Defend your Files!!!!

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OmniaNigrum, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

I hope this doesn't make companies bring out in subscription time on games. Being someone that likes to dig out old games from time to time, often some 5+ years after its release, could cause issues for that.

SkyMuffin likes this.
  2. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I don't buy subscription games. They would never get another penny from me.

SkyMuffin and OmniNegro like this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I think we all know they will try this. But they will notice people do not buy their products as much when they do. They will blame piracy and be only partly right. People will have more of a benefit to stealing the software, but many will just find another game that is reasonable.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. Warlock

Warlock Member

I'll just stop buying games in that case. I have enough and more in the current lot that I don't feel like much more is needed. You can keep your "modern" games with your intrusive DRM and rental policies. I'll play old-school until the end to keep away from "modern" games if this is all we have in store for us, as the "future" of gaming.

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have said this exactly myself years ago. Yet a few months back, despite complaining about it and whining like a cry-baby, I installed Steam and bought some games. Given it is not the same. Steam is much better now than I know it was at one time. But the point is that there will come a time where you get really bored and will probably reconsider this position.

Game makers using intrusive protections know this. They rely on this and the sheer number of simpletons out there to stay in business.

Only when the governments of the world finally make software purchases have real lasting value and forbid the monopoly through rental scam will we be free to really support the good companies that are unfortunate enough to have a publicly traded stock. (The reason I say that about the stock is that if they choose to pass on an option to gain revenue, they can and eventually will be sued by some rich jerk who expected them to do every unholy thing they can to make maximum money. As a Publicly traded stock they are "Required" to make money rather than delay even for good reasons or risk being accused in court of price fixing or some other crap.)

That is why the license needs to be universal, clear and unbound. This may never happen though. Too many lawyers are involved.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

what the hell is this

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The sad state of affairs in companies in America. (I have no idea if it is the same in most or all the world. But it really happens here.)

8. Warlock

Warlock Member

[​IMG]
    Welcome to 2020, where retards with deep pockets can control the rest of us like puppets. Coming from a rich family myself though, I'll add that not everyone in that category are snobs who look down their noses at the rest of the world. We were taught at an early age about the value of money, and not to screw over the guy on the street who wasn't as lucky as we were. I follow the same ethic, I'm only going to overcharge the people who can afford it. I'll probably just give out free consulting services to most people anyway, now that I come to think of it.

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

same here. i still reinstall Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate every now and then, ten years after playing them :)

OmniNegro likes this.