Crash loading old save game with 1.08

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Brian Futrell, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Brian Futrell

Brian Futrell Member

I've been playing 1.06 (HIB/Steam) and have a few save games. I noticed this morning that the program was updated to 1.08. When I try to load any of the saved games it encounters an error and closes.

Are older save games compatible with 1.08? This is on XP Pro SP3.

2. TheKorn

TheKorn Member

Exact same experience here, v1.06 last night, v1.08 auto-upgraded (THANKS STEAM), now every save game I have CRASHES the game. Win7/64 here.

This is *hourrendous* if it's unrecoverable, since I wasn't given a choice of when (or whether!) to update!

3. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

TheKorn, as a Steam user, you should know that games update automatically, you can disable this function, but it's not the developer's fault specifically.

That said, post your skills etc, if you can. I haven't had trouble loading old saves from 1.07, or 1.06. The devs have been pretty careful about this since a fiasco with the first Steam update. :oops:

4. Adam

Adam Member

I am having a similar issue... But I was playing this morning fine. The autosave and the file crash, some characters are working, some are not. Below are the nots.

Axe/Shield/Master at Arms/Golem/Math/Perception/Alchemy
    Staff/Archery/Golem/Math/Prometh/Alchemy/Tink
    Dual Wield/Golem/Math/Viking/Assassin/Fungal/Alchemy

These fellows Load fine, though.

Axe/Shield/Berserk/Master at Arms/Golem/Perception/Fungal
    Staff/Archer/Promethian/Learning/Alchemy/Wand Lore/Archaeology

I'm starting to see a Mathemagic pattern.

The game is also beginning to crash in the load game menu. When I 'Roller Ball Scroll' in the load game menu it crashes without fail.

5. ChaoGuy2006

ChaoGuy2006 Member

I'm having the exact same problems.

- I'm in the mine level, in front of a Footy.
    - Skills: Dual Wielding, Burglury, Archeology, Swords, Perception, and Smithing (I'm 99% sure. Might have dodging in there too)

Could it be adding the new abilities? (i.e. adding an ability that goes in the middle of the old skill tree?)
    Should we email the logs/any other related files?

6. Wormflush

Wormflush Member

hi there,

I'm having the same problem. Yesterday I saved my game, after the steam update, it won't load again. Another one of my savegames loads without any problems.

Swords/Axes/Dual Wielding/Berserker Rage/Master of Arms/Deadshot/Smithing

I realized that "Deadshot" is no longer in the list of Skills. May that be the reason for the crash?

EDIT: Windows XP SP3, by the way ;)

7. Brian Futrell

Brian Futrell Member

Axe/Crossbow/Master of Arms/?/Promethean/Perception/Tinkerer.

I can't identify the fourth icon from the save game. It appears to be an arrow shot through an apple on top of a monster's head.

8. Wormflush

Wormflush Member

That's "deadshot", this skill seems not to exist anymore.

9. Wormflush

Wormflush Member

negative, my other character that loaded successfully has this skill. ;)

10. Adam

Adam Member

You mean I didn't fix it and save Christmas? Curses!

...I can e-mail save files to whoever needs 'em.

11. Muzicjohn

Muzicjohn Member

Same error here:

Axe/Dual Wielding/Berserker/Dodge/Master of Arms/Viking Wizardry/Smithing

Plz lemmie finish this game, cuz I was doing pretty well ^^. Maybe some unofficial 1.0.6 files, just to end current games?

12. Jadian

Jadian Member

Some of my old games have been crashing as well.

Maces/Master of Arms/Perception/Assassination/Wand Lore/Smithing/Tinkering (I'd finished the old Assassination tree)
    Swords/Duel Wielding/Master of Arms/Vampirism/Astrology/Perception/Fungal Arts (older game, not sure what was skilled up. Was still v1.06 though, first played in november. May have mastered Perception tree?)

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Send all crashy saves to contact@gaslampgames.com and I'll see if we can get some of them running in tonight's hotfix.

Exile likes this.
  14. Nicholas

Please stop sending me save games that crash. I have thirty of them now. :)

Exile likes this.
  15. Brian Futrell

Brian Futrell Member

Well you said to send all save games that crash. :D

16. TheKorn

TheKorn Member

I'm aware of that, but disabling auto-updating of games is a feature that's really really broken in Steam. Known issue, they don't care. (It works for a while, then Steam will forget about it the next time a game update is pushed and you'll get the update even though the game is marked as don't update. Really sucks if you happen to be on a slow or metered link!)

I'm not familiar enough with the game to decode what the icons mean, hopefully someone else can:

[​IMG]

17. Nicholas

Fixed this locally. *Somebody* renamed a monster and didn't tell me.

Exile likes this.
  18. Rob Abrams

Rob Abrams Member

Hi Nicholas,

So what's the verdict ?? Do our 1.06 savegames get FIXED ? :)

Rob.

19. Muzicjohn

Muzicjohn Member

It's working now.
    I died on lvl 10. Thank u very much.

20. Nicholas

Excellent. If anybody else has problems with savegames, we're always happy to take a look.

Exile likes this.