Does the Portable Still have a lower chance to spawn?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Wootah, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Wootah

Wootah Member

I am playing GRPD-NTTG with random skills.
    I got rogue scientist which gives me tinkering and alchemy abilities.

I love the tree and the design is beautiful, But to use the the abilities I needed the kit. I found a tinkering kit right away (3rd Floor). I found the alchemy kit much later (4th Floor). I finally found a shredder (7th Floor), after hours of gameplay and most of floor 8 cleared I have YET to find a portable still. This is very problematic because I would love to distill better alcohol and have the skill, but since the game wasn't kind enough to give me a mana regen tree I have been counting on it to show up. No luck yet. This is after having found 6 smithing anvils, 5 tinkering kits, 4 alchemy labs, and 1 lathe and 1 shredder. Not to mention using every single room of demands to make a crafting machine, all of which have not had a still, it is kind of frustrating and make me wonder if I got lucky on the shredder as well.

Maybe it is my fault for using No-time to grind, but when you are doing Random Perma Death going rogue, the additional 1+ hour per 2 floors makes it all the worse when you die.

As an aside, it would be cool if a tinker had level 1 recipes to build all the other crafting tools from other tools and maybe some raw materials.

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The chance to spawn is based on the simple number of items in the game. Counting mods and such. Anything that can spawn is part of the number that it picks from for each item it places.

Nothing complex about it at all.

3. Giygas

Giygas Member

When you see a rune lever room, spawn a crafting vending machine. The crafting machines can contain them.

4. Wootah

Wootah Member

Giygas, I have only had 2 thus far, and both rooms I made the crafting machine. I think I got my first alchemy kit this way. No still though.

And Omni, I have no mods other than YHTNTE and RotDG installed.

The theme is that there are tons of mining themed rooms that often come with an anvil. There are tinkering themed rooms with tinkering. There are smelting themed rooms that come with the press (I can't believe how many of these I find). Which is partly why I asked. Sure if I had a chance of any item in the game spawning, yeah the rate would be insanely low, but what about in the alchemy themed rooms, is there a chance for a still instead of the alchemy kit?

I did find what mind have been a still themed room (more of a hallway compared to the other themed rooms). It had a big dwarven still decoration and a bunch of alcohol, but it didn't have the tool.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Usually I find them in the distillery classrooms only. That and occasionally just on the floor anywhere.

6. According to Fax, the crafting rooms have an equal chance to spawn any of the craft kits. Same with the Craft Vending Machine. I didn't find an n-Dimensional Lathe until DL 7, but have 11 of those tinker kits. RNG generates those kind of results, at times.

NTTG just exacerbates those possibilities.