Decent into the Dungeon (IC Thread)

Discussion in 'RPGs' started by Dyrynify, Oct 25, 2011.

1. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Swig steps into the room, dodging the dismembered corpses and broken beaks. As he approaches the remains of the badger, the body seems to collapse in on itself, leaving nothing but assorted patches of fur. These patches dissolve into nothing as the dwarf scatters them with his boot. "Well, we just got here ourselves, mostly. Lemme think on how to 'splain this place best."

[Critters from a bag of tricks vanish upon death, or after 10 minutes. Sorry, Berz, no pelt. Knowledge - Dungeoneering check at +13 to recall details of this place, please.]

2. blob

blob Member

[Sorry, forgot to describe Torma's appearance. Which may or may not affect the other's reaction.]

Now closer to the 4 other adventurers, they all take a better look at Torma... and smell him too. He looks dirty and clearly hasnt bathed recently. He has a bushy beard, his boots and pants are covered in dried mud and small pieces of twigs and leaves on his clothes shows he might have slept outside in a forest recently. His chain mail and the long sword in his right hand are covered in dried blood.
    Your average armored hobo basically.

3. Godwin

Godwin Member

Rantic Dragore steps over a dead diggle and goes to stand in the middle of the room. He takes a look around before speaking. He looks alert, alive, energetic and thoroughly satisfied.
    "Well then, Torma, you are in a dungeon near Slemdal, in the Jevnakar Mountains... Yes, THAT dungeon."
    Rantic smiles and tries to gauge whether Torma is surprised by this.
    "Did you just teleport in? I must say I am curious to know how that happened."

4. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

(d20+13=33)(!) The dungeon was built to contain Dredmor, a massively powerful lich. It was designed to get harder as you go lower, to discourage people from going down and releasing him. There are crazy rumors that somewhere in the dungeon there are tiny little towns where people have gotten stuck and banded together for protection. Once you go in, you are trapped until one of 2 things happen: 1, you die. If you die, you are sent to the entrance if there is no one to watch over the body. 2, you seal Dredmor once more. This requires getting to the last (10th) floor, and defeating him in combat. Being a lich, he wont die, but at that point you can seal him away again. It is near Slemdal, in the Jevnakar Mountains. This area was chosen because it is remote. The three major gods, (Krong, Inconsequentia, and The Lutefisk God) placed shrines in the dungeon to help those who try to stop Dredmor.

5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Berz shakes Torma's hand. "You look like I did a week ago. Then they learned me how to shave, and bathe. You should try it, it's kinda nice. Anyway. I'm Berz "the Irked" D'Allot, and since they didn't say it themselves, this is Rantic Dragore the darky, Hort (by the way, Hort, do you have a last name?) the skinny shorty, and Swig the not as skinny shorty. Rantic and Swig both do magic of some kind, Hort is a Diggle Commando at heart, and I swing this at things." Berz hefts his axe. "Well."

"Your turn."

Dyrynify likes this.
  6. blob

blob Member

Torma listens and tries to suck in all the informations. There is no sign of surprise when Rantic mentions the area and even the name of Dredmor doesnt seem to ring a bell.
    "This place is a 10 floor deep dungeon ? This is gonna make things a bit more complicated... Rantic, I am not a master of the arcane arts (I actually like to stay as far away from it as I can) and I did not teleport into the dungeon. I crawled in through a tunnel made by one of those birds you call Diggles. However some magical device teleported me into the middle of this mess. It looked like a circle and some runes engraved in the floor. Stepping on it directly brought me here." Torma points at the rests of the badger. " This is where I appeared, maybe there is more runes hidden there. Since you and Swig are mages, you are probably more suited than me at identifying this kind of stuff..."

Turning back to Berz, he adds " I've been referred to as Torma Long-arms. " Torma shows the diverse arsenal of throwing daggers, javelins and bolas he has on various bandoleers and belts. " I like to weaken my foes with some of those, but this is just an appetizer for my two long swords."

" Now I am also curious... It sounds like this place is rather dangerous. Why would any of you want to delve in there ? "

7. Hort seeming to have fallen behind everyone else walks right into the center of the room towards Torma. Hort holds out an arm for Torma to shake then exclaims "Hort Izanhower, 'Diggle Commando' as this one calls me." gesturing her head in Berz's direction as she says it. "I'm the ma- errr WOMAN for disabling traps and stabbing things in the back."

8. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

The dwarf sets his crossbow over his shoulder, giving a casual wave with his free hand. "Swig Kegabeer, artificer. I'm here for the loot. A place like this, deep down, is gonna have some powerful magic, and I plan on walking off with as much as I can carry.

"I'm good at makin' stuff, given the materials and a bit o' time. I don't do much battle-magic, though any mage who can't throw an obvious fireball ain't a mage. I'm better findin' stuff -- hidden magic, old languages, that sort."

9. Godwin

Godwin Member

Rantic frowns slightly amused at the latest remark of Swig.
    "Yes Berz is being his usual blunt self again. You'll learn to ignore it."
    He quickly winks to Berz to show it's just friendly banter.
    "But he did get the formalities out of the way."
    He stares intrigued at the floor Torma indicated.
    "A sigil of some sort then?", he asks from no one in particular.
    Crouching he examines the spot, and tries to pick up any residual magic [no idea what roll, or if it's possible, but definitely a normal search too].

10. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

[Your best bet for playing around with magic is detect magic and spellcraft in combination. Is your search for the room, or the mark on the floor? Anyone else looking around?]

11. (After Tormas response) Hort begins searching the room (+12) specifically the closed doors and diggle corpses.

12. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

(d20+12=31) The only door to worry about it the north east one, there is a pit trap. Beyond that, there is not a lot of treasure on these guys. There is about 40 gold all together, and a wand of some kind, but you are not sure if they were carrying it, or if it was just sitting here.

13. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

All doors are unlocked.

Party003.jpg

14. blob

blob Member

" A fairly diversified team... Would you mind if I tag along ? I would be happy to give you a hand tearing Diggles in pieces. And if you have any informations on similar looking creatures that seem to be able to turn invisible... It would be appreciated."

15. Essence

Berz glances at the map and walks over to open the south door. "No point in not leaving an easy escape route, yeah? All right...uh...what next?"

16. Dyrynify

Dyrynify Member

That door is the one Torma was in, and was already open.

17. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

"We go north." Swig points at the non-trapped door.

18. Godwin

Godwin Member

[If I can the entire room, else it's focussed on the spot where Torma said he'd appear.]

19. "North you say? I've got no problem with that."

20. Essence

"Aight. Where's Torma gonna stand in line?"