Daggers as a soft alternative to Dual Wielding

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kaidelong, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Currently, you suffer the dual wielding debuff if you wield two daggers or a weapon and a dagger without dual wielding. It could be a perk for daggers in being uniquely exempt from this, allowing them to improve your melee attacks and trigger dagger skill abilities if you have them in your offhand, even with another weapon in your mainhand.

It will also make dual wielding less exclusively important for melee damage.

2. GreyICE

GreyICE Member

Dual Wielding with Daggers doesn't seem great anyway, since the draw of the tree would be the +25 :counter: +25 :block: stance which is utterly ridiculous in every way, and Two Attacks, one Dagger, which does scale off dual wielding, but seems just fine without it.

Honestly the tree is probably a lot stronger than any of the old weapon trees.

3. Giygas

Giygas Member

The problem is the weapons (though the best dagger is probably the best weapon in the game). They're lackluster, so I had to wield a secondary non-dagger weapon for the majority of the game.

4. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

I'm in a game where I currently have nearly maxed dagger skill, yet I'm using two swords.

The daggers in the game are just THAT bad (on average), and the defensive stance from the dagger tree is just THAT good that I could care less. 25 block/25 counter is worth all those skill points just that by itself.

5. Giygas

Giygas Member

I use the sneaky stance XD I do wonder if I should sacrifice the crit from it for more :counter:, though.

At least the Morvaic Bushdagger is good, otherwise I wouldn't consider them. Not even for the sharp blades stance. Either way, I like this idea.

6. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Also, most of the best daggers can't be crafted, which makes daggers a bit trickier to use. I think that's very flavor appropriate as you are encouraged to acquire better weapons through sneakiness instead of honest hard work. Just part of how the tree balances I think.

7. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

Just to clarify for those unaware....you can use the dagger tree stances without actually having a dagger equipped. Likewise for several of the other abilities in the dagger tree. You don't gain the passive stat bonuses without using a dagger, however....but as I said earlier, the stances are SO good (especially the defensive one) it makes the dagger tree arguably the best tree for any weapon user, period. I was pleased to see them change that you no longer got penalized for using weapons you didn't have the weapon skill for, but it seems a tad silly that you can get nearly all of the best benefits of certain weapon trees without using that weapon whatsoever.

Nikolai likes this.
  8. Thultex

Thultex Member

I think its in the patch notes though. So probably the stances will only work for daggers after the next patch.