damage once they "Regen Cap" - this is a good thing.

The new combat order and the ability to block Crits make melee characters - armored ones, at least - far more viable than in previous builds.

The new, automatic Mushroom farming is a godsend - the old method was just maddening after a while. Now you just kill things and remember to look for mushrooms after the dust has settled - it's great. You get more than enough Mushrooms that it's still hard to "spend" them as fast as you get them, especially once you get the Transmute ability to turn the mushroom types you don't use into the type(s) you do.

Nasty new traps are a much needed improvement. I particularly like the new Binding of Isaac inspired "Oh no!" Traps that leave a trail of bombs Firey Runes of Death behind the person/monster who triggered the trap.

I'm finding new loot that I have never seen before - on Floors 9 and 10! I haven't even hit Diggle Gods content yet! Wheeee!

Re-worked Holy Hand Grenades actually do what you'd expect them to (read: blow up zoos real good)! "And the lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and the sloths, and the fruit bats, and the breakfast cereals..."

The Magnetotronic (sp?) armor makes for an interesting choice: do you sacrifice literally all your dodge (and thus, your ability to keep any "wears out after X hits" buffs up) for some really insane armor stats?

New shield options are great as well. The three archetypes make for (again) interesting choices: do you go straight up armor with no reflect or magic defense? Or do you go with medium armor but with good magic defense and a little reflect? Or tons of reflect and some magic D at the cost of Armor?

It's refreshing that most equipment slots no longer have clear "winner" pieces that you always want for builds X and Y no matter what.

Nerfed Corruption rates is much appreciated. Clearing out the Floor 10 Zoo is no longer a strict guarantee that both your weapons and 2-3 other random pieces of gear will be corrupted into worthlessness! Also, I no longer feel the need to have a stockpile of 150 assorted cruddy bolts because - unlike in prior builds - meleeing any Magic Dragon, Magic Golem, Corrupted Ooze, etc. is no longer one of the biggest no-nos you can possibly make.

That's all I got for now. The only negative/bug I've run into so far is that, if you right-click on a Wizard's Sleeve, it gets eaten, belt style. Of course, since it's mainly a joke item, it's no big deal, and will really only affect you if you were planning on crafting a Magical Badass Jacket and mis-click the Sleeve.

Might write another wall of text once I conquer Dredmor (tomorrow hopefully). Until then, I'll be enjoying the heck outta this patch.

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Also, I'd like to know if the additional beta time seems to have paid off after all. So far, I haven't had that terrifying feeling of "Oh God The Patch Exploded" that accompanied builds 1.0.7->1.0.9, so I'm feeling happy. Community thoughts are welcome, though. Was it worth the wait?

8. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

It's really hard to answer that, since I've been messing with the patch since RC 2 or 3. I really haven't noticed a huge difference now that I'm on the new version, except all my saves won't load again. I've been seeing an awful lot of DLs 1-4. But that is a price I pay for wanting to be on the cutting edge. And if people haven't been messing with the patch RCs... are they even coming here to see this thread? How many people who are regular posters didn't take part in the patch testing process?

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Was it worth the wait? Yes. I still lack the proper 1.0.10 build, but my RC9 build already confirmed that it is well worth the time and trouble.

Thank you Nicholas Vining.
    Thank you Daniel Jacobson.
    Thank you David Baumgart.
    Thank you Chris Dykstra.
    Thank you Derek Booner.
    Thank you Matthew Steele.
    Thank you Chris Triolo.
    Thank you Sean Hamilton.
    Thank you Joseph Nejat.
    Thank you Ryan C. Gordon.
    Thank you Chris Whitman.

*Edit* Also thank you Daynab and Deek. I do not know if you are anyone mentioned above, but thank you nonetheless.
    *Edited* again to add Ryan C. Gordon since he was not on the about page yesterday, or I missed him somehow.
    *Edited* again to add Chris Whitman as per Nicholas most recent post.

And thank you to everyone else at GLG that may not be listed in the "About" page.

We love you all and your work brings us endless joy.

Marak, dbaumgart and Grim Peeper like this.
  10. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm waiting for the release notes to show up before I start trying to post feedback. Yeah, I could dig through the RC topic, but I get the feeling that wouldn't show everything.

The new sound system's nice, though I've been getting a bit of stutter.

11. Daynab

They're up on the blog.

12. zefria

zefria Member

The C key doesn't seem to open and close the character menu, though all the other hotkeys work. Is this normal? It's not in the hotkeys list in the menu to change them, so, maybe that's just not a hotkey now? but the button at the bottom reads "Character" like it did before, with emphasis on the C and all.

Also, could the sight radius stat display ever be changed so that it shows the character's actual sight radius and not just their bonus sight radius?

That's all so far.

13. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...Well, Playing for Both Teams doesn't seem to work for me. Unless you're supposed to actually die before you make a new character...

So, is the skill selection screen now scrollable? Because it seems to be implied.

I'd still like you to level up when you hit exactly the amount of EXP displayed in the counter as well, instead of exceeding it, though that's not that high a priority.

14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

As was explained before, changing the way levelups work to trigger on gaining the exact amount needed would require a very complicated patch. It is simply not worth the trouble it would cause. Skill selection was scrollable in the RCs, so I presume it is in the new 1.0.10 too since they are based upon RC9.

Actual sight radius is easy to see and count yourself at any time. Why do you even want that changed?

15. Daynab

It works here? what OS?

That was probably referring to the fact when you had too many skill mods the icons would go off-screen.

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

For simplicity, I made a screenshot of my RC9 build. I have scrolled down twice already and can continue until all the skills are exhausted. (Obviously the reverse works too.)

So yes, skills scroll like they should. You can load up many many mods and enjoy the dilemma of choice. :)

scrollable skills.jpg

17. Grim Peeper

Grim Peeper Member

Yeah, I've been trying through all the RCs and now with 10...can't get it to trigger for me, either.

18. zefria

zefria Member

Well, some things give -1 sight radius and then that isn't shown in your stats because the lowest it'll show is 0. Additionally, the character appears to see 5 squares with Sight 0, then 7 squares with Sight 1, then still 7 squares with Sight 2, then 7 squares with Sight 3. So either that is a bug, or "Visual Sight Radius" isn't changing how far you can see.

I think the question should be: Why would you ever want it to not show your actual sight radius value?

Win7 64

19. Daynab

No idea what's going on then... can anybody else reproduce this problem?

edit: you ARE trying minuscule c, yes? Major C won't work.

20. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...It shouldn't require much more work than taking whatever formula you're using to calculate the required experience, slapping parenthesis around the entire thing, and tacking a -1 on the end. Why would it be complicated? This is a legitimate, non-sarcastic question.

Glad to know skills can scroll now. I'm off to enable the dragon skills in Faxpax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.