Don't do it- Don't keep this up

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benetar, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Lokloklok

Lokloklok Member

You obviously didn't love the game that much if this ruined it for ya.

2. I agree with the original poster. My time is valuable. And with no notice I just lost 5+ hours because of the auto-update.

Now when I tell people about this game I have to tell them "It's a fun game and it's actually difficult! But sometimes they patch the game and you lose all your progress."

Delay the patch guys, and make it compatible. Come on. Seriously bad judgement call.

3. Lokloklok

Lokloklok Member

They told you guys it would happen. They fixed all my CTD's and they fixed alot of others peoples CTD. If you got a CTD while at the same point as you lost the save you would be just as pissed.

4. Remliel

Remliel Member

Sometimes bad design decisions are made. As a coder I have had situations like this before. It's much better that they break them NOW so they can make savefiles not break in the future, than wait months to make any real progress because of the conversion issues (and lose much more). Yes, I lost some characters of my own, but it's a short-term setback for a long term gain.

It's inconvenient, to be sure, but my recommendations is if you are angry, just walk away for a bit, relax, and come back later. The game will still be there for you (and maybe even more patched to add more new content without breaking saves!).

As much as one might wish this wouldn't happen, I really believe this is for the best in the long run.

5. psh

psh Member

I love the people saying "i lost x hours of work!" as if playing the game is some kind of arduous chore.

6. kbe

kbe Member

Who said work? I see people complaining about lost time.

7. Leaf

Leaf Member

I'm sure you're losing plenty of time complaining too. Yeah it sucks but I press on. I lost hours of gameplay numerous times on New Vegas and they still never really fixed the problems until after I had beaten the game. Shit happens.

8. psh

psh Member

Well that changes everything

9. Serith

Serith Member

@Remliel
    A man after my own heart.
    Pretty much what I had said in another thread, only worded much better then how I did.

10. srulz

srulz Member

People, please.

Just walk off the games for now if you want, I'm confident future content updates will lure you back anyway :)

11. I understand that a lot of us have real-world worries to attend to in life, but to use 'time is valuable' as an excuse is a little bit silly. @Lokloklok, I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but if time was valuable in the first place, then you shouldn't and wouldn't have been playing DoD for those 5+ hours. The hours could've been used for other, more important things.

12. They could have fixed the CTD's, major crash bugs, and made it save compatible.

All they had to do was not include the other 30+ fixes, instead they should have taken the time invested on non-critical bugs to make saves compatible.

That would make everyone happy.

13. Sepioth

Sepioth Member

One of the biggest problems with any game is you can never test a game enough in beta. Once the public gets a hold if it and starts to in stall it on thousands of differently configured computers with parts from various vendors with drivers in all sorts of versions and various versions of an OS with hundreds of various patches you run into thousands and thousands of PC configurations. Games are much bigger now than they where 10 years ago. More lines of code can lead to more and more bugs.

One of the downsides to Indies over major production games is money and people. Big companies have in house test studios that test games on various configurations of PC's and even then they inevitably have issues.

Indie developers don't typically have the luxury of either money or people. And they surely don't have an in house testing studio with the same capacity as a bigger company. They usually have to rely on US the public to make their games better.

I have yet to test the new patch and hopefully my save is safe. I turned off permadeath for it to get a little into the game and see what it really has to offer. Got tired of not making it off the first floor :)

But to cry you lost your save in a rougelike game designed using the typical permadeath feature found in any rougelike game is quite honestly pathetic really.

If the side affect to fixing game breaking bugs and adding new feature is a save game loss then I'm OK with that. They warned us it might happen. I have already backed up my save in hopes they find a fix to get old saves working again. You should have done the same.

14. I work an 8 hour day job and I'm financially invested in a small game studio. I am busy as (!@(!@! hell all day, because like any adult I have errands to run and people to deal with.

I find this awesome game on Steam, and I'm able to get 2 hours in before bed, my only "downtime" of the day, so finally I manage to get somewhere

And this.

15. Embolus

Embolus Member

Assuming it is indeed possible to make saves compatible. I've seen games that, after maybe a dozen patches, each and every one still invalidates saves.

And you know, if you have so little time to play the game, surely you haven't sunk that much time into it? So you didn't lose much now, did you?

(And all this talk of "losing time" is nonsense anyway. The game is fun while you're playing it, losing your save doesn't change the fact you HAD FUN playing it.)

16. Incendax

Incendax Member

I think it sucks that so many people lost progress, but isn't that your own fault for trying to make progress when you were told ahead of time that the progress would be lost?

17. Leaf

Leaf Member

For a roguelike indiegame that cost less than what i payed for lunch today, people are so serious. Gaming is serious business. This loss is about the equivalent of me losing my high score in Bejeweled, yeah it took hours but that doesnt stop me from playing it.

But as customers you have the right to whine and take offense to whatever you wish. If it bothers you that much like I said, step away and come back later. You can even email your displeasure to Gaslamp. They will even respond to you apologizing for the inconvienence (so mispelled that) with no automated response that most big companies use.

18. They are a small development team, you can be a jerk and whinge about it but it's just a game at the end of the day.

I would rather support them.

19. Karvan

Karvan Member

Sorry, but what's this about an advance warning that the patch will probably break saves? A tweet made only three hours ago? Oh of course, I should always check the Twitter pages of the developers of the games I play right before I start them up.

If anything people getting so riled up about losing their saves is a testament to just how engrossing the game is. And the people who lost their saves through no fault of their own are being criticised for this?

20. Hyperwolf

Hyperwolf Member

Benetar ... is all fired up. Can't believe I got in first with that one.

But yeh, the game came to us at a steal. Half the fun is in trying new character builds, and if it needs work I don't care. So do half the AAA titles I spend 10x the $ on. I was a nethack and angband player way back and to see a new title like this come out now brings tears to an old gamers eyes. Keep it up Gas Lamp.

PS - Maybe you could add 'trolls' to the dungeon, or perhaps they are there and I haven't delved deep enough yet. If they aren't, naming one of them Pat at this junction seems appropriate.