Creating a "It belongs in a musem" + "map markers mod" need pointers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lujo86, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Congratulation. That is all.

lujo86 likes this.
  2. lujo86

lujo86 Member

Well, as far as I'm able to figure stuff out anyone looking to give skills hidden bonuses should do the following, provided someone actually manages to make "polymorphedonly" work for a "subabiltiy" made in any way and not the whole ability. Might even be doable.

Step 1: Make a "negative" of the original abilitily from the core skillDB in your separate skillDB using the "minimalist" template:

Code:
    <ability skill="0" level="0">
    <damagebuff slashing="-100" />
    </ability>

and put negative values of what the original skill does here if the skill gives stat/attribute buffs. The code up there would work for the swords skill if the first skill gave +100 slashing.

Step 2: Make another "minimalist" ability which does what you want it to do.

Code:
    <ability skill="0" level="0">
    <damagebuff crushing="+100" />
    </ability>[/FONT]

Step 3: Copy/paste the original skill from the core skillDB, with the visuals and everything.

If you line it up right it should give bonuses for all, but end up skowing only the last one in the skill tree lvl-up view.

However, if u use activated abilities anywhere they will still show up in the skill-use bar, unless someone can actually make the pollymorph thing to work. I did figure out how to polymorph into stuff other than diggles (was easy enough, yes :) ) but putting a polymorphedonly tag on a sendwiched ability buff is giving me a headache.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. lujo86

lujo86 Member

Ok, before I work on decorating the room to give it a proper shriney feeling, does anyone know of a tag or somethign which would guarantee the room spawning once pre floor?

And I went with the "Farrunheight" name for the god :)

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The only way to make it a guaranteed spawn would be to make it into a "seed" room, but that means it'd always be the first room to generate when you get down.

Outside of that, making it small helps, and if you really want them to be sure you can make two copies of the room (and give them both the "special" parameter) - there will be a small chance for both of them to generate, but it shouldn't happen that often.

5. lujo86

lujo86 Member

Good idea, and even if two spawn it shouldn't really werck up anyone's game seeing how the main components which you sacrifice can't stack, and it would be a nice random bonus if you didn't sell your randarts too quick.

I was thinking there might be a way to do it seeing as "proper" shrines seem to be guaranteed to spawn (lutefisk god, inconsequentia, and I'm getting about 2-3 krongs per level sometimes"). Also, I think I might've figured out a way to refresh Inconsequentia statues, and will use it in one of the custom classes that I promissed to make if this thing works out :)

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

They are using the same method - there are a few possible versions and every one of them has a chance to spawn. The only difference is that there is a value for the hard limit of these rooms per level (stored in "tweakDB.xml"; I never bothered to experiment with it, though, so I likely won't be of much help with that one).

7. lujo86

lujo86 Member

Ok, so here's the first test version, I's pretty lousy except in the basic funcionality, will make it better by familiarizirn myself with room modding. Stick it in your game, and give it a while anyone. Sometimes you'll get 2 rooms per floor, but I guess noone will really mind. Feedback, ideas and concrete suggestions about png files and architecture to use much appriciated :)

Working on the skills for a separate mod now :)

Attached Files:

8. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

So, it's working like the IBIAM spell? And how many times for each shrine?

9. lujo86

lujo86 Member

Once, so far. Kinks need ironing out, since it only works the first time you try. It's like - if you just want to turn a meaningless named artifact into a more tangible reward - youre good with this. If you want to powergame with the whole Archeology package and artifact manufacture - you go full Archeology. If you're used to having a "makemoresensify" button in the form of IBIAM in every build - this is a good way to try the game with 7 skill trees and still have something to do with otherwise meaningless junk from zoos and quests (those of them which are useless).

EDIT: And it doesn't look very shriney atm, but that sa matter of redecorating which is in order.

EDIT: Updates on the status in the original post. :)

Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  10. lujo86

lujo86 Member

New and improved version up for your perusal - we have a statue, less doors and places it can show up, more intuitive and functional layout, 100% more books (scripture doubled in size omg!). Read up and download in the first post, and again, feedback appriciated. :)

EDIT: Appologize for the delay, this really wasn't all that much work. Busting my brain with trying to make it an actuall shrine within the existant modding restricition was, and turned out futile. Cuuuuurses.

Essence and Kazeto like this.
  11. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I know there's a script event based on player location. You could have the player put the item on the shrine and then do a "activate whenever player is NOT on x,y" kind of thing so that it vanished as the player left.

Yeah...I don't think that's possible, sadly.

Word. There are so many things everyone would love to do with the minimap, but right now that's entirely hardcoded.

As long as it's only one (or presumably often zero) per floor, I don't think it will. If it did, though, may I suggest <effect type="corruptequipment" amount="2"> ?

Ahh, the power of psychology. :) That's awesome, I'mma try it out on my next run.

Vitellozzo, Kazeto and lujo86 like this.
  12. lujo86

lujo86 Member

Ty for the reply, and I'll deffinitely appriciate any feedback on the room itself after you do a run. I'm on the second test run, so far it's not disruptive, but there is a bit of a letdown if no rooms show up. Since there are only 2 this is sadly rather often, and I'm considering bumping the number up to 3 total, which should almost guarantee at least one showing per floor.

Then it would need a terrible price attached. I'm not sure corruption's the way to go, since everyone seems to be whining about it like it's the plague (I myself never really noticed it, must be the playstyle or something. I did get corrupted, but didn't find it too detracting. Yet. )

I did however like your "more shrines" idea from the other thread. Once this one's tested out, I wouldn't mind seeing to the other ideas - one of them could be corruption removing shrine, and with 3-4 different shrines around we could even make a "shrine roulette" where you can combine the pro's and cons of each if we decide to give them all a stinging price tag ^^

(Oh, and the "finding more usefull stuff" is definitely a psychological thing, I know, but it's making me feel better about doing stuff in game :) )

But first test this one, publish it and get to those skill lines :)

Vitellozzo, Essence and Kazeto like this.
  13. mining

mining Member

No.

Corruption on something you're meant to use is dumb - A) it'll never be worth it or B) you get nekkid with the shrine.

14. lujo86

lujo86 Member

The b just fell to mind...

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, as it was said in the past, the best way to dungeon delve is without pants.

It's a long story...

Essence likes this.
  16. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

What about a debuff which block any futher reuse of it for some turns?
    Or a percentage of summoning a bad demon?

17. lujo86

lujo86 Member

Either's good, the penalty if there is any should just be flavour and not really something t scare people off entirely. Let's just playest it a bit before we can see if it needs a cost at all, and where on the scale of mechanics-vs-flavour. Hitting the player with a random/bunch of bankster debuffs ought to be enough in any case, as far as I can see for now.

Kazeto and Vitellozzo like this.
  18. mining

mining Member

I'd go with a small debuff to sagacity, complaining about how boring the museum is.

lujo86 and Essence like this.
  19. lujo86

lujo86 Member

Ha! There's a thought, the bankster-like one would deffinitely go with a "the cost of running a pan-dimensional waste disposal" or something.

I do have feedback on the whole shrine-vs-the-museum thingy. Well, the shringe cant be used for the "manufacture artifacts and rake in xp" deal because it's found at random, and you get more than enough junk to scrape (I end up selling/using a lot more than I send off). So picking up archeology for that is still very much an Archaeologly only thing. Also, "Inscription" and "Krong reset" are very deffinitely an Archeology only thing :)

Say, anyone know a way to clean the encrusts of an item? Not in-game, but in code? I had this idea where if there was a "Cleanse corruption shrine" it could also remove all your encrusts (for the lols, for getting more use out of it, for penalizing you in encrsting components (some of which can be a bit difficult to find) ). Any thoughts?

Kazeto and Vitellozzo like this.
  20. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Sadly, I'm pretty sure there's no unencrusting. Zaratustra tried to make anencrust with negative instability and it crashed everything horribly. :)

lujo86 likes this.