Dragon Knight [1.09]

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by mamga, Dec 31, 2011.

1. mamga

mamga Member

Ever wanted to be a dragon? Well now you can with the fabulous Dragon Knight skill tree! Unleash fearsome attacks and let loose your inner dragon.

Skill Tree : Dragon Knight - [​IMG]

The Dragon Knight tree is a warrior skill tree to turn your hero into a dragonlike warrior of legend. It contains defensive and offensive boosts along with a teleportation skill and a transformation ultimate. Mainly useful for fire damage/resist and utility.

1 : Chomp - [​IMG] - Restore hp and damage enemies! Your attacks have a 25 % chance to inflict a life draining chomp on an enemy unit dealing slashing damage. Doesn't work on undead or constructs.

2 : Dragon Blood - [​IMG] - Your blood provides you extra defensive capabilities.
    +2 armor and hp regen.

3 : Dragon Rage - [​IMG] - You can't help but strike violently and viciously at all those you love. Your have a 75 % chance to enter a rage upon attacking or being attacked, gaining one conflagratory damage and 3 magic resistance to a maximum of 6 stacks.

4 : Fiery Flight - [​IMG] - A teleportation spell with a burning consequence. Teleports you to the target location and surrounds you with a wreath of flames.

5 : Tail Slam - [​IMG] - Enemies got you down? Tail slam punishes attackers with a devastating ability! 25 % chance to retaliate against enemies with a quick slam from your tail. Deals crushing damage and knocks back.

6 : Become The Dragon - [​IMG] - Turn into an avatar of destruction and lay waste to all you travel upon! Become a Dragon and gain some helpful boosts to health, fire resist , fire damage, magic resist and armor. You also leave a flame path where you go and occasionally surround yourself with explosions.

Installation :
    Place the zip file in your dungeons of dredmor mod folder. No need to extract it.

Known Bugs :
    Explosive Breath isn't working and was removed.
    Sound effects for the skill tree don't work.
    Various polymorph related bugs

Any critiques and/or issues are welcomed, This is my first mod and i have plans for expanding and rebalancing it. Older versions available on request.

Changelog
    1.0 Initial Release
    1.0a Fixed capitalization issue on icons for Chomp.
    1.1 Rebalanced several skills, Fixed several bugs : Added Dragon Blood, Dragon Rage : removed Dragon Skin
    1.1a Uploaded correct version.
    1.2 Made some tweaks to the skill tree.
    1.2a fixed bug where firefly was resistable
    1.2b found a much cleaner solution than 1.2a
    1.2c 1.2b made firefly irresistible, but didn't actually undo the workaround for 1.2b

Attached Files:

OmniNegro and Razarus like this.
  2. Officefanguy

Officefanguy Member

Whee! I loves me some dragons; looking forward to trying it.

3. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Make sure that the capitalization on your chomp icons (and in the xml) are right. It seems I'm having problems with it on windows 7, but not sure exactly whether it'd affect everyone.

also wreath of fire doesn't properly specify the template id (it uses id instead of templateID), and so it picks a random template each time you cast it.

4. mamga

mamga Member

Double checked and you are correct. The icons for chomp are in upper case and the xml refers to lowercase. Vista didn't seem to care but seeing as it is an issue for windows 7, I have changed it. The new version is hosted in the OP.

5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

And seeing how dragon form works I can't help but ask if this is in any way inspired by a champion in LoL.

Officefanguy likes this.
  6. lightmartyr

lightmartyr Member

One recommendation, change "Become the Dragon" to "Enter the Dragon" after the 1973 Bruce Lee film.

7. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Scaled skin icon in the skill tome isn't working properly; all I'm getting is a grey box. Either that, or there isn't one.

8. How much fire resist are we talking here? Would this + Promethian magic basically mean fire immunity?

9. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Build 1.1 is seriously borked: skills are out of order (with become the dragon being the first), skills 3 and 4 in the tree are missing.

This sounds like it could be a really fun mod, but please do fix.

10. mamga

mamga Member

Oops, i was too busy formatting icons into the original post. I accidentally uploaded the testing build. Fixing right now.

edit: correct build up.

11. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Hmm, a quick question: may I ask why the shift away from passive stats on the skills? I understand they weren't working, but I think Essence's essential DoD skills has managed to get some of them in line. And some of the stats looked quite useful--for example, the bonus two HP regen on the second level skill in the 1.0a build.

