DoD Steam Cards

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by TheKirkUnited, Jul 21, 2013.

1. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I desire them all. I've an extra Incoseqentia card so that's up for trade. Steam handle is TheKirkUnited.

As good a place as any for folks to trade their stuff. Post the things you want and the things you have on offer and a steam handle. With any luck we can get DoD backgrounds and such for everybody.

2. Pyrotanis

Pyrotanis Member

If you're in it just for the backgrounds, this site has all of them from every game with cards excluding some of the newest game to implement the cards. Many of them are beautiful (I'm talking to you, dredmor artist, you talented bastard), and it's my main resource for video game backgrounds.
    If you're in it for the badge, I wish you luck.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Yeah, was hoping for a badge, but I'm not huge on steam trading so we'll see.

4. Wootah

Wootah Member

Can you guys explain how card trading works. I don't have a clue, but if it isn't too much effort, I would be interested. I think I have 3 cards from playing the game.

5. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Could someone also explain what gets you cards. After they first showed up, I found I had gotten 3 from 1 days of play but since then I haven't gotten a single one.

6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

1. You get cards randomly, but fairly frequently, from playing games that have cards, but you only get up to a certain maximum number in this way. Since it's random, you usually can get the maximum in only a few hours, but sometimes longer.
    2. Once you've reached the maximum number for a game, You get cards randomly but really rarely from those games, whether you play or not. I've gotten cards like that only 2 times total since DoD first had cards.
    3. You get special cards from some special events (such as the Winter sale). Sometimes you have to do special things to get those cards, such as vote for the game to be part of the next sale or spend money. These are different from the game cards, but they can have the name of some game on them.

I don't know exactly how the special cards work, but the game cards work kind of like this: Every time you collect a full set, you have the option to combine them all to create something. Sometimes you'll get an emote or something similar,, and usually a badge.

You trade cards the same essential way as you trade games and coupons on steam -- you need t be friends with the person you are trading with then you initiate the trade while both of you are on-line (I'm using chat with the other person I want to to trade with), drag items to your trade box, and when both boxes are satsifactory, you both click to accept the trade.

Note that there is also a card market for cash, but generally you'll only get couple of cents maximum for a card.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  7. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Most cards go for about 15-20 cents, and you'll lose about 3-5 cents on that for Valve's commission.
    You could conceivably sell all the cards you get from games you don't care about too much, and use the money to buy the missing cards for the games you do care for. It's how I got the level 5 DoD badge, I think I even made a dollar profit, too.

Some people consider just buying the cards not really in the spirit of trading cards, but by selling the ones you don't want and using the money to buy the ones you do, you're just cutting out the horrible system to trade for them in the first place. That's how I look at it, at least.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I don't think Haldurson got it quite right. The number of drops you have per game depends on how many cards it has. If it's an even number (e.g. 6 cards in the series), you get N/2 - if odd, it's (N+1)/2 (e.g. 5 cards gives 3 drops). These are given when you play the game at random intervals. If a game has fewer cards, chances are you'll get them quite quickly, but if it's a game like McPixel which is very short but has a lot of cards, you're best leaving it running.

After that, the only way to get cards *by playing* is to hope for a booster pack. These drop randomly based on your Steam level - every 10 levels gets you an extra 20%. So Level 10 is a 20% greater chance, 20 is 40% and so on. You have to log in each week to stay eligible (IIRC), so you don't get any if you don't log in that week, and logging in once a week isn't a guarantee you'll get them. But to be eligible for a Booster Pack you need to have exhausted your 'free' drops and to have crafted a badge for it (i.e. get the full set once and hit 'craft' on the badges page). Booster packs contain three cards (I believe) and generally go for a little more than the average cost of three cards, due to their random nature and chances of foil cards.

Crafting gets you three more items. You get an emoticon (for use in chat), you get a background (for your profile) and you get a coupon for a game (example being my 75% off Two Worlds II coupon). Most emoticons are worth about the same as a card, backgrounds are (in all but a few cases) worthless, and coupons are random so their usefulness is limited. On top of these, you also get 100XP per badge you craft, which goes towards your Steam level.

