Craft & Encrust Ideas

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by j3st3r, Aug 12, 2012.

1. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

I've been a fan of this game ever since it was released and enjoyed all the changes and improvements it has gone through.

That said, There are things I'd love to see in the future releases:

1) able to arrange all the recipes (e.g. moving them individually with mouse OR by item type/name/etc...)

2) able to encrust belts, boots and gloves

3) If there's a same encrust recipe for different item types, you only need one recipe to encrust any of the item types (perhaps adding new icon to encrusting representing multiple item types)

4) add "missing" crafting recipes (e.g. craft rough iron/steel axes/maces using crude iron/steel axes/maces)

Bohandas likes this.
  2. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

You can encrust gloves, I have a black pearl inlay that uses two black pearls, a silver ingot, and a gold ingot to give +3:resist_voltaic: voltaic resistance, +2:resist_aphyxiative: asphyxiative resistance and -1:sneakiness: sneakiness to gloves. There is a belt encrust called Sassy Banding that needs a Time Lord Scarf and the Sash of the Blue Wizards to give +5:resist_transmutative: transmutative resistance and +5:resist_aethereal: aetherial resistance. And for boots, I have found 1 for Rocket Boots which uses an iron ingot, 2 aluminum tubes and a black powder to give +5:dodge: on dodge. But I would like universal encrusts and such without having to create a separate recipe for each type of item (when modding anyway).

3. Aegho

Aegho Member

You can I think. Just list all slot types in its entry.

Example of encrust that works on multiple slots, ripped straight from expansion3 encrustDB.xml:
    Code:
      <encrust name="Copper Plating">
        <description text="Copper plating is malleable, but it beats taking a bolt to the knee. Have you seen what they pay guards these days?" />
        <tool tag="smithing" />
        <slot type="chest" />
        <slot type="legs" />

<input name="Copper Ingot" />

<skill level="1" />

<secondarybuff id="7" amount="2"/> <!-- block -->
        <primarybuff id="2" amount="-1"/> <!-- nim -->
        <secondarybuff id="12" amount="-1"/> <!-- sneakiness -->
        <resistbuff voltaic="1" />

<encrustwith name="copper plates" />

<instability amount="5" />
      </encrust>
    However it will show up separately for each slot in the encrusting interface in the game I think.

4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

This would be extremely useful. I'd love to be able to sort recipes by name.

5. #3, specifically adding a new icon for each possible combination of slots you can encrust an item into, is significantly more effort than it's worth and would be very confusing and clunky. Beyond the problem of actually finding icons that clearly and unambiguously represents chest/belt and weapon/gloves and neck/ring and etc, etc, you'd also have to, in order to keep the game moddable and allow for any modded-in encrust to use any combination of slots, create 2047 different icons (11 unique slots (counting weapon and shield separately) means 2^11 possible unordered sets, -1 because the null set doesn't matter). And each one would have to clearly denote which of the 2047 icons it was, and be explicitly different than the other 2046. In short, definitely not worth it.

6. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Couldn't you just create 11 mini icons and then have them placed in a grid formation or some such thing when showing what a crust can affect? That seems a lot less work than either of those other options.

7. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

Yeah, I can see what you mean. Still it doesn't make much sense that you need to find specific encrust (like Gaga's Glaze or Defensive Curds) for different equipment.

You're probably talking about some mods? I would have posted this in modding section if i'd be interested in mods.

Also things that I'd like to see in future OFFICIAL releases (that are fitting to this thread) are more encrusting recipes and more crafting uses with existing items like Grounded Meat and Solution of Gold (who in the right mind would ever want to create them?!?)

While I'm at it, here's a couple recipes I'd like see changed:
    1. Staff of Immaculate Conceptualization - It's a hidden recipe, does a meager one point more damage than Metal Orby Staff (which is required to create this crap). Jingly Jangly Staff of Crystals is so much better and IMHO easier to create, since it's not a hidden recipe. Every single wizards that I've played, has gained the staff during the first two floors. (there are plenty of gems in the game and Transmutationer ensures they are the right ones)
    2. Solution of Gold - IMHO Potion of Midas should need this in it's recipe.
    3. Poison Flask - Can be used in recipes that need Verdant Poison (it's the same thing!). Also it would be cool that after using it in a recipe as a Verdant Poison, you're left with an Empty Flask.
    I know this is nitpicking, but many drops makes a river ;)

8. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Nope, the only mod I have going is my Needful Things mod and I haven't updated it with any encrusts or anything from what is in my forum post. These are basic game encrusts. Check the encrusting code if you don't believe me.

9. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

You're right. For some reason I didn't register those smithing encrusts :oops:

10. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I see what you mean. Defensive Curds makes so much sense in and of itself that everything tangential to it should be likewise just as logical and grippingly realistic. ;)

One could argue that covering your armor in meat or cheese for supposed defensive purposes is actually a sign of progressive mental illness. From that perspective it is perfectly logical that the idea for it come to you in and illogical, random, or piecemeal fashion. "Now the voices in my head are telling me to melt cheese onto my pants, instead of my shirt!"

Too much in-character logic makes my oversized eyebrows ache. :D Doubly so when it comes to encrusting.

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  11. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

Couple more suggestions:
    1. Magical Badass Jacket should be a Tinkering recipe rather than Smithing, even though there's 0 level requirement (you're most likely sewing the sleeve in to the jacket)
    2. Acid Flask - Same thing what I suggested earlier with Poison Flask (can be used in recipes that need Aqua Regia and leaves an empty flask afterwards)
    3. Smelting should show the Smithing level icon in the ingot press rather than Tinkering. In fact, with skill levels like Ingoteer and Metallurgical Practitioner, Smelting should rely ONLY on Smithing. (it relies on the highest skill between Smithing and Tinkering)
    Does anyone know if you can make Blister Pack smelting encrusts using smithing?