DoD Modding and Mod Installation Guide (Updated 6/5/2012)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Daynab, Dec 1, 2011.

1. AvzinElkein

AvzinElkein Member

Do you use them like crossbows, or...?

2. shokking

shokking Member

I do, yes. They use bolts as well - I didn't fancy the idea of making my first mod attempt adding an entire new weapon type and ammo set for it - I'd have no idea how to do that anyway.

If there's a newbie-friendly way of doing that though, I wouldn't mind knowing.

3. Is it possible to edit savefiles, or open up console commands, or enter cheat codes, to make it easier to test mods? Starting from level 1 every time you want to playtest something gets a tiny bit tedious (though only a tiny bit, I enjoy the game after all)

4. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah. If you right-click the game in Steam, go to properties, set launch options: enter -debug-flag , then start the game and look in the keybindings.

5. gossip5

gossip5 Member

Does anyone know how to make the mods stay permanently activated as you start up DoD? It's annoying as heck to activate all 5 of my favorite mods.

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

No, not yet. I'll poke them with a stick when they're working on the next patch so that they include this.

Ganymede likes this.
  7. Is this the right place for technical modding questions? Like: Is it possible to have the cost on spells be an item from the player's inventory? If not, where should I direct this inquiry? If so, how does one go about doing this?

8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Costing spells with an item is a tricky business, because you can't target both an item and anything else with the same spell. So basically the only spell effects that you can manage with ConsumeItem spells are <effect type="spawn">, self-buffs, and AoE (type="template") effects that are omnidirectional. There may be others I'm forgetting, but the point is you can't have a spell that does something like target a monster for a nuke and also consume an item. The best you could do is have a spell that consumes an item and creates a different item that, when used, creates said nuke.

9. That... sounds like it could be amusingly difficult both to code and to use as a player.

I'm now imagining a spell that, when used, creates magic potatoes on the ground in an AoE as well as slaps a debuff on you. The potatoes, when used, fire off long line-shaped nukes and deposit a plastic pocketwatch at the end of the line. Eight pocketwatches can be crafted (via several crafting steps) into an item that removes the debuff created by the original spell!

10. Poke them again and harder. Tell them the 3rd time you poke them, the stick will be sharp. 4th, barbed... 5th, barbed, poisoned (lightly) and at least 12 handed out to random forum members who are itching to get in on the poking sessions (me).

It is VERY annoying to have to reselect the mod every game start and I've only installed one mod, Interior Dreadmorating (thanks Rolfe)!

11. riloh

riloh Member

Anyone have any idea if you can edit how "sacrificeartifact" functions? I'm trying to use the ability to sacrifice artifacts in a new skill tree, but I'm wondering if it's possible to edit the confirmation dialogue box, and also to edit the benefits you reap directly from the sacrifice.

The "sacrificeartifact" effect doesn't appear to exist in any of the easily editable .xml files, so I'm wondering if it's not moddable currently.

12. Daynab

Rejoice, for it was said it would be included :)

13. :rejoicing: :) But also a Sad Panda... pointy sticks are fun. ;)

14. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

You can't: it's a defined function inside the game's mechanics.

15. ololo666

ololo666 Member

How can I change the default location of mods folder? Mine looks something like "...\Мои документы\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\mods" and I think the cyrillic part is why the mod launcher is failing to find any mods atm.

16. Daynab

Sadly, that's a bug, because you have non-english characters. It's on the TODO list somewhere...

17. kino5

kino5 Member

This may be a silly question but... How do I know which IDs are available or not used to give it to my mod? Should I give it a random ID and change it if it collides with an existing one?

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The basic ones you can find in the game files - those you are not to touch or everything will go to hell.

Other than that, pretty much guessing. We could have a thread with ID reservations (which we don't have because there's still not many mods, but it might be good to get something like that stickied in the future), but there's always bound to be an idiot who doesn't comply to use it.

19. kino5

kino5 Member

Well, I imagined it was something like that. I'll take a three-digit ID so it's less possible to repeat it. If an ID reservation thread is opened, i commit myself to use it.
    Thanks for your answer :)

20. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm laying claim to 600-625 right now. Not that I have 25 skills, but I will someday. :)