Windows Vista/7 32-bit Crash when leveling up

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Crad, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Crad

Crad Member

Hey, first time reporting a bug here:

The entire game just crashed on me when I lured a Deth enemy onto an Acid Bolt Trap, that proceeded to cause my character to level up (Level 3). The crash occurred after I selected "Hunter's Lure" from the Big Game Hunter skillset, and then clicked the X to exit out of the skill screen. Immediately the game hanged and died horribly. In fire.

Hopefully this is reproducible.

Bohandas likes this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Can you check the game folder and see if there's a .dmp file with the date corresponding to your crash? if so please upload it.

3. Crad

Crad Member

Sorry, no .dmp files found. I'm looking in my "Steam/steamapps/common/dungeons of dredmor" directory. I'll keep looking for now though, and see if I can reproduce it again.

4. Crad

Crad Member

I was just able to cause it again. This time it happened after leveling up to level 2, after a Diggle exploded after four turns, when using a Tentacular Wand on it. This caused my character to level up. After choosing my skill (Butcher from Big Game Hunter), I proceeded to click the X (Close) button for the skill window. Immediately my screen froze and Windows stated the application had died.

Unfortunately, due to ineptitude on my part (I swear, I pressed Print Screen that time!), I don't have a screenshot.

Unfortunately, no .dmp files were found in the application directory. Here's what Windows Log Viewer says about the problem though, with a ton of information to digest that will not likely be useful:

5. Daynab

Are you updated on the latest version? (1.0.11)

6. Crad

Crad Member

Yes. I just checked on the title screen. 1.0.11. It's also set to auto-update on Steam.

The weird thing is, I've been playing for a while. I don't think it has anything to do with the skill, but maybe the way the enemies both times died. Could the problem be the particle and floor effects on screen at the time?

7. Daynab

It could be yea, we had a hunch that's what was causing it but I thought it was fixed. We'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the report.

8. Crad

Crad Member

As a brief update, it seems to be fine when I don't kill the enemy with a fire explosion effect (or in the case of the first crash, when a fire effect is still on-screen). I've been able to reproduce it a few times now by using a Fiery Wand, Tentacular Wand, and Makeshift Bombs. However, killing an enemy with an Arcane Wand appeared to work fine. It's a bit tricky to reproduce...

Not sure if that's actually the cause, without more info, but that's definitely what it looks like to an outside observer.

9. oebus

oebus Member

I've been having a similar issue on Win 7 64-bit for a while now. The stupid thing even persisted through a complete OSRI and system change. I suppose that might help in troubleshooting, since literally the only pieces of hardware that are still the same in my box are the hard drives; however, where I had the game installed on my media drive before it is now installed on my SSD, so... yeah probably doesn't help.

Whenever I level, if there are *ANY* particle effects going, I have probably a 50% chance of crashing after selecting my skill. My Egyptian character is unplayable. Honestly, the whole game is unplayable now. I just created a clockwork knight and leveling to level 2 the creature died in a stink cloud and it crashed. I'm really frustrated, because I love this game but I can't bring myself to waste time on it any more until this gets fixed.

No dump file was created, nor has it ever been, for this crash.

Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)

Faulting application name: Dungeons of Dredmor.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5036ccc3
    Faulting module name: Dungeons of Dredmor.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5036ccc3
    Exception code: 0xc000000d
    Fault offset: 0x0016a9c0
    Faulting process id: 0x1614
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0cce7c65387d
    Faulting application path: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Dungeons of Dredmor\Dungeons of Dredmor.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Dungeons of Dredmor\Dungeons of Dredmor.exe
    Report Id: 4d14db21-78c3-11e2-94b6-50e549442d91

This is a fresh OS install of win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. All windows updates have been applied, no 3rd party security software installed. Steam is installed on my media drive (D:\) and I have a steam library on my SSD (C:\), so I did it through steam, no NTFS junction shenanigans or anything like that.

Edit: Oh, and I should also point out that it's a fresh install of DoD, too. So fresh OS, fresh game files... just about as vanilla as it gets.

10. oebus

oebus Member

Update: This appears to be only related to the stink cloud effect. I've played with a fire mage and haven't had any crashes.

Also, it happens not only when leveling up, but at quest completion as well. So basically, if there's a stink cloud effect going and a pop up window for either leveling or completing a quest appears, I can perform the action in that window, and then it crashes when attempting to go back to the game.