12. mamga

mamga Member

It's mostly due to the passive stats not working bug. The hotfix isn't quite out yet so I'm using the new skill for now. I may go back to the old second skill because hp gain on hit is just a little odd for this skill tree. It seems like damage prevention but it isn't really. It just saves the health loss for a later time when the buff wears off. And it doesn't fall exactly in line with a sort of dragony flavor. It feels a bit more dark because this skill can actually kill you. Dragon rage will probably stay though. Though proc percentages may change.

13. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

The hotfix isn't out yet? I've had it for days. I got it off of Desura. :)

Also,

Go spellcheck! :D

14. mamga

mamga Member

Not for steam unfortunately. And you saw nothing.

ChristmasAsen likes this.
  15. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Well, it should be out soon. Hopefully that'll open up new possibilities.

I've tested it out a bit by playing a pure melee character (no throwing, no crossbows), which is what this tree seems to be aimed at supplanting. Chomp seems to be a little underwhelming--while I recognise that it isn't supposed to be as powerful as vampirism, it didn't seem to make that much of a difference compared to some of the other first-level skills such as the astrology buff or viking magic steel. Proc percentage could be increased slightly, or we could get a couple of stats to compensate once the hotfix goes live, in much the same way as burglary vending machine stealing gets a few points.

I agree with you with nixing dragon blood--I'd like to see the old +regen skill back sometime. I haven't gone very deep yet, but I do remember having around the lines of 170+ health on one of my warrior characters at dungeon level 14, making 8 health a bit pointless in comparison. The skill is dangerous to use at lower levels (and rather uncontrollable too, no one likes dying to a random proc that one couldn't control ala transdimensional dodge), and filler at higher ones where 8 health isn't really much.

Fiery Flight is excellent for closing the distance, especially in monster zoos--currently, the only teleportation abilities melee characters can get in the base game are knightly leap (short distance) or move in mysterious ways (long cooldown) as compared to invisible geometries for wizards (no mana, infinite range, 3 turn cooldown). The AoE is okay, especially in clustered zoos; introducing some passive fire resist back into the mix would be nice but I'm not going to sweat it.

I'm not sure if you already know this, but the burn status is getting a nerf from 5% of monster health per tick to 1% in the next patch, so rebalancing might be needed.

I really do like the idea behind this mod skill and hopefully would like to see it extended to a full 8-skill tree. Some magic resistance and/or reflect (when the latter stat is fully implemented) to provide some protection if and when closing in the distance to casters on foot would be nice, or maybe a usable attack as opposed to just procs.

16. Aristobulus

Aristobulus Member

This is a really cool theme for a class, a suggestion, perhaps a skill based around dragon scales that adds crushing/slashing/piercing resist? To represent how a dragon would have really hard scales. Maybe also a buff to unarmed combat to represent a dragons claws/talons? Just throwing ideas out there.

17. blazer8

blazer8 Member

Shorten Become the Dragon to BeDragon.

I always figured Dragon Blood as being extremely hot. Have it provide Conflag damage when hit.

18. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Did some testing on Become the Dragon after the new patch, with the same character. The fire trail you leave behind looks nice, but isn't that great. The burn status nerf really hurts, and with the low magic power most warriors have making the fire field damage and duration and burn status duration low, as well as the tendency of warriors to stand in one spot and funnel monsters towards them--it's more of an icing on the cake now than the cake itself, in my opinion.

As before, my current suggestions for additions to the tree are:

-Some fire and magic resist.
    -A usable attack with a cooldown.
    -Skills that pump up your dragon form's stats and/or abilities, ala werediggle.

Of course, all this is just my opinion.

19. Aristobulus

Aristobulus Member

I THINK the flames you leave behind in dragon form actually hurt YOU - and worse, I think they hurt you the turn they form, and they always form under you as you move so you can't not get hurt by your own flames. This might want to be looked at.

20. mamga

mamga Member

Alright, i did some tweaking. And 1.2 is now available.

Changelog :
    Dragon Blood changed to provide +2 armor and +2 hp regen.
    Skill tree now provides 1 conflagratory resist for each level.
    Conflagratory resist for Dragon Rage removed and replaced with magic resist.
    Dragon Rage duration increased.
    Weak Dragon's Breath removed.
    Fiery Flight deals more damage.
    Chomp and Dragon Tail scales better into the late game.
    Become the Dragon gives substantially stronger bonuses.
    Firefly now has a chance to trigger wreath of explosions instead of rune of exploding.
    Fixed sprite issue with Toxic Paint Cloud.
    Chance for procs to trigger increased.
    All dragon rage procs are in the dragon rage skill.