Dredmor 1.0.10 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

I think everyone else just grinds up their meats and cheeses. Having several hundred pieces of ground meat and grated cheese makes it a lot less painful when a hungry diggle eats a few.

Marak likes this.
  2. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Except I'd doubt they'd just eat a few. :)
    Seriously, though, why grind them up and click about 45 times to heal any major amount of damage?
    I really don't think they should have ever been added, especially with how buggy they are.

If they can be made less annoying, then they'd be fine, but I'm sorry, but I should not be able to lose more food to a few Hungry Diggles who stole it on a dodge, then I have had lost by playing through 15 entire floors.
    And they have.
    Just because they don't do insane damage per hit doesn't mean they're not broken overpowered. I'm not sure why some people do hate me for saying that, but it is true. Anything that permanently destroys food is a bad idea, and Angband did it better. Learn from Angband. :)

Me editing out their buggy ability in every update does not solve the problem they bring. Do we need to make a petition to get Gaslamp Games to look at it? I really don't see how else to go about this.
    I know they read this forum, but not often enough, I feel.

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Ranged abilities and teleport abilities. Even if you play a melee character (I even dare to say "especially if you play a melee character"), you should have at least one of each.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Since this is a turn based game I always carefully examine all enemies I can see and determine which are the greatest threat. I will nuke them at range if possible, and if that fails or is not possible due to resources I will try to keep something less problematic in between myself and the problems while I flee to scrounge mana and other resources.

I have only taken Alchemy a few times. Promethean Magic fixes Hungry/Thirsty Diggles quickly though. :)

If commenting them out will make you happy, but you hate the work, I volunteer to do it for you every last time there is an update from now until the end of time or my life. :)

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

It's not that it's hard. I can do that in like 5 seconds. :)

They're broken, they are stealing twice as much food as they should, 6 on average from me, any food source lower, they kill immediately.
    They take 4 or so shots to kill in ranged, vs. 1 in melee.
    That's doing around 23 a hit in ranged on Elvish Easy to them. I hit for over 100 damage on average in melee.
    The sheer fact that they can bypass any resistance you can muster against their item stealing ability makes them broken, and in need of fixing.
    Just like any enemy activating an ability on a dodge, even though they should not be able to at all.

I use arrows in this game to deal with certain enemies, including Hungry diggles, but it doesn't matter, sometimes they still get through all the arrow spam and hit me and steal my food, even if I dodge/counter/whatever.

They are bugged. They need to be fixed because of that dodge steal ability.
    I don't know what I have to do here. Does Gaslamp Games really need me to give them $100 to make sure this gets fixed?

Am I so annoying, That I can't be taken seriously about this? What do I need to do to prove to the people here how serious I am about this? I will do anything to get it to be fixed.
    I know! I'll get Samuel L. Jackson to talk to you guys about this! "I have had it with these *censored* hungry diggles in this *censored* dungeon. :)
    No, really, I will actually get him to say that.

6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Relax David. I am certain this was unintended. We discussed them in the RC thread a while back and I thought Nicholas had agreed to limit them. Some errors always slip through though. We know it is upsetting, but I promise you that no-one did this to mess with you.

Do you have a save you can attach nearby the Hungry/Thirsty bastard Diggles that do this? I doubt it will make any difference, but there may be something odd going on beyond the facts that are obvious.

One of the reasons I mentioned Promethean Magic is that with enough :magic_power: the Summon Wrymling spell is zero cost. So you can summon one to distract any enemy for a turn or two while you wait for mana or throw/fire/cast or even just walk in to melee them to death. I promise I never intended to upset you or insult you.

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I know you don't.
    And I know they wouldn't do it to spite me. I think. :)
    I just don't know what's up with this craziness.
    I don't have a save nearby them, no.

YARGGH! Blobs of Corruption are totally wrecking my day because of that insane dodge bug where everything and it's brother and it's uncle hit you with an ability on a dodge.
    Come on, Gaslamp, this is kind of silly.
    I had them corrupt my gear 3 times in a row, without fail, on a dodge.
    It's like their chance to corrupt reaches 90% on a dodge. :(
    Thankfully, the corruptions weren't too annoying.

This is an issue that should be fixed. I'm sure Omni and Kazeto will agree that this bug needs to be fixed.
    I really don't understand what is causing this.
    But Dodge and Counter should not be useless against Blobs of Corruption.
    Ergh, Level 10 is going to hellishly hard to get through and Arch-Diggles only do 16 damage on a critical hit.

8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Cleaned up the dodge/onHit buff.

coldcandor and Marak like this.
  9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Thank you! Thank you so much.
    Also, sorry for going insane over it.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I don't know if it's just me, but since the latest patch the game seems to stutter a bit. Auto-saving is the worst culprit for it, but it just seems to have a hiccup every so often. Not sure what the cause would be or even how to find out.

11. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Yeah but the game has always stutters a bit. It used to be every time you entered a shop the music changed caused a stutter.

12. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

The autosave is definitely a lot more frequent than I'd like. It's set for five minutes, but that's 3 to 6 times as often as it actually needs to happen. If it were set for 15, 20, or even 30 minute intervals it would still be useful, but not nearly as annoying.

Autosaving takes a long time on my machine (even without mods), and gets significantly worse the further down I get into the dungeon.

Marak likes this.
  13. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

No they are not bugged. What they are is not fair. This is a roguelike: nothing in it is fair.

14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

https://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/93c178c839a2911a

Commercial games want you to win.
    NetHack doesn't care if you win or lose.
    Slash'em wants you DEAD.

Commercial games cheat for you and against the monsters:

The unarmed orc falls to the ground, dying. "Whirling
    Blades of Doom... backpack", he gasps. "Barbecue
    sauce... left pocket."

NetHack plays fair between you and the monsters:

The orc wins the race to the Whirling Blades of Doom.
    He seizes it, grins, and whirls it at you. You fall
    to the ground, dying. Your last sight is of the
    orc reaching for his left pocket.

Slash'em cheats against you and for the monsters:

Staggering and more than half dead, you advance to
    the slain monster. If you can use the Whirling
    Blades of Doom against the rest of the pack, you
    just might live through this.
    ...There is no weapon at the corpse. The Whirling
    Blades of Doom are an intrinsic attack, not a
    separate weapon.
    The next platypus in line opens its bill. This one
    is a fire breather. Thoroughly barbecued, you fall
    to the ground, dying. When you hit the ground,
    something breaks in your left pocket.

Thus DoD is more like Nethack than a typical Roguelike.

These dodge effects are bugs. They make the game more like Slash'Em. But that was not intentional.

15. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

You misunderstand me. They are bugged. Because they eat your food on a dodge. This is a bug.
    They would be balanced if they didn't cheat by being buggy.

Roguelikes are also balanced even if they are brutally hard at times.
    Fair != balanced.
    I know Roguelikes are supposed to be hard. I've been playing them since before 1995.
    I really don't get the problem here to be honest.

Just because something is hard doesn't mean it can't be balanced. :)
    I'm not trying to arraign the Hague Warcrimes Tribunal just because Hungry Diggles are bugged, and possibly need a slight nerf.

16. FaxCelestis

Yes, but you won't shut up about them. Every time you run into a little speedbump, OMG IT R BUGD and you have to go comment it out.

17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I'm shocked you're so mad at me.
    I can't help the fact I freak out sometimes over sometimes simple things.
    I have Asperger's and occasionally have freak outs of things that bother me.
    It's part of how I am. I can only attempt to cool down when I have those freakouts. It's not something I can fix right off the bat, or even with perfect amounts of medication. That's why I have my signature the way it is. I'm trying to explain in advance that I'm not a horrible person.

I'm truly sorry for the problems I caused in this thread, this forum, and possibly the entire internet as a whole. :(
    And other than Hungry Diggles, I haven't really edited anything in the game files.
    Also, even when the dodging bug is fixed, I'll just put my food on the floor and make sure I have a nice stockpile of that fairy healing mushroom.

I really don't mean to be so annoying, I really don't. And I never expected you of all people to go after me. :( I respected you. You're the one person who really inspired me to make that funny text change mod I want to make someday.

18. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Hey... relax (both of you.)
    We're all cool here.
    Everybody inevitably gets on the nerves of everybody, tis part of life (and the internet). I bet I get on the nerves of a ton of people.
    As long as we can hang out without throwing insults or thinly veiled threats around we're all good.

Carry on. (and by this I mean carry on with the 1.0.10 feedback)

19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Maybe, but you can also ban them, so why would they complain? :)
    I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

And yes, I do have wallsoftextitis, it's a horrible disease, and in need of a cure. Give me money to support the cure.
    Also, I need my eyes checked, Omni,I just noticed your name is OmniNegro, not OmniNecro. :eek:

I just will try my best to not freak out anymore. And I hope Fax doesn't want my head.

Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  20. FaxCelestis

I don't want your head. I just want you to take a step back and really look at what you're complaining about before you do so. Hungry and Thristy Diggles are terrible dungeon-dwelling monsters. Monsters kill things. These particular monsters kill things by making it difficult for you to heal or regen mana. Aside from onhits triggering on a successful dodge, you seem to be the only one with a problem with them as they are. Shouldn't that tell you something?

coldcandor, Kazeto and r_b_bergstrom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.