Decent into the Dungeon (IC Thread)

Discussion in 'RPGs' started by Dyrynify, Oct 25, 2011.

1. blob

blob Member

Torma looks around him, searching for traces like feet marks on the floor's dust... Anything that would betray the recent presence of someone else. (search + 6)

2. Godwin

Godwin Member

Rantic walks towards the skeletons and inspects them: what's the state of their bones, how long have they been there, is there anything else besides skeleton, is there any hint they'll rise up (not necessarily in that order)?

3. blob

blob Member

Torma grumbles as Rantic walks on top of possible tracks.

4. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Swig digs through the magical sack, digging out a bottle of port. He yanks out the cork with his teeth, spits it across the room, then takes a long pull of the contents. "If we're gonna be goin' into rooms with hunnerds of rats, possibly more o' them diggles, an' more like that, I'll wanna be takin' time to rest up, swap out the magic I came in with. My stuff right now's all findin' things, pokin' into corners, openin' stuff and holdin' it shut. Y'know, sorta like a big-ass toolkit on stumpy little legs.

"BUT. Gimme a chance to rest up, go over me books, an' I can do just as much butt-kickin' as the next guy. Even bring in some tricks to help the rest of ya kick more butt." He hefts his crossbow. "This sucker's got a punch to it, and a little trick in it should we run into somethin' really nasty, but the magic I got left is all tricksy explorin' stuff. If'n ye're good wit' dat, great. Just don' wanna hear no one complainin' if I don't go throwin' round Obvious Fireballs an' such."

5. Godwin

Godwin Member

"Fireballs are crude and ineffective! Better go with something more sophisticated," Rantic says while still occupying himself with the pile of bones in front of him.

6. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

Torma: You do find some tracks. They look like a line with dots on either side.

Rantic: The bones are mostly broken, but there are a few complete skeletons. They look like they have been here a while, and have been picked clean by something. There are mandible marks on them.

Swig: It is about time for setting up camp, so you all could if you want.

7. Godwin

Godwin Member

"Hmm this is workable... They have some mandible marks on them, but it shouldn't... Yes, this will do nicely for a first experiment.

Okay let's set up camp here people, but allow me some room here."

8. Godwin

Godwin Member

"Hehehe, let's cast this the oldfashioned way... always feels better."

Rantic spreads his arms wide and throws his head backwards. Staring into blank space he starts to intone words of power that seem to coil thickly around everyone who hears them. Shadows seem to darken a bit and it's as if the world is holding it's breath in anticipation.

He stands wide and powerful, filled with energy. His words becomes louder and more commanding. He gestures to the bones and shouts the final incantations and casts create undead on one of the complete skeletons.

As soon as the bones begin to vibrate and click together he starts another incantation. The words feel cold with sharp corners this time. It's also a notably lighter spell, which doesn't have as much effect on the atmosphere in the room.

Rantic Dragore casts command undead as soon as the ghoul is formed.

He then holds open his robe and says to the creature: "Come unto me, my loyal subject."

Wi§p and brobbeh like this.
  9. blob

blob Member

Torma tries to identify the footprints (knowledge dungeoneering +7) then attempts to track down some of them to see if they lead to somewhere - a sigil or secret door maybe ? ( survival +5 )

Upon seeing what Rantic is doing, he stops, disgusted " A necromancer with that ?! "

10. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

Rantic: No failure possible with either of those spells, so all that works. What everyone sees that was not mentioned is that the newly created skeleton walks froward and seems to fuse with the robe. For a brief moment, you all can see a skeleton shape embroider itself on the robe, then it fades from view.

Torma: (d20+7=13)(d20+5=25). The tracks are giant centipede tracks, and they lead to holes high in the walls. You notice this as you see 9 of them come out!
    Initiative:
    1. Rantic
    2. Swig
    3. Monsters
    4. Hort
    5. Berz
    6. Monsters
    7. Torma
    8. Monsters
    Room map:
    Battle001.jpg
    And, go!

11. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

Updated map, by request:
    Battle001.jpg

12. blob

blob Member

" Listen guys, those tracks... I think those are Giant centipede's, they usually like to dig their holes in... Oh. By saint Euxide... "
    Torma shifts south 5' then waits for the closer centipede (8) to come down and chops it down with his longswords.

[+6 ; 1d8 +3 +1d6 ]
    [+7 ; 1d8 +4]
    [+2 ; 1d8 +3 +1d6 ]

13. Godwin

Godwin Member

"Hehehe it worked!"

Rantic looks around to see what the fuss is about.

"Oh bloody... ok, no time to do it the oldfashioned way."
    Rantic quickly gestures and speaks a single string of syllables in a dark tongue. Cast Summon Undead V.
    4 Ghouls appear around Dragore the dark-but-blue drow, one to the north, one to the south, one to the east and one to the west.

"Defend me, my pets!"

Rantic then takes his Scythe in hand, ready to defend himself.

14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Can we have a map that shows where Rantic's undead are? He has 4 Summoned Ghouls and a Created Ghoul that are probably taking up a lot of space.

Berz, seeing 3 insects and only 2 targets in the northwest corner, charges Centi 2 and takes a hack at it. No rage this time -- is Bull Strength still up? IIRC it lasts 5 minutes -- did we take that long messing around with the sigil and whatnot?

15. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

[Bulls Strength not up.]

Rantic, realizing just how boned he could be, summons a gang of ghouls to surround him, then draws his scythe. Swig, caught by surprise by the centipede, fires his crossbow at Centi 1. (d20+5=22; Hit: 1d10+1=9) It chitters as it dies. Centis 2 & 3 rush Berz. He, responding with his readied action, swings at centi 2. (d20+11=30; Hit: 1d12+2d6+7=26, 1d6=3) Ew, bug guts everywhere. Berz continues with a cleave attack. (d20+11=21; Hit: 1d12+2d6+7=19, 1d6=1) Another one bites the dust. Hort, slightly annoyed at being skipped, attacks no.9 with his/her rapier. (d20+14=29; Hit: 1d4+5+1d6=12) Dead bug. At this point, Rantic is glad he moved quickly. The three nearest him move in and attack the ghouls. (d20+2=21; Hit: 1d4-1=1), (d20+2=16; Hit: 1d4-1=2), (d20+2=4; Miss.) The ghouls just smile. Torma slides into position and tries to carve up a bug. (d20+6=23; Hit: 1d8+3=6,1d6=4) Once more, a dead bug. Number 7 is having none of this mess and retreats into its hole.
    Battle001.jpg

16. Essence

"Mph. Warmups. Where's the beef?"

17. blob

blob Member

Torma picks a javelin attached to a bandoleer on his back and hurls it at a centipede busy with the ghouls (centi 4).

[+10 ;1d6+3]

18. Godwin

Godwin Member

"Attack my pets, hahahaa!"
    Rantic Dragore forcefully throws his Scythe to Centi 4 ((sorry Torma, is what I would have done without knowing your action (which my char can't know since it's in his future), logically, you'll actually throw at another one)).
    [+9, 2d4+8]

Wi§p and brobbeh like this.
  19. Essence

Berz assumes centis 4 and 6 are taken care of and carefully looks about for signs of other danger, readying another action to strike.

20. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

Rantic throws his scythe, (d20+9=22; Hit: 2d4+8=14) Dead. The ghouls attack (d20+2=17; Hit: 1d6+1=4; d20+0=17; Hit: 1d3=3) (d20+2=21; Hit: 1d6+1=7; d20+0=14; Hit: 1d3=2) killing the last 2. They look to Rantic for orders.