Side notes:
    - F2P games (DotA2, for example) w/ trading cards require you to spend about $9 minimum before unlocking the drops. Each $9 you spend unlocks a drop. Lovely and fair, no? (No)
    - Foil cards count towards a foil set, they cannot be used for 'standard' badge crafting. If you get a foil card, SELL IT. They're usually worth a couple of dollars minimum, which will easily pay for some DLC or something.
    - If you want full sets, it's basically mandatory that you put money into the system. You might make it back by selling cards you don't want, getting foils, etc.
    - Cards have artwork that is unlocked when you earn that card. If you sell that card before crafting, you lose access to that artwork, but if you craft the badge, you retain permanent access to the artwork. These artworks are generally of a high resolution and quality, and can be saved to your HDD.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    Turbo164 and Gorbax like this.
  9. Wootah

Wootah Member

Wow, Loerwyn that is actually very helpful.
    So lets say I want to earn coupons.

To do that, I need to craft badges.
    The best way to craft badges is to get cards.
    I can get cards by
    A) Trading
    B) Spending Money
    C) Opening Boosters

Here is what I am a little foggy on.
    -After earning a badge, can I earn boosters from playing any steam game, or only the game I have a badge for?
    -Is there incentive to earn more than one badge for a game other than experience?

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Yes, you need to craft badges if you want coupons.

Let's say you had three games, each with three card drops (and let's say they have 6 cards per game for a full set), but you only wanted to complete one. What you could do is exhaust the card drops for that game, but oh no, you have a duplicate! You could sell or trade it for one you want. The same goes with those from the other sets. But unless you're going to play every game and be very specific about which badges you want, you're going to have to put money into the system to buy the cards.

I think boosters come from playing any game, but I could be wrong and I don't want to say "Yes" or "No". They might well be locked to each game (e.g. to get a Civ V booster you'd need to play CIv V), but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

And for the last question - yes. More coupons, backgrounds and emoticons. More badges you craft, more likely you are to get a rare emoticon (some of which can sell for a pretty penny).

11. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

This message can appear on any badge you're trying to make. So you can be eligible for one booster pack but not the other.
    I only ever got 1 booster pack and it was for Dungeons of Dredmor (after I already crafted the level 5 badge, of course), and considering that was about the only game I had played for a while at that time, I can't say if it was coincidental or correlated. However, I think it's more unrelated, here's why:

Steam says that people get booster packs randomly if enough members of the community craft badges (i.e. remove cards from a specific game out of existence). It makes sense that they'd want to top up the amount of cards in circulation for that game, not a random game. But because we, the users, have no real way of knowing what games are producing a lot of badges or when the "cut-off" for the booster pack give-away starts, it seems random to us.

In short, if you want booster packs for a game, it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you're eligible for it. Then you can only wait until other players craft enough cards away and push the amount of cards in circulation below the cut-off. Then you have to be one of the lucky ones.

12. Wootah

Wootah Member

Interesting.
    So when I get a booster, it will ONLY be for DoD? I can't get any TF2 cards out of it?
    Also, I sold my DLC quest cards last night, figuring, I would never play it again and wouldn't want boosters from it. I now have something like $0.57.

If you still have that inconsequentia, TheKirkUnited, I would like it. Then I can buy the last two.

13. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

You don't "just" get a booster pack, all games have different booster packs. So if you get a DoD booster pack, only DoD cards will be in it :)

Kinda like buying Pokémon card packets. You won't find any Yu-gi-oh cards in there. And you're not just buying a packet with a big "?" on it and hoping for Pokémon, either :p

14. Wootah

Wootah Member

So can I earn boosters for a game without the badge?
    I crafted a badge and got a coupon for 90% of Serious Sam 3. Expires Oct 22.
    Anybody want it?

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

No, you can only earn boosters for a game *once you have created a badge for it*, and I believe you will also have to exhaust your drops for that game beforehand, too.

16. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Yep. Together with having logged in within one week, those are all the requirements to be eligible for a booster pack.

17. Wootah

Wootah Member

So if I create a badge for a game I don't own, I get nothing out of it?
    I created the steam summer sale one to get to level 10, but it has no game associated with it.

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

You can't create badges for games you don't own. You can buy the cards, but you can't craft the badge.

19. Wootah

Wootah Member

Excellent. Well that pretty much sums up my questions, thank you. Now to get the level 1 dredmor badge.

20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Not true, at least according to the documentation in Steam. If you click on 'how do I earn more cards', the only requirement for receiving a booster pack is that you've exhausted all your drops. I realize, of course, that the documentation could be wrong. But I'm pretty certain that I've received a booster pack for Civ 5 and I have never crafted a badge for it.