Difficulty level of save game?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by neilb, Aug 2, 2012.

1. neilb

neilb Member

Is there any way of looking at the difficulty level of a saved game? The load saved screen only seems to show the skills you have selected. I don't mind looking at the save files with a hex editor or vim, if necessary - I just need to know the format.

The reason I ask is I've just updated to the latest patch (1.1.1) and seem to be having a really easy time with a new game I started, and I'm wondering if by finger trouble I selected the wrong difficulty level - I'd like to check before I play further.

2. Profanity

Profanity Member

Well, if you have no bonus mana regen, you can check how many turns does it take you to regain a point of mana. Dwarvish supposed to be 7 and Rogue 8, if I remember correctly?

EDIT: I'm sure that Dwarvish is 7. So if it's higher or lower than that, then... you know what means what.

3. neilb

neilb Member

Thanks, it looks like I am on Rogue, but the game is definitely much easier than it was. I think the difference is that with this new view angle thing the monsters often don't see me, and so don't immediately head straight for me, which means I have plenty of time to pepper them with ranged attacks - I wonder if these new features have been fully play-tested?

4. DuckAndCower

DuckAndCower Member

I've noticed the change in difficulty, too. Definitely seems to be related to the new vision rules for the monsters.

5. neilb

neilb Member

Yeah, I just had a 100+ monster zoo on level 4 and it was really easy to deal with, as the monsters mostly never left the zoo and many just sat there waiting for me to slaughter them (which of course I did). I'm all in favour of stealth in games, but the new vision rules don't seem to have been too well thought out.

6. Profanity

Profanity Member

I find the new zoos really annoying, you have to get way too close to the belly of the beast to reach a bloody mob, they barely come to you anymore.

7. Warlock

Warlock Member

Save weak AoE consumables. Make enemies mad with them. You still split them right and can take them on anyway. Profit!