Derek: I showed Daynab a Shoutbox that doesn't suck!

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Rarefied Horse Meat, Feb 9, 2012.

1. <Gumbeh> we need a shoutbox!
    <Daynab> oh god no
    <Daynab> (ask derek)
    <Gumbeh> squadtd.com looks like it uses the EXACT same forum software, but has a shoutbox
    <Gumbeh> it's handy and fun! just don't allow anonymous shouting
    <Gumbeh> I will - but he likes me to post things in the suggestions forum
    <Daynab> Im not seeing it (on squadtd.com)
    <Gumbeh> aha! I just tried visiting them in a private browsing window
    <Gumbeh> http://www.squadtd.com/forum/ will only show a shoutbox when you're logged in
    <Gumbeh> ergo, not only can anons not make noise, but they also aren't aware they're missing out on the opportunity TO make noise, nor able to read what's in there
    <Gumbeh> which I'm sure cuts down on the amount of people signing up just to be annoying
    <Daynab> thats a good idea then, make sure to tell him that
    <Daynab> I'd be all for a shoutbox with those conditions

TL;DR - read only the boldface stuff. but it's already pretty short; don't be lazy.

Wi§p likes this.
  2. deek

deek Controller of Bits Staff Member

I'll look into this.

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Dat font stylin'

4. badboy80

badboy80 Member

Wait, if you have a public thread talking about a shoutbox that only registered people can use, so that people who want to spam don't know about it, won't that let those people know about it?

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but if it's a members only then we can ban them, by IP if necessary, which drastically reduces the chances. I mean sure, someone could switch IP and re-register but it's a lot more effort than a couple clicks on the moderator side.

6. I moderate a forum that uses a Shoutbox. It is staff only, but it works well.
    I'm all for registered users only.

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I'm for registered users only too.

Unless you have the ability to simply make it available only for members of a large group, in which case it'd be better to make it so, with only users who have more than 5 posts (for example) being able to use it. That way one would have to post those 5 posts or so before he is given the ability to use the shoutbox, and if his posts indicate that he shouldn't get it, it'd be possible to deny him that ability beforehand.

8. deek

We have decided against the shoutbox. We will be putting in another feature soon that should make it easier for forum users to chat.

ElectricMessiah likes this.
  9. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

It should be called "a link to the IRC channel". :p

10. deek

Mabye... ;)