Critical crash when entering a random dimension

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by rabgaz, Oct 31, 2012.

1. rabgaz

rabgaz Member

Whenever I enter a random string of letters for the dimensions portal in the pocket dimension, the game crashes, and sometimes if I wait for too long, everything freezes on my computer (except sounds) and all I can do is a hard reset!

Attached is my savegame. Some debug dumps seem to have been generated in the game folder, but they are totally empty.

I'm running Win7-64, desura version of DoD with the 3 expansion packs installed (I'm not using desura though as it is a portable installation in another folder on my computer). I will try someday on WinXP pro and Linux but I don't have time right now.

Edit: just tried with a new game, permadeath, easy mode, diggle god and smaller floors enabled, and it didn't crash (although it did freeze for a few seconds while generating the dimension when I entered the portal).
    I should have saved before entering the portal. I died as creatures are over powered in there.

Attached Files:

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

To be clear: with the savegame you've uploaded, if you enter any dimension it will crash?

3. rabgaz

rabgaz Member

Oh I'm sorry, I should have pointed out that it DOES work when I enter a non-random dimension, that is to say I enter a string that appeared on a wall somewhere (and that I had to write down).

It crashes everytime I enter a random string of letters. Or should I say, it doesn't crash, it freezes like hell and I'm almost sure the CPU gets used at 100%.

4. Stoz

Stoz Member

Diggle hell...

5. Daynab

We'll look into it.

6. Daynab

I loaded it on my pc and it didn't crash when entering diggle hell, but I'm running the 1.1.3 beta, so whatever is causing it seems to be fixed for the next patch.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I encountered this the other day when I was trying to finish off the "get killed by a demon diggle" achievement and just loaded/reloaded a non-permadeath character to do it. The freeze seems to happen more frequently when the random string of letters you enter is very short (less than 8 characters), while it works fine if you fill the entire character allotment.

8. Daynab

I tried single letter hell (since it doesn't matter what you put in anyway) and didn't crash with his save.