Windows Vista/7 64-bit Crashing when using Portal in COTW

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by ApolloDeus, Aug 10, 2012.

1. ApolloDeus

ApolloDeus Member

I deleted the data of the wkeys_all.dat file in the documents folder like some have suggested to access some of the areas on my new save. unfortunately, i had been significantly invested into this playthrough before i decided to do so. I think the game is crashing because I had items stored in the portal dungeon. Just thought I would share.

if someone could upload their wkeys_all.dat file for me that would be awesome

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

3. ApolloDeus

ApolloDeus Member

Is there anything you suggest I backup prior?

edit: I went ahead and did the hotfix, now it says the dungeon has changed when I load my save and crashes

edit2: Went back and unsubb'd and resub'd all the mods I was using. They showed up in the launcher (they seemingly weren't, earlier) and now I'm able to load the game. still crashing when i click the blue portal to go to wizardlands

4. ApolloDeus

ApolloDeus Member

i also noticed its not recreating the wkeys_All.dat file when i delete (rename) it

5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(Side note: damnit, we thought this might happen, but we thought we got it all. This is being caused by the code that generates new dungeon levels when an old save game has a dungeon level deleted. So obviously we missed something.

One round of save games being sent in should clear this up. Danke schoen.)

7. ApolloDeus

ApolloDeus Member

Okay, i have sent it in. I made the save after the expansion, if that is vital information.
    Also, i feel obligated to tell you that hotfixes don't let mods load

8. ApolloDeus

ApolloDeus Member

Nicholas, whats the file(s) coding for the new dungeon levels. i am interested in reverting the files (from my hotfix overwrite) to the stock steam files and overwriting everything using the hotfix except those files.

As it stands, the hotfix will not sync my mods into dredmor, they will not show up in my mod manager - thus giving me the error that the dungeons has rearranged itself and crashing the game

9. Aegho

Aegho Member

You need to use a wizard key to travel to a wizardland for it to be created.

10. ApolloDeus

ApolloDeus Member

I have the wizardkey, and it crashes everytime i click the portal in the bottom right to go to the wizardland command center

11. Aegho

Aegho Member

wkeys_all.dat has nothing to do with that. Just pointing that out. All that file is, is a storage file for wizardland grafitti that you have used, it gets created when you enter a wizardland by using a correct code.

I have deleted it a few times without running into any issues.

12. ApolloDeus

ApolloDeus Member

exactly, and what I am saying is that i can't portal into wizardlands after deleting that file.

edit: my proposal is that if you store items in the wizardlands command center, and you delete the wkeys_all.dat file, the game can no longer reference to items so it crashes

13. Aegho

Aegho Member

Again, I have deleted it a few times without issues. That includes storing stuff in the command center. It is not created just by storing stuff in the command center.

More likely changes in the savegame structure has broken your savegame.

14. Qrusher14242

Qrusher14242 Member

yeah, mine crashed when i saved the game in the pocket dimension...then i couldnt leave it without CTD. i could go to Wizardlands fine, I tried the hotfix, but it put back to level 2( i was on lvl 3) and then every time i tried to enter the Pocket, it CTD.