Windows Vista/7 64-bit Crashing When Entering Portal in Pocket Dimension and Loading

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by mailman985, May 19, 2013.

1. mailman985

mailman985 Member

I have the COTW and the YHTNTEP DLC. Whenever I enter the portal in the pocket dimension, the game crashes and I can't use that code again. The game also crashes whenever I load a save (sometimes I just go back to the title screen). Sometimes I can load an autosave, but it usually won't work. I am getting really frustrated on this and I am about ready to quit on this game. Can someone help?

Edit:I have been able to enter other dimensions before, I just can't for some reason now

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I'm assuming you don't have the first expansion. Which is required for the third one (namely CotW) to work properly, but due to the way DoD works you don't find out about this until you ask here unless you know what to look for.

3. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Wait, WHAT?! All the expansions are supposed to work as standalones.

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, there was a problem of this sort quite a bit of time in the past. I don't know if you changed it (nor do I particularly care, since I have every expansion) and he did not write what version of the game he is using, so the assumptions I made (that this problem is present in the version he is playing, that he lacks the first expansion, and that this is the exact problem with his copy of DoD) might not necessarily be wrong.

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

They're supposed to work as standalones. But if your crash displays a file name as missing, then it's what Kazeto said, so does it?

Kazeto likes this.
  6. mailman985

mailman985 Member

Sorry about that, but how do I check the version (I'm using steam)? Also, the game just stops working when the game crashes and a popup says that "windows is checking for a solution to the problem"

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It should say on the bottom left in the main menu.

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

There are crash logs (or at least should be), you just need to know where to find them.
    Considering you are using Steam, it's this location:

"[folder where you installed Steam]/steamapps/common/dungeons of dredmor/"

It's the main folder for your DoD installation and it's also where the crash logs appear, with their file-names being date-stamps.

9. mailman985

mailman985 Member

I am using version 1.1.4 and I don't see any crash reports

Attached Files:

10. mailman985

mailman985 Member

I decided to get the last DLC and what do you know, it worked! The game stop crashing randomly. Thanks for your